We booked four rooms at Skelwith Bridge Hotel as a base for our Lake District cycling weekend. We were all allocated rooms in the annexe building across the car park, although this was not an issue as it was only some 20 paces from the main hotel and nice and quiet as there are only six rooms in the annexe.
The rooms were very clean and there was plenty of hot water. We stayed on a Dinner Bed & Braeakfast rate and the food was both good and plentiful. The three course evening meal worked out at just £14 over and above the B&B rate which represented very good value for money. The breakfast was also very good with a large choice.
The hotel decor is very traditional, bordering on a little tired, but this only adds to the character and feels very welcoming. Some hotels in the lakes are too polished and pretentious and do not make you feel welcome - the same cannot be said for Skelwith Bridge.
Finally the staff were really accommodating and friendly and nothing was any troubole. All in all an excellent place for a weekend or longer break and it is positioned very centrally to some fantatsic wallking & cycling areas - we will be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly located just a short drive from Ambleside, away from the hustle and bustle is Skelwith Bridge. Informal gardens merging seamlessly with the surrounding countryside, real log fires in the winter months and a traditional welcome, Skelwith bridge Hotel really is "your home away from home" The hotel boasts 28 bedrooms, all en-suite and all retaining the character of the original building. We are pleased to offer single, twin, double and king sized rooms available for bed and breakfast or dinner bed and breakfast at fantastically affordable prices all year round. We welcome a whole host of families with children young and old, couples, singles and four legged friends too! The hotel is a fell walkers paradise with many varied easy and more strenuous walks from our doorstep! We even have a drying room available for those wet days ... not that we have too many of those in The Lakes! A host of attractions and other activities are just a short drive or bus ride away including sailing, cycling, mountain biking, fishing, bird watching, golf, shopping, bars and restaurants, the historic houses of Wordsworth, Beatrix Potter and Ruskin, the market towns of Keswick and Kendal, Grasmere and its world famous gingerbread, Take a cruise on the lakes with the steamers, the lakes aquarium at lakeside, traditional steam railway at Haverthwaite, Manicured gardens at Holker hall, and many more attractions too numerous to list! Our reception staff are always happy to suggest local attractions or walks and we have lots of information in our showcase at reception. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Skelwith Bridge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Skelwith Bridge Ambleside
- Hotel Skelwith Bridge
- Skelwith Bridge Hotel Ambleside, Lake District