“Great Hotel with Superb Breakfast!”
Review of The Regent Hotel

The Regent Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Just booked a last minute two night break in the Lakes and stayed at The Regent Hotel in Ambleside. Booked into a superior garden suite which was a short stroll from the main hotel and had its own balcony with table and chairs. The room was spacious, clean and after a long eight hour walk the jet-spa bath was very much appreciated!
The hotel itself was pleasant, staff very friendly. Breakfast on both days was fantastic, plentiful with a good selection and available until midday.

There are newer reviews for The Regent Hotel

Reviewed 27 July 2010

We last visited on 9th July and the Regent offered everything we have come to expect - very good locally sourced food, comfortable rooms and staff who take a pride in providing good service. We left the car in the hotel park because it is so easy to access a wide variety of walks from the hotel. The weather was not kind to us but it didn't spoil our stay as we could dry out and listen to CDs in our room and then get ready for an excellent diiner.
We usually visit the Regent twice a year but this year we will have visited five times. We are never disappointed.

Reviewed 9 July 2010

My husband and i stayed in the skelgyll suite from 5th july to the 8th of July to celebrate our 20th anniversary and found it lovely and spacious. It had a spa bath which i found very welcoming after a long day climbing. We had fluffy towels and toweling robes and everthing was clean and fresh. The only minor thing really missing was a fridge to put cold drinks in but thats just nit picking. We had breakfast there and found the staff very warm, welcoming and helpful.The food was delicious with lots of choice. My only regret really was that my sister bought the break for us as a anniversary present because we love the lakes so much and when we went into the room there was a leaflet that told us we could of stayed there for dinner bed and breakfast for 7 nights for the same price as we payed for 3 so i was a bit disapointed but only because i would of liked to have stayed for longer !! :(

Reviewed 15 June 2010

My wife and i stayed here in June and loved every minute of it. The staff were extremely friendly and nothing was a problem. We stayed in the sail loft, the pictