“One of the best”

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
London, United Kingdom
“One of the best”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The hotel is splendid - a large, very old and untouched National Trust owned property at the end of Great Langdale. The location is just divine with the building huddled under the Langdale Pikes, the views are to die for. The bedrooms/bathrooms are well kitted, comfortable and totally quiet at night. Breakfasts are vast and provide sufficient fuel for a long hike in the mountains.
The main hikers bar is as you would expect not luxurious but in the wet weather that we experienced we and all of our wet gear/boots were made welcome (there is a separate "comfy" lounge bar). The selection of real ales is excellant and the bar menu is good and the portions are sufficient to satisfy the hungriest of hikers.
Hotel staff made us very welcome and the Owner very generously gave us a donation to the charity which was the subject of our sponsored wlak that weekend.
5 stars.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Visited just the bar so pardon me if you were looking for a hotel review. The location of the hotel is fabulous for all the grand walks in the region. The pub is fabulous with very good food and service and isn't too expensive either. People I spoke to said the hotel was good !

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I didn't stay at the hotel, but had drinks and dinner at the Hiker's bar this bank holiday weekend. We received terrible service! Two out of six mains were forgotten and eventually arrived over 1 hour late after multiple reminders to the staff. It would have been bearable, but the waiters were unbelievably rude. I could not believe some things that were said! The manager (or someone who claimed to be one) was also incredible dismissive and inappropriate. It was the worse customer service I received in the last 10 yrs of travelling.

On the positive note the chef was very helpful in the morning, gave us hiking directions, lent us a map.

The lamb although very late was tasty. The brownies were delicious too.
You can sit outside under the cover.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank KMtravellingtheworld
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I returned last week after a gap of nearly 10 years to find all the great things I remembered still there. I had been a regular as a fell-walker then, and had been to the Hikers' Bar for 30 years before that, since I was a Manchester Medic 1973-78 (at which time couldn't afford the hotel, had to stay at the camp site)......NOT that it is expensive, simply that it was I who was poor. The ambience is unequalled, a homely sitting room with log-fire as it was chilly outside, quirky bedrooms no two alike, absolutely no television anywhere, ( and my mobile phone had no signal) Breakfast can be as huge as you like it, thick back bacon, local sausage and eggs. All the bread rolls (and breakfast toast) are home made bread, as are the soups and all evening meals. Wait for the Dinner gong before your choice of traditional roast meats, salmon, halibut etc in portions appreciated by those who have come down from the hills, no poser-ish Nouvelle Cuisine here! And a beautiful silence and lack of street light at night, The sheep's dawn chorus will wake you if you leave the window open. Packed lunches are plentiful (order at breakfast), and the range of ales and lagers are good (I recommend the Lakeland 5% lager on draught) to wash down large chunks of flapjack and currant slice available at the bar! Book well in advance, though. I'm back in the autumn, and the page for that week looked half-full already...................

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Howard M
Wigton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The reviews are mixed for the ODG & I feel some of the negative views are from once only or impulse visitors, who don't really get the place. The ODG is a unique place, the walkers bar is just that a bar to drink good beer & eat basic hearty food to sustain & repair you after a hard days walk in the beautiful surroundings. The bar isn't some bijou wine & fine food establishment so don't expect it to be. The hotel is clean & functional for the same reasons as detailed above and the restaurant is aimed again at the outdoor market, the Drunken Duck is close by if you want a fine cuisine experience, this is an outdoor establishment of great character, history & if you don't like straight forward Cumbria folk or harden climbing mentality be aware that's what the staff are/have. I have stayed at the ODG too many times to count, when I want luxury, pampering & stuffed mange tout then I go else where, when I want tranquility, a clean bed, hot shower & an excellent pint of OP after a fabulous walk/climb then here is where I come. I have scored as excellent as for what I use & expect of the ODG it is excellent.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Juda96
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Good value for money with good service comfy beds and good food in the evening -

I will be returning for my next walking weekendThanks for making the weekend enjoyable.

Good Value for money for a good 2 star hotel

Room Tip: eat in the pub in hotel with the walkers and locals - very authentic - Good 2star quality hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 1 May 2014

A Lake District Classic. I used to drink in the climbers bar in my youth 30 years ago and I am glad to say that it has hardly changed. Go on a Wednesday night and you might be lucky enough to hear some local musicians. I had never stayed in the hotel before this week but it exceeded my expecations. Great staff, wonderfull sitting room filled with comfy old sofas for reading by the fire. You can choose whether to drink in the residents lounge or in the hustle and bustle of the climbers bar. The hotel rooms are beautifuly and recently decorated, no ensuite bathrooms but it is no trouble to walk down the corridor to your own private bathroom. Location wise this cannot be beat, walk straight out of the door and take your pick of some of the best walks in the Lake District from Scawfell Pike to Crinkle Crags. The bar food is excellent and the beer is great. Very good value also. I booked at short notice on my own and was given a double bedroom for a great price. I went for a walk in the morning (Scawfell Pike) and they were kind enough to let me use the bathroom to shower and change at 1:00pm before I drove on to my next destination.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo