“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We were very much looking forward to our trip to this 'restaurant' after reading the very positive reviews on TA. Unfortunately some of the negative comments made on previous reviews regarding the food turned out to be quite pertinent.

Perhaps due to it's town centre location, this is a small café/ restaurant that you might drop in for a bite to eat, several diners were wearing flipflops/ old sandals on our visit and there were no tablecloths. I mention this because I picked up some previously leftover food, hidden on the black marble table, on my shirt sleeve.

The staff were very friendly however it's a little disconcerting to hear the person in charge ask the waitress to go and ask table x if everything is ok, which it was, at the time.

The food was pretty poor. I've seen the pictures of the meal I ordered on the Atelier website and frankly it bore no resemblance. I had the Sea Bass, which consisted of 2 small fried fillets, criss crossed with 2 prawns on top and perhaps 2 tablespoons of a cheesy liquid with half a dozen peas in it, £16.95. I guess you can call it 'prawns' in the plural if there's two but I make a decent Risotto myself and I only remembered it was Risotto when I looked again at the website. Also, there were no vegetables, maybe you can pay extra for this quaint old English tradition?!

Perhaps I'm being critical having only a few days earlier eaten at the Grasmere Hotel, which was first class and very reasonably priced.

7  Thank RazzyBthefirst
ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

The Writer saw your ESSAY and wondered whether to reply in kind.
Thank goodness SENSIBILITY won the day!!!
Replying to such tosh results in energy loss.
A word of advice - if one may be SO bold - do not mention/compare other eateries in the same review as your personal taste becomes somewhat SUSPECT!!
'NUFF SAID!!

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Came here with my wife and baby daughter. We where made to feel extremely welcome by the front of house duo, even though we carted in a baby and all that goes along with it.
The wine was awesome.The menu was varied and the vegetarian options just as appealing, I still ordered the steak though :) which was perfect and my wife's duck just as good. Desert was a taster style which is definatly the way to go. Delicious. All in all a very well put together restaurant experience. I totally recommend it. Thanks Atelier.

1  Thank amundy
ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

The Writer remembers you VERY well - it was Baby Ada who stole the show - SOOOO cute!!
A MILLION thank yous for the awesome compliments - Chef was singing (Oh Dear) upon reading your review!!
Hope to see you again - don't forget Ada!!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

This is one of many good restaurants in Ambleside. The food is a mix of Mediterranean styles. I started with Tapenade which was lovely, followed by Couscous and Chicken which was very tasty. I didn't have room for a sweet,but my husband had Creme Brûlée which he wasn't very impressed with as the Brûlée was soft. Our friends had Sticky Toffee pudding which they enjoyed. The service was good but the sitting area was rather cramped.

3  Thank Pat H
ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you VERY much for a super review.
Delighted your Group enjoyed an atelier evening.
Sorry, about the Brulee being soft - not too sure if you meant the creamy inside which is soft or the topping?
But, again appreciation for the compliments.
See you again soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We love the place and the food so much we come each year. Great well cooked local meats. French flavours. Excellent deserts . Lovely for a special occasion or just a simple night out. Book in advance! Very friendly staff....

1  Thank Angela B
ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

It is ALWAYS a pleasure to welcome your Party to atelier!
That you make such lovely sounds about Chef's Menu is indeed heartening, particularly as you travel from Belgium to experience the same each year!!
Fabulous compliments, thank you.
See you in 2015?

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Always walked by this place - what a mistake this turned out to be. Stunning food served with real personality, nothing to much trouble for the staff on duty.
The portion size is just right allows you to enjoy every course.
Got to recommend the sea bass and prawns simply gorgeous
We got there early but judging how busy it was by the time we left might be wise to book ( and this was a Wednesday night)
Will definitely be back for another visit on our next visit to Ambleside

1  Thank Steve Y

No YOU are STUNNING!!!
What a simply AMAZING review.
You are the type of Diner who puts one's faith back in Mankind!!!
To actually come across such positive/kind comments makes up for the rather deliberate negative
malevolence that can appear on TA.
Chef and Staff thank you MUCH.
See you again??