“Shoddy Service”

Ranked #50 of 121 Restaurants in Ambleside
Dining options: Reservations
Description: La22 9nz
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I really want to be fair, especially after our discussion with the owner about the poor level of service, but it's difficult. I think it's best to summarise by explaining that the owner did not know the difference between ' catering' and ' hospitality'. His complacent and indifferent attitude gave us satisfaction that we were not wrong to complain.
The root of our dissatisfaction was the rudeness of the staff who actually complained to us about our not being ready to order dinner at exactly the required time and their inflexibility when it came to moving tables because of the close proximity to other guests. Sighs and eye-rolling are not what you expect; the chastisement for moving to the next, unoccupied, room was totally unacceptable.
What a shame as this place is in a wonderful setting, but then, so was Fawlty Towers!

3  Thank BritTravellerTim

Reviewed 10 February 2013

We have visited the Three Shires many times over the years as a family, to use the bar and restaurant. While the accommodation and restaurant has gone up-market, the cosy bar still warmly welcomes hikers. There is also a lovely beer garden for those rare sunny days. The food is at the higher end of bar meal prices but the quality is very good and well worth the cost. We have had some fun times in the evening having beers here. The landlady is welcoming and keeps a very fine place in what is quite an isolated area (although more busy than it used to be). There are great walks that start and end at the Three Shires. One which takes in several drinking holes and which is ideal for a hot summer days hiking. Start in Little Langdale, taking the path at the side of Wilson Place Farm to Elterwater, (Britannia Inn). Then back over the bridge and take the road/paths to Chapel Stile (Wainwrights Inn), follow the pathway up the valley to Great Landale, stopping maybe at the New Dungeon Ghyll and then the Old Dungeon Ghyll before climbing up the hill and following the paths and road back to the Three Shires for a well deserved pint!!

Reviewed 3 November 2012

A party of 11 of us had a meal in this pub just over a couple of weeks ago. It was a disastrous meal and I have tried to take my concerns up with the owner rather than immediately put a poor review up. Unfortunately, his response was not good. I phoned one week ago and he promised to speak to his wife/partner and ring me back in 2-3 days. He hasn't done this so I am now writing an honest review having given him the opportunity to put this right. I raised my concerns as follows: terrible service with the exception of one foreign worker who was very polite and helpful but finished not long after we arrived. We were in fairness late arriving due to an incident whilst some of us were out walking. We sent most of the party on ahead to explain and apologise and all arrived before the time of last orders at 2100hrs. When the last of us arrived we put our order in immediately and before 2100hrs but were told that we couldn't have starters as it was too late! Very poor. Last orders is last orders surely. Our meals were good although vegetables poor and certainly not enough potatoes for 11 people.My son burnt his hand on a hot plate handed to him by a young man who didn't warn him that the plate was hot. Our plates were cleared as we finished rather than waiting for alll to finish which I find rude. We definately felt hurried. We were offered deserts in a hurried and ungrateful manner. We were told it was too late for coffee. I find this unacceptable when we had spent so much money there. Last orders for drinks were called very loudly at 2230hrs and we felt pushed out. Everything was removed from us very quickly and the lights unceremoniously turned off at 2235 hrs whilst we were still getting our coats on and things together. All in alll completely abominal service. We will not return. I think a previous reviewer who commented on the service was right in saying that the pub relies on its location bringing in the business and feels no need to put in the effort because people will come anyway. In the current climate I don't think this will continue to be the case. The owners need to think seriously about their attitude to business. I felt that the co owner I spoke to was very unprofessional. He tried to blame us for late arrrival and a bad atmosphere as a minor family argument had taken place early on prior to us ordering or everyone being present. This was quickly resolved and the bad atmosphere that followed was due to to the way we were treated. The owner wsn't proactive about rectifying anything and unwilling to accept that they could have been at fault. Avoid.

1  Thank TheresaNewport
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I have been going tothe lakes for yonks and never been until last month. Friends were staying so we went for an evening meal. The selection was wide and the service pormpt with a smile. Two sections of the pub were dog friendly so you don't have to leave Fido outside. Enjoyed it so much we went again 2 nights later!

Reviewed 10 August 2012 via mobile

Beer, great. Food, wonderful, especially the steaks and pie. Deserts are lovely too. Been here a few times for lunch and an evening meal, always really good.