The hotel is in a quiet location in Great Langdale, surrounded by hills on all sides. There are at least 20 walks that can be taken nearby and the hotel sells the book with them in. The manager runs the hotel very efficiently and her husband is the head chef. The service is friendly by a mix of Australians and locals. We ate in the restaurant on an all inclusive 5 night dinner,bed and breakfast midweek deal. The 4 course menu was changed every 2 days with a selection of home made bread,4 starters, sorbet or soup, 4 mains , and 4 desserts / cheese so there was plenty variety for us. We enjoyed all the meals we had and there was plenty of it. Vegetables to go with the main course changed daily. The restaurant was open from 6-8.30pm and you did not need to book a time. Breakfast was 8-930am and a good selection of cooked English breakfast,cereals etc available.
Mobile phones generally don't work at the hotel but do once you move uphill. There is Wifi which we weren't expecting having read previous reports. It works in the residents lounge and some rooms. We had room16 superior on 2nd floor ( 4 nights) and room 7 standard on 1st floor (1night) and the wifi worked in both. We had booked a standard room but decided on seeing that the superior room gave more space and a larger bed size (5 foot I think) we opted for that and would in future. The bathroom was also bigger in room 16 so gave us room to store suitcases etc. Having said that the first floor windows were larger so the room a bit lighter. We would definitely return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel is located in the picturesque Langdale Valley, close to the bustling small town of Ambleside and is situated conveniently for visiting many intersting areas of the Lake District, such as Grasmere, Bowness on Windermere, Keswick and Kendal. The Hotel prides itself on the cuisine served, the relaxed and friendly service it offers, as well as the excellent standards provided.All bedrooms enjoy the most dramatic of views, whether over Stickle Beck as it tumbles down the fellside, to the Pikes themselves all dominant and brooding or Lingmoor as she forms the long south easterly side of the valley. Each of the extremely comfortable rooms are en-suite with colour television and tea and coffee making facilities and central heating.The bright restaurant overlooks the patio and to the lawn with the Lakeland fells beyond. Before dining take the opportunity to sample the hand pulled beers or the many malt whiskies available in the cosy lounge bar.Resident chef, Ian Manley, now in his 12th year at the hotel and his small and enthusiastic team have devised a style of cooking which is unique to The New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel. Using only the finest seasonal local produce including game, meat and fish the hotel proudly claim an extremely high standard of cuisine that you will want to sample again and again. The excellent selection of dishes also extends to our range of vegetarian meals.The New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel is located in the very heart of the Lake District, one of the most beautiful and inspiring corners of England. This region of long ribbon lakes, green valleys and sweeping mountains was the home of the poets Wordsworth and Coleridge and greatly inspired their work. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotel.de, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New Dungeon Ghyll Ambleside
- New Dungeon Hotel
- Hotel New Dungeon Ghyll
- New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel Ambleside, Lake District