“Lovely Hotel, Gorgeous Location ( Avoid "Fatty Beef")”

New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My Husband and I spent one night at the New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel during our recent UK Road trip. I wish that we had spent an entire weekend, as it was very lovely and relaxing.

We were given a room on the second floor over looking the side garden and it was perfect. It was so quiet, with a long interior hall that set it back from the other rooms. The bathroom and hallway were a few steps above the main bedroom, make the bedroom feel like a separate space. There was lots of natural light, especially in the bathroom. The bathroom had the added bonus of a heated towel rack and heated floors. It was clean, spacious and modern. I loved the room!

I also really enjoyed the downstairs lounge area, where we sat and used the free-wifi, another big bonus. This hotel isn't close to a lot, so it feels like a big escape from outside life. It's relaxing!

I thought that the breakfast that was included was really nice. They served great locally made yogurt and a full cooked breakfast.

We has the Sunday Roast in the bar, which led to a funny story. On the written hotel survey, I wrote that the "beef was a little fatty". I'm sure that they think I'm a crazy American, because my English husband got a good laugh and informed me that I had been eating lamb, not beef. It was the joke of the trip.

The staff was nice, but a little overwhelmed. They had just hired a bunch of new employees from Australia and we were there on their first week, while they were still getting the hang of things. They were all very friendly and trying their best, but we had to wait a long time for things and there were a few mix-ups. Nothing that was a big deal though.

This is a wonderful hotel in a very beautiful location. I highly recommend staying here!

Like my review? Check out my blog!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen H
rebeccamanleyone, Manager at New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

What lovely comments, thanks very much.
We have had a few new staff arrive as our old ones are going traveling etc,,It sometimes takes a little time to get used to the hotel ways etc but are all bedded in and doing great now.

There are newer reviews for New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Hadn't stayed in Langdale for years and had been looking forward to the trip for several months. Unfortunately the weather was dreadful so spent little time out in the hills. The hotel though was fine (two nights there), very friendly and helpful staff, good food, great location (right at the bottom of the path to Stickle Tarn etc), small and fairly quiet, though busy. Next door is another bar/restaurant if you fancy a change - we went for drinks but had dinner in the hotel each night (they also provide a packed lunch for those venturing out, as we did). Hotel car park is quite small but everyone managed to squeeze theirs in. Will stay again, hopefully when the weather is better. Definitely a place for those liking the hills, though Ambleside isn't too far away.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Replying to this review on a beautiful frosty winters day, shame it cannot be like this all the time.
Thanks for your great comments and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We have stayed here in the past and found again it is a really nice hotel, was a little worried after readingsome of the comments but i have to say there are a lot of mis guided people around.
Our stay was really good the all British plus one Australian lady were very good attentive and very pleasant.
The quality of the produce served is first class the room was very clean with fantastic views down the valley.
I would Recommend a stay here anytime well done Rebbeca.

Room Tip: Room 17 and 18 really nice
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

It was lovely seeing you again, we get such a great number of repeat guests and we really appreciate all the kind comments we get, even the unkind ones if we can act upon them, but as mentioned previously you cannot please everybody.

See you soon.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We have stayed here a number of times over many years and were pleasantly surprised that the hotel had been refurbished. The views are stunning with many walks straight from the door. What more can you want for a relaxing break? Good food and a nice lounge with wood burner to relax in at the end of the day.

Room Tip: Room 10 has a dual aspect and room 14 is the largest room we have stayed in at this hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

It was lovely to see you again and thanks for great review.
We are carrying on with the refurbishment, as you mentioned we have 3 lovely new log burners, rooms 8 9 and 10 are starting the big refurbishment next week and our public toilets are being revamped and will be finished by January 2014.
Plenty to see hopefully on your next visit.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights during September 2013. We had such an enjoyable stay. The staff were very friendly, the service was great.

The hotel had the character that we expected, the rooms were very comfortable and clean too with a beautiful and peaceful outlook.

The restaurant meals exceeded our expectations, we were expecting a little above 'pub grub' and we received excellent quality dining. After a challenging day walking Bowfell, their walkers bar was a welcome sight with cracking local ales. I should also mention that the packed lunches available were spot on.

The location is a little over 15 mins drive outside of Ambleside, which was ideal to get out of the way of fellow tourists. We have recommended to others, and we will definitely come back again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

What lovely comments, as mentioned on previous responses all our food is home made and this does make a difference and our ales are well looked after.

Thanks for making the time to review us and hope too see you soon, look on our website for our great winter offers.

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Good homely cooked food. Fish and chips very large portion. If looking for somewhere posh to sit not for you. Walkers who have been out all day sharing stories and gd food. Quick service food freshly cooked. Good selection of ales.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thanks for your lovely comments, the fish and chips have proved to be a great success this year as have the real ales, we tend to keep the wainwright ale on at all times but also have ales of the month on.

Hope to see you next time you are visiting the langdales.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We got booked into this hotel on the wrong date- i asked for the recptionist to book me in on the date of the marathon so myself and my family could watch the runners. I didnt have internet connection at the time so I asked the receotionist if she could check the date, so she checked and said it was on the 29th september. I turned up at the hotel on this date and the marathon was a week before. We couldnt get a return of our deposit so we therefore had no choice but to stay.

The next day we had to mske our journey back home early. We got Into the hotel lobby at 7am. We asked the hotel staff if we could have some milk for our 1 year old daughter. They replied with "breakfast doesnt open till 7.30". We told them that we didnt want breakfast, just some milk, however they were just very rude and refused us of having this.
My family and I fele extremeky dissapointed that we had to endure this, The staff didnt meet to mine or my famikys basic needs. I emailed the hotel about this a week ago and still havent recieved a reply.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Johny_z4
rebeccamanleyone, Manager at New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

As mentioned in your reply to your email of complaint the langdale marathon has nothing to do with our hotel, we let them use our field for the start and finish of the race and for a car park and we donate raffle prizes. In your previous letter you were in the race in this complaint you were just watching, if you were in the race the date of the race would have been on your registration form. It is not even mentioned in our diary as many races leave the Langdale valley in the year.
It is up to the individual to check there dates.
You left the following morning at 7.30am, if you had asked for a early breakfast it could have been arranged, as I checked you into the hotel and I explained meal times etc.(Breakfast is served from 8.00 to 9.30am) Your wife asked myself on the Monday morning if you could have early breakfast, I explained that I could go and set it up and would give you a call when I had done so, I came back to reception at 7.45am but you had gone. There was absolutely no mention of milk for the baby as we could of filled a bottle for you and If asking about the health of your baby( as she had fallen and had a cut nose) is classed as being rude I apologise.