“Reliably good” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Sheffield
“Reliably good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

I just can't remember the year of my first visit to Skelwith - it was many years ago and on the recommendation of my late husband's boss. It has consistently given us a comfortable and thoroughly enjoyable holiday with a clean well furnished room, and an excellent restaurant, or bar food if you prefer. Either way you certainly won't be disappointed. I'm not a dog owner myself, but the easygoing attitude towards allowing well behaved dogs into the hotel seems appreciated (and that's just the dogs!) and I've never had a room where I could detect "odour of dog" remaining. All the staff are efficient and friendly and only too pleased to help if you need them. The hotel in general is full of traditional Cumbrian character and warmth, with fires burning in the grates in winter, and a drying room for wet boots and clothes (well this IS the Lake District, and you aren't going to stay in just because it's raining are you?). Give it a try, you'll love it!

Room Tip: Rooms are more spacious if you pay more for the newer extension part of the hotel rather than the or...
1 Thank Pollybeem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

Having just returned from my sixth visit to the Hotel, I can really not fault it, especially for the service, food and value for money.
My recent visits, have been with my Sons, one of whom is Head Chef at le Bistro des Amis in Skipton, and the other being a Chef de Partie at The Box Tree in Ilkley, and although all three of us can be ultra critical, it is difficult to find fault!
The Table d'hote menu is comprehensive enough for all tastes in the dining room, where a friendly and efficient atmosphere prevails.
Bar drinks are at a reasonable price, as is the comprehensive wine list!
Having stayed in both the Hotel rooms and the Annexe, I must say that they are all clean and well presented, but I personally prefer the latter for the views over the river and valley! My only criticism being that they used to have a stand of umbrellas in the Annexe available for residents to use on the short stroll to the main building in the event of rain!
An effective plate warmer, would also be a bonus, as their crockery tends to act as a secondary cooking utensil, with eggs still frying on the plate at breakfast, hot, but not red hot please!
A super place for exploring the Lakes, and higly reccomended!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Restrateur
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

We had a wonderfull stay, evening meal very well presented and cooked as was breakfast, the "grill" nearly beat my lady! Despite the wet weather, well it is the lakes, the hotel was excellent and the lady on reception went to great lengths to find and organise a taxi to enable us to get to and from Langdale to see my lady's granddaughter a fine example of service. Only fault was the early morning call from the local cockrel!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Biddys78
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

~Stayed at skelwith hotel 19-20th july 2012 took our little shih tzu dog, had a lovely time room was lovely clean no dog odour considering this is a dog friendly, staff lovely, food was really good, would stay again

Room Tip: room 10 had great view
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

We were attending a wedding close by and needed overnight accomodation,
we had a de luxe room and even though the decor and bathroom was a bit dated it was spotless and had all the liitle extras ,eg kettle assortment of teas and coffee and biscuits morning and night. we had a fabulous view from room 12. the breakfast the next morning was fabulous, put many 5 star luxury hotels to shame!! wonderful choice all freshly cooked to order and served by friendly and very helpful staff. Would definately stay again and excellent value.

Hinckley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Huge positives, irritating negatives! We have been visiting the Talbot Bar for years now and recently it seems to have slipped for some reason.
Firstly this bar serves simply the Best Steak and Ale pie I (and many people we've been with) have ever found!!! Proper homemade, chunky delicious steak and pastry with lovely gravy and good portions of chips and veg! The problems however are that they Never, ever have enough on a lunchtime or evening service.... We recently went for an early lunch (served 12-3pm) arriving at 12:15 with know one else in the bar and checked the pie was on, to be told they had only 3 portions left.....how is this possible to only make 3?!? The problem occurs in the evening also, regularly.
The service seems a little lack recently also with our party waiting for over 40 mins a few times.
This bar has all the potencial : an amazing pie, good pub style menu, excellent ales and a nice relaxed atmosphere, just let down by poor service and lack of the best meal!!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Stirling, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in June with my partner, along with my parents and grandparents and I had a very pleasent stay. Our luxury double room was spacious and well decorated, very clean - amazing bathroom, the jacuzzi bath is ideal after a long days walking.

The food was not as great as I expected (having stayed here several times a few years back) with smaller portions and less well cooked meat than previous. Some of the desserts tasted a little bit bought in, I would reccommend the cheese board which is well worth it!

I wouldn't recommend this place to young couples, I enjoyed it as I was with my family but on reflection if it was me and my partner I would choose somewhere with a more lively atmosphere (this is a middle aged an over hotel, I do not mean that offensively in anyway as my parents and grandparents love it here - in fact they re-booked for the day we checked out).

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the luxury rooms, the space and bath are worth it!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family