“Quality food and very nice presentation”
Review of Atelier - CLOSED

Atelier
Price range: US$24 - US$31
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was something different from the other restaurants in Ambleside. Quality food and not just some fish and chips and burgers. Here you get excellent fresh ingredients presented nicely on your plate. Nice daily suggestions and very friendly service. A perfect evening!

1  Thank Jef V

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Dinner 4 adults 15 August.
Celebrated my 70 birthday with my wife and two sons and chose Atelier following TripAdvisor reviews. Location was less than 50 metres from our B&B and near town centre. The greeting we received followed by the attentive service was much appreciated. The food and wine was to our taste and proved good value for money at about £250 including tip. Perfect for the occasion.

1  Thank St_Geordie
Reviewed 17 August 2014

A rainy night in Ambleside and we were left standing by the dripping coat stand whilst the only waitress finished chatting to diners. Not a great start.

Having seen the desserts and not being too thrilled with the choice of starters we all decided to go for mains & desserts. Rump of Lakeland Lamb came with steak knives: not a good sign. Flavour was very good but those knives were necessary. Sicilian Arancini could have been dry but were moist and tasty. If I'm being picky I know some who would be put off by an over-dressed salad but it suited me fine. Moroccan couscous with chicken and chorizo was a generous portion and full of flavour.

We tried 4 different desserts: my chocolate and orange tart had a great flavour but the pastry crust was too solid to get a spoon/fork through. Orange sorbet was more like a water-ice and the basket it came in a little tough. The same brandy snap baskets came with the crème brûlée and sticky toffee pudding. Panna cotta was a perfect consistency and flavour. I'd say the crème brûlée was the best of the puds.

I've nit-picked a little in my fault-finding and my 4/5 rating sums up our overall dining experience. Our waitress was in fact very amiable and engaged our autistic son in conversation (revealing that she worked at a Special Needs school) which he will remember for years to come.

1  Thank othersideofthewold
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I took the missus here for her birthday based on the reviews I read here. Couldn't agree more with the general consensus; food was excellent, as was the service, atmosphere, and price. Would highly recommend to anyone, and we'll definitely be back. Plus I'm in the missus' good books for once now ;)

1  Thank Marcus P
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Friendly service. Good food served in pleasant surroundings.

I enjoyed crab cakes for starters followed by sea bass.

The young lady that served us looked after us very well.

She even sorted us a Taxi, not easy 10.30 on a wet Saturday night.

Many thanks.