“Nice room, great location but over priced.”
Review of The Regent Hotel

The Regent Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Reviewed 4 November 2009

I stayed at this Hotel after doing a search on line for hotels in Ambleside, the reviews seemed quite good. I didn't book ahead but called the hotel directly on the day of arrival and was offered a lake view room for 115 pounds based on single occupancy, including breakfast, this equated to approx $220 Australian. Having never been to this area before I thought this was what was around the general price I would be expected to pay for a room in this area, so I booked the room for 2 nights. On arrival the reception area was a little chaotic, the staff were friendly but I had to wait for the person that took my booking to get off the phone as the staff member that greeted my tried to put me in a room that wasn't lake view. I was eventually checked into room 7, it was a small room with a double bed, ensuite, clean, and had nice views of the Lake. The room however, directly faced onto a main road with street lighting, I am a light sleeper and the light and the noise from the traffic during the night did wake me a number of times. Previously that evening I ventured accross the road to an absolute direct Lake front Hotel called the Wateredge Inn(see my review), I enquired as to what accommodation they had and was shown a single bed ensuite room with direct lake views at a cost of 50pounds, approx $100 Australian. Their room was great, very clean and comfortable, that lead me to believe I was paying too much for my room at the Regent. I had breakfast at the Regent which was very good and again the staff were friendly. However after considering the price I was paying for the room and the disturbed sleep I had, I decided to cancel the second nights accommodation. I then ventured across the road and booked into the Wateredge Hotel for 50 pounds. In summary the hotel is fine but considering the room I was offered directly across the road in an absolute Lakeside Hotel as a substantially better price I felt I paid too much for my single occupancy room at the Regent.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,261)

Reviewed 3 November 2009

We stayed in a garden suite for 2 nights as part of our honeymoon. When we arrived we were shown to our room but when we went inside it hadn't been cleaned or made up for us. The lady from reception realised the mistake and came back, assuring us it would be made a priority and suggested we came back in half an hour. (It would have been nice if she'd offered a complimentary coffee while we waited as it we hadn't arrived early!!)

When we finally got back into the room it was very clean, very large and is clearly newly decorated.

The breakfast was ok and a real treat that they served it till 12pm so we could have a lie in!

We were in a separate building from the main hotel and didn't use any of the facilities or dine in the restaurant as we prefer to go out for the evening. The hotel part felt quite corporate so we were pleased we had gone for a garden suite.

There were no real complaints to make but we didn't feel it was really worth the money we paid. The staff were nice enough but for the money we paid, and bearing in mind we were on our honeymoon we expected a little more.

The hotel also advertises free broadband but we couldn't get connected in our room.

Reviewed 31 October 2009

We have stayed at this hotel for many years for short breaks and have been met with friendly staff each time. We have stayed in the hotel bedrooms but prefer the garden rooms. The food has always been good, just a bit of a blip this time with the steak on the second evening which was sorted out but still not up to the usual standard not sure whether the main chef was not on duty, but this will certainly not put us off staying again and look forward to our next visit.

Reviewed 30 October 2009

Situated perfectly for a walking holiday. The hotel is friendly, warm, staff are very helpful, even with picky teenagers at dinner! Nothing is too much trouble. The food is excellent, good choice of wines. The breakfast is superb, and will keep you going all day till dinner. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2009

Just spent a five day break here. From we arrived on Friday until we left on Sunday we were treated as if we were important to the hotel. All of the staffwere very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We found the room and the public rooms spotless. The menu was varied and the food was good, well presented and quickly served. The hotel is an ideal base for some relaxed walking in this area of the lake district. we have stayed here at this time of year for the last five or six years and we look forward to our next visit.
Eileen and Henry Steele. belfast

Reviewed 20 October 2009

good quality modern fittings ,attentive staff but not in your face all the time.ar5ealistic 15 min. walk into town.£20 set menue really good value

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
RegentLakes, Manager at The Regent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2009

Thank you Mr& Mrs Wetman for your lovely review.Our team is delighted and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the Regent soon. Thanks again for your trouble.

Reviewed 29 September 2009

we arrived at the regent hotel on time for check in, everything appeared lovely, a very pleasant gentleman arrived to escort us to our room, which from the outside looked cosy and just what we needed.
upon entering our room we were quite astounded at the size, the website had said that our garden suite was large in size with lounge areas etc. in actual fact it was a standard sized hotel room, if not smaller. There was no DVD player in our room as suggested, none in any room as the website advertised. we ended up with a playstation 2 after asking at reception and were advised all DVD players were broken.
The spa bath is not recommended for a couple, it is a spa bath for one person only, there is no walk in shower or 2 bathrooms as the photos and descriptions of the rooms suggest, the photos of the garden rooms are in fact some pictures of a completely different type of room altogether.
the restaurant closes at 8;30pm and there is absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever. the hotel appears to be run by college students and non english residents with not much knowledge of the area.
On a plus note the breakfast was nice but no where near as much choice as suggested, you need to arrive early for breakfast as it never appears to get topped up throughout the breakfast times, some background music would be advised to stop the embarassment of people whispering in conversation and the clanging of stirring tea and knife scratching on plates. The 2 gentleman serving at breakfast worked very hard and were very pleasant indeed and the late breakfast was very much appreciated.
the pool is small, one breaststroke and this is one length. if you would like to use the pool you need to ask prior for the key, not once did i see the pool in use.
good location for the lake but nothing else, privacy is terrible as staff look into your room as they walk past.
cleaners need more thorough cleaning tools as wiping every shower floor with the same hand towels that come in the room is not sanitary.
nice room, but exceptionally overpriced, would not go again and would not recommend to any friends.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Langdale Chase Hotel
Langdale Chase Hotel
#10 of 20 in Windermere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to The Regent Hotel? Share your experiences!