Me and my wife decided to give this place a try for our evening meal after calling in earlier on in the day after a walk. We didn't have lunch earlier on but decided to have tea for two, this cost just £1.90 and when it arrived it consisted of a large pot of tea with another pot of hot water and four large shortcake biscuits (really good value for money). We decided to look at the evening menu and noticed that the meals were reasonable priced for the Lake District as well as seeing and smelling the lunch menu that was being served to other people in the bar.
We arrived at 7pm and ordered one starter of homemade chicken liver pate (which was the best I’ve tasted in ages) and two Steak and Ale homemade pies. We were not disappointed with the quality or quantity of our main courses and were thoroughly stuffed at the end of the meal.
The Talbot is a nice place to eat and certainly value for money ( considering other places we have eaten) and the next time we are up in that region of the Lake District we will certainly give it another visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly located just a short drive from Ambleside, away from the hustle and bustle is Skelwith Bridge. Informal gardens merging seamlessly with the surrounding countryside, real log fires in the winter months and a traditional welcome, Skelwith bridge Hotel really is "your home away from home" The hotel boasts 28 bedrooms, all en-suite and all retaining the character of the original building. We are pleased to offer single, twin, double and king sized rooms available for bed and breakfast or dinner bed and breakfast at fantastically affordable prices all year round. We welcome a whole host of families with children young and old, couples, singles and four legged friends too! The hotel is a fell walkers paradise with many varied easy and more strenuous walks from our doorstep! We even have a drying room available for those wet days ... not that we have too many of those in The Lakes! A host of attractions and other activities are just a short drive or bus ride away including sailing, cycling, mountain biking, fishing, bird watching, golf, shopping, bars and restaurants, the historic houses of Wordsworth, Beatrix Potter and Ruskin, the market towns of Keswick and Kendal, Grasmere and its world famous gingerbread, Take a cruise on the lakes with the steamers, the lakes aquarium at lakeside, traditional steam railway at Haverthwaite, Manicured gardens at Holker hall, and many more attractions too numerous to list! Our reception staff are always happy to suggest local attractions or walks and we have lots of information in our showcase at reception. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Skelwith Bridge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Skelwith Bridge Ambleside
- Hotel Skelwith Bridge
- Skelwith Bridge Hotel Ambleside, Lake District