My Husband and I spent one night at the New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel during our recent UK Road trip. I wish that we had spent an entire weekend, as it was very lovely and relaxing.
We were given a room on the second floor over looking the side garden and it was perfect. It was so quiet, with a long interior hall that set it back from the other rooms. The bathroom and hallway were a few steps above the main bedroom, make the bedroom feel like a separate space. There was lots of natural light, especially in the bathroom. The bathroom had the added bonus of a heated towel rack and heated floors. It was clean, spacious and modern. I loved the room!
I also really enjoyed the downstairs lounge area, where we sat and used the free-wifi, another big bonus. This hotel isn't close to a lot, so it feels like a big escape from outside life. It's relaxing!
I thought that the breakfast that was included was really nice. They served great locally made yogurt and a full cooked breakfast.
We has the Sunday Roast in the bar, which led to a funny story. On the written hotel survey, I wrote that the "beef was a little fatty". I'm sure that they think I'm a crazy American, because my English husband got a good laugh and informed me that I had been eating lamb, not beef. It was the joke of the trip.
The staff was nice, but a little overwhelmed. They had just hired a bunch of new employees from Australia and we were there on their first week, while they were still getting the hang of things. They were all very friendly and trying their best, but we had to wait a long time for things and there were a few mix-ups. Nothing that was a big deal though.
This is a wonderful hotel in a very beautiful location. I highly recommend staying here!
Like my review? Check out my blog!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel is located in the picturesque Langdale Valley, close to the bustling small town of Ambleside and is situated conveniently for visiting many intersting areas of the Lake District, such as Grasmere, Bowness on Windermere, Keswick and Kendal. The Hotel prides itself on the cuisine served, the relaxed and friendly service it offers, as well as the excellent standards provided.All bedrooms enjoy the most dramatic of views, whether over Stickle Beck as it tumbles down the fellside, to the Pikes themselves all dominant and brooding or Lingmoor as she forms the long south easterly side of the valley. Each of the extremely comfortable rooms are en-suite with colour television and tea and coffee making facilities and central heating.The bright restaurant overlooks the patio and to the lawn with the Lakeland fells beyond. Before dining take the opportunity to sample the hand pulled beers or the many malt whiskies available in the cosy lounge bar.Resident chef, Ian Manley, now in his 12th year at the hotel and his small and enthusiastic team have devised a style of cooking which is unique to The New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel. Using only the finest seasonal local produce including game, meat and fish the hotel proudly claim an extremely high standard of cuisine that you will want to sample again and again. The excellent selection of dishes also extends to our range of vegetarian meals.The New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel is located in the very heart of the Lake District, one of the most beautiful and inspiring corners of England. This region of long ribbon lakes, green valleys and sweeping mountains was the home of the poets Wordsworth and Coleridge and greatly inspired their work. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Ebookers so you can book your New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New Dungeon Ghyll Ambleside
- New Dungeon Hotel
- Hotel New Dungeon Ghyll
- New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel Ambleside, Lake District