“Delicious”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Delicious food - between my boyfriend and I we had the goats cheese and terrine to start, duck and beef for main and sticky toffee pudding and crème brulee to finish, cleared plates all absolutely delicious. Great value. Friendly service. Went on a Saturday evening, booked in advance which was a necessity as four couples had to be turned away during our meal as they had not booked. Next time in Ableside we will be back.

ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

WICKED review!!
atelier is ALWAYS on Cloud Nine when Diners are Happy with EVERYTHING.
Compliments? OUT OF SIGHT!!
As you are not TOO far away, see you again??
THANK YOU.
Ethna

There are newer reviews for Atelier

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We ate out every night on our week long trip to Ambleside. This was one of the better restaurants and the food certainly was very good. However, we felt as though we were sitting in someone's living room. It was very quiet when we arrived and then some strange 80's mix music was put on. In fact, it seemed to me that quite a few of the restaurants in Ambleside seem to have the same 80's mix music tracks. As I have written in another review, I feel that some restaurants underestimate how much the background music affects the whole experience.

ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

MANY, MANY thanks for your positive comments. Delighted you had an enjoyable time.
Sorry that the music was not to your taste; it is very eclectic, ranging from '50s to current, from Jazz, Classical and Popular.
Hope it wont stop you from re-visiting??

Reviewed 27 May 2014

My wife and I, along with my mother-in-law, visited Atelier on the evening of Saturday 17th May.
We found the staff to be very helpful and chatty, and the food was delicious.
If we were back in Ambleside, we would love to go back.
Many thanks for providing such great food and service.

ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

The Writer remembers you well - smashing people, and a treat to serve.
Thank you MILLIONS for the fabulous compliments - much appreciated.
Look forward to seeing you again - soon??

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We booked here for a first night meal in the Lake District after reading the reviews and were certainly not disappointed! The staff were welcoming and attentive and there was a good range of menu options. Starters were excellent. My daughter had the sea bass main which was exceptional & I had the beef which was also superb. We will be returning on our next Lakeland visit.

ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

The Writer has been absent due to a much needed hiatus.
BUT, She is back, and is greeted by your WONDERFUL review!!
Thrilled to bits that you had such a great time at atelier, especially pleased the FOOD was so enjoyable - Chef is HAPPY!!
Much thanks

Reviewed 21 May 2014

My welcome was warm and I got very excited when I sat down and saw in front of me a board offering "wine of the week Chateau Musar £24.95p". I told the waitress this was my favourite wine (and at what I thought was a remarkably good price for a restaurant - you would pay £15 to £20 in a wine shop for this) so I ordered a bottle. It rapidly became clear why the price was so good when she brought over a bottle saying there was a "slight change" and it was not actually Chateau Musar but its much cheaper and inferior Hochar - made by the same winery but of a very different quality. Indeed I would expect the Chateau Musar to be at least twice the price of the Hochar. However the price charged was still £24.95p. This then set a very sour tone for the evening. Having then looked at their permanent wine list that also advertised "Chateau Musar" at £24.95p so it is clear that they permanently advertise the significantly inferior wine as the much superior wine.

What I can't understand is why they do this. My guess is that 95% of their customers have never heard of Chateau Musar which is a very fine wine (from Lebanon) for the cognoscenti. So the run of the mill customers wouldn't know the difference and the ones that do know would like me be very annoyed.

The two waitresses were charming and most welcoming, The atmosphere was nice and my starter was good. My main course of couscous with chicken and chorizo however was poor - indifferent couscous and vegetable stew with just a lump of grilled chicken breast stuck on top.

So overall my impression was an average restaurant with grossly misleading advertising of wine. Trading standards where are you!

5  Thank John M
ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

That YOU are a member of that ELITE group, 'The COGNOSCENTI', fills The Writer with both AWE and ENVY!!!!!!!!!
Joking aside.
The difference between the wines was explained to you PRIOR to your ordering!!
Not wishing to be pedantic BUT, whilst BOTH are Chateau Musar wines, the Hochar is the lighter of the two - NOT INFERIOR but different. Having the GIFT you must realize that wines from the SAME chateau can/do VARY!!!!
Having said that, if you thought the Hochar not as good why order it????????????
Trading Standards - for whom??
You say there are 'RUN OF THE MILL' customers and those like YOU?? No doubt, perceptive TA readers will see your philippic for what it is - sanctimonious/disparaging.
Being a 'Senior' reviewer your nose will lead you to better than 'average' eateries - poor them, lucky atelier!
Telle joie.