I just can't remember the year of my first visit to Skelwith - it was many years ago and on the recommendation of my late husband's boss. It has consistently given us a comfortable and thoroughly enjoyable holiday with a clean well furnished room, and an excellent restaurant, or bar food if you prefer. Either way you certainly won't be disappointed. I'm not a dog owner myself, but the easygoing attitude towards allowing well behaved dogs into the hotel seems appreciated (and that's just the dogs!) and I've never had a room where I could detect "odour of dog" remaining. All the staff are efficient and friendly and only too pleased to help if you need them. The hotel in general is full of traditional Cumbrian character and warmth, with fires burning in the grates in winter, and a drying room for wet boots and clothes (well this IS the Lake District, and you aren't going to stay in just because it's raining are you?). Give it a try, you'll love it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly located just a short drive from Ambleside, away from the hustle and bustle is Skelwith Bridge. Informal gardens merging seamlessly with the surrounding countryside, real log fires in the winter months and a traditional welcome, Skelwith bridge Hotel really is "your home away from home" The hotel boasts 28 bedrooms, all en-suite and all retaining the character of the original building. We are pleased to offer single, twin, double and king sized rooms available for bed and breakfast or dinner bed and breakfast at fantastically affordable prices all year round. We welcome a whole host of families with children young and old, couples, singles and four legged friends too! The hotel is a fell walkers paradise with many varied easy and more strenuous walks from our doorstep! We even have a drying room available for those wet days ... not that we have too many of those in The Lakes! A host of attractions and other activities are just a short drive or bus ride away including sailing, cycling, mountain biking, fishing, bird watching, golf, shopping, bars and restaurants, the historic houses of Wordsworth, Beatrix Potter and Ruskin, the market towns of Keswick and Kendal, Grasmere and its world famous gingerbread, Take a cruise on the lakes with the steamers, the lakes aquarium at lakeside, traditional steam railway at Haverthwaite, Manicured gardens at Holker hall, and many more attractions too numerous to list! Our reception staff are always happy to suggest local attractions or walks and we have lots of information in our showcase at reception. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Skelwith Bridge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Skelwith Bridge Ambleside
- Hotel Skelwith Bridge
- Skelwith Bridge Hotel Ambleside, Lake District