“Four days of bliss”
Review of Slack Cottage

Slack Cottage
Ranked #37 of 103 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We have just returned from our stay at Slack Cottage,this visit was a surprise for my husbands 5oth birthday. HE WAS NOT DISSAPPOINTED. Wonderful views,best full english breakfast we have had for many years.
Liz and Chris are lovely people,with a wealth of local knowledge Thankyou to you both for welcoming us into your lovely home, we are looking forward to seeing you again in the near future. Lesley& Pete West Midlands

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank lelperry
There are newer reviews for Slack Cottage

Reviewed 31 October 2012

We stayed for four days, the location is quite remote which was great for us, the absolute quiet at night was bliss. Breakfasts were great big full English which kept us walking all day without having to stop to eat. Chris and Liz were great hosts loads of advice of where to eat or walk etc. The other reviews refer to lots of rules which there were some but all were reasonable, we felt like we were being welcomed into there home not just guests.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Gastos1
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Earlier this year I made the booking at Slack Cottage and planned to propose to my girlfriend there. The Owners, Liz and Chris, were very helpful and accommodating from the first phonecall. I wanted the stay to be a surprise. The Cottage was magical, from the setting to the decor. We were received with a warm welcome and made to feel at home, Liz and Chris had also helped me to arrange flowers and champagne in the room for our return from dinner. The breakfasts were amazing, so much choice and delicious. I really couldn't have asked for better for this special occasion and cannot wait to return once my fiance and I are married! I don't know where the other people giving one star and negative reviews stayed, but it certainly couldn't be at Slack Cottage!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank J_Mavir
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We booked the accommodation on line and received a letter giving detailed instructions on how to get there. However we would not be arriving until very late and advised our hosts of this. No problem and we were given instructions on where to find the key. It was a beautiful, comfortable bedroom with adequate en suite. Excellent breakfast. Helpful advice about walks and loan of a compass. Just what we wanted - off the beaten track - no television - it's good to read and talk!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Chris R
Reviewed 7 October 2012

It is astonishing that some have given positive reviews to this place. The location and property are admittedly lovely, but the hosts, if you could call someone who makes you feel unwelcome as possible a 'host', are the worst you are likely to come across. They are essentially aspiring snobs who are so full of bad will that it oozes out of them. Upon arrival you will be welcomed with a lists of do's and dont's that goes way beyon the usual: don't use the living room other than for breakfats, dont touch the books, don't walk too loud otherwise we will knock on the ceiling, dont leave your door open in case we see you when passing, etc, etc. If it was just a list of do's and dont's but a freindly reception that would be O.K. You essentially feel like you have imposed yourself upon them, rather than a paying guest. My wife was so upset staying there she didnt feel like going back at night to sleep. Staying here ruined our holiday.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
17  Thank simon s
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Admittedly I am posting this review late but I had such a poor experiecne with the hosts (mainly the female) that it is burned into my memory. I was so angry on my returned that I actually couldn;t write anything, although I pledged I would. So here it is.

I travelled here with my boyfriend August 2010 we booked it online. We arrived around 6 and our cheery smiles were greeted with something along the lines of 'well you're lucky we were still home, what time do you call this?'. Shocked we explained that we didnt realise that we needed to call to warn of our arrival since our booking was confirmed. She had wanted us to call or something and then asked why we hadn't replied to her letter (we never recieved a letter). Anyway not the most welcoming of welcomes.

She then proceeded to explain a list of dos and donts, take shoes off, don't touch books, etc... It was made clear to us that it is very much her own house and any guests are an intrusion. However the female owner would perhaps benefit from remembering that guests are paying for her to be able to live in such a priviledged location. I was made to feel a little bad being there. I see that other reviewers felt the same.

The house itself is beautiful and twee. Not sure about it belonging to Beatrix Potter , as she didnt mention that to us (maybe what she tells people from overseas). The walls however are very thin and you can hear the people in the neighbouring room. This wasn't a major problem though. The shower is enormous and big enough for two! The location is peaceful, we were told you could walk to Hawkes Head in twenty minutes by her but it took much, much longer. If we had known we would have driven. But i suppose it was fun, walking home in the dark using our phones for light. We even saw a badger! Hawkeshead is lovely and we returned to do some walks. Would recommend Hawkeshead.

