The Bridge Restaurant at Skelwith Bridge Hotel
Ranked #79 of 116 Restaurants in Ambleside
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Oh dear.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Frankly, this place -based on our visit - is not really a restaurant at all. It is dated, lacks any atmosphere, and has a poor menu. We visited because of the location, and because it was convenient. Lesson learnt. The menu was poor, badly served, and we left before finishing the mains. We went home and had a lovely cheese sandwich made with fabulous bread from Chesters (next door) at our holiday cottage - it was delicious. The food is borderline school dinners, and very unimaginative. We gave them two chances to get the main course right (according to their own menu) before we called it a night. The waiting staff 'did their best', but I do not have a clue what the chef was up to. Really poor - the setting deserves so much more. I am sure the food in the pub next door MUST be better.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Philip H

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
“Sadly, no hidden gem.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

First of all, it's worth saying that many TA reviews here are actually of The Talbot Bar which to my mind is definitely the better option (see separate review). On a walking holiday in The Lakes, one of our party was persuaded instead to book the set dinner in the restaurant. Things started badly and went downhill from there. On arrival (at the time we had booked) we were asked initially to sit outside the dining room which was strange since it was virtually empty. 'Outside' proved to be the hotel lobby and we were entertained by a stream of guests passing through to register, collect keys and chase errant infants.

Once seated, my initial impression was of staff who were pleasant and well-meaning but seemed over-stretched. More depressingly, the menu was written in the kind of pretentious language which invariably promises more than it can deliver. First courses included a small bowl of Botany Bay mussels, chicken liver pate and, in my case, English asparagus with a poached egg and hollandaise sauce. The asparagus itself was fine, although 3 spears seemed a meagre portion at the heart of the season, but the egg tasted of the vinegar in which it had been poached and the hollandaise sauce had split. The whole thing had the sheen of a dish that had sat too long on a hot plate before being served and my heart sank at what I thought would follow.

Main courses were again disappointing: plates had indeed been left too long under a heater with predictable consequences. My 'crisp sea bass' was overcooked and soggy, served on spatzle (noodles to you and me) with no hint of the oriental flavourings, including wasabi, which were promised. The bowl of mixed vegetables for the whole table included unseasoned cauliflower florets, discs of large carrots (the kind fed to horses down my way) and small cubes of roasted potatoes.

For dessert, which was offered after the 5 minute 'pause' suggested had got closer to 30, 3 of us opted for the vanilla cheesecake which had the over-sweetened textureless consistency of a cheap supermarket version and was swamped in a dark summer fruit compote. Coffee and mints were included in the £26.95 price which would have been reasonable value had the cooking been better.

I should add that the draught beer was good quality and well kept and, in fairness, that my less 'picky' friends enjoyed their meals more than I did mine.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank LaDolceVita27
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Amazing bar service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We walked down from Elterwater for some lunch.. The bar was quiet, and as soon as I looked at the hand pumps Ken gave a full description of the three real ales (without taking breath) and then offered a sample of each. I chose the Marston's New World which I had not tried before. My fish and chips for lunch was terrific, well it was Friday! But it's the fantastic friendly and professional service from Ken and Richard that was really memorable.

Visited May 2014
East Yorkshire
“Great Lunch with family in Talbots Bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We arrived at Talbots bar when it was sunny so all nine of us plus dog sat outside. The staff dealt with our GF questions as one of our group has to avoid gluten the bar staff and the chef were very helpful in ensuing she had a good variety of things to choose from. Then it started to rain, the staff helped us move inside where we were served all together with no delays and all the food was of a high standard and was very reasonably price. With drinks(more than one round0 and food for 9 it was below £150. We had a great time a great meal then had to set back off out in the rain !!!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank MrsP99
Pontefract, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We enjoyed every thing we ate over our two night stay. The raisin sauce with duck breast was yummy, the home made ice cream really creamy, vegetable selection varied and well cooked and presented, hubby enjoyed his stuffed pork with amazing crackling. Do give this place a try but you may need to book at busy times so check to avoid disappointment.

Visited September 2013