The critical incident occured during breakfast, I I didn't eat the breakfast (although this was apprently very nice) but I used one of the plugs for my ipod charger and it blew a fuse blowing the electrics all upstairs. I was mortified but when she was informed and after her husband tried to fix it and at first, couldn't, she stormed up the stairs ENRAGED at me, shouting 'What did you do!???, This is going to cost us a fortune?!! We are going to have to call out a specialist and you are going to have to pay for it??!!! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING??'

She shouted at me as if I were a child. Never have I been spoken to like that by another (non-family member) adult in my life. Her arms were waving, face red and everything! Seriously!! I was in shock and couldn't even retaliate, almost speechless, squeaking out a 'sorry'. It was only after we had left that I realised how deeply unprofessional she was. Anyone would think I had blown a hole in the side of the wall rather than a fuse.

Anyway her husband came upstairs and was a little calmer and behaved professionally just calmly asking us to leave as soon as possibe. Well I had already decided I was out of there, half way through packing. Before we left he had fixed the problem. So not that big a deal then, huh?

I believe she apologised in some lame way to my boyfirend but I left, avoiding her, sitting in the car and she made no efforts to find me and apologise to ME, as she obviously knew she should. I had nothing to say to someone so rude.

There are tiny signs beside the plugs telling you that it should only be used for lights, but to be honest, its a guest house and if you want to have guests you need to sort out your electrics properly and not cut corners. Surely thats a safety hazard anyway. And if , heaven forbid, you do have an incident such as this, you do not act like a crazed, maniac blowing all things out of propertion.

To be fair, maybe she has changed her attitude by now and I admit her husband wasn't too bad, although he seemed to take a back seat in hosting. Regardless of this however I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE. AVOID.

Room Tip: avoud the hotel unless the female owner changes her attitude.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
16  Thank ZoeEnfield
SlackCott, Owner at Slack Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2012

There are a number of issues regarding this review. Time seems to have affected the accuracy of the event. Firstly, the writer cannot even remember my name which would prove that memory can't always be relied upon to paint a true picture. I would never say, " what time do you call this". I have never asked guests to take their shoes off, however I do show guests where to leave muddy shoes and boots. The Beatrix Potter connection is a matter of historic record. I see no reason to mention it to my guests while they are here. I have never told anyone that it takes 20 minutes to walk to Hawkshead. The most upsetting remark which is both untrue and malicious: so much so that I shall be talking to my Solicitor about it, is the 'red face and waving hands'!! I have never ever in my life reacted in that way and to state such a thing is totally untrue. Also, to say that Guests pay for me to live here is both mischievious and offensive.
My husband absolutely refutes the allegation that he, 'asked her to leave'. This is a ridiculous
invention. Sadly it is a fact of life that you cannot please all of the people all of the time. We have welcomed some wonderful people into our home, unfortunately, the majority who have enjoyed their stay can't be bothered to write on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

The cottage once belonged to Beatrix Potter and is located on a 10 acre property at the side of the Windermere lake. It gives a beautiful view of the Lake. It is approx 4kms from the Ambleside market and hence if you dont have your own coveyance you will end up spending almost £10 each way on taxi. Chris and Liz who own and run the place are very beautiful people. I had a hearty meal every morning which meant I always ended up skipping my lunch. As i was without a vehicle of my own, I was dependent on the local taxi service but Chris was kind enough to offer me a ride to the bus station or a nearby village. There are only two rooms. They are cosy. The owners have a good collection of movies and hence you can come back from your daily dose of roaming around to watch a classic.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank Backpackerslife
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
#2 of 23 in Hawkshead
Hillsdale in Ambleside
Hillsdale in Ambleside
#9 of 103 in Ambleside

Been to Slack Cottage? Share your experiences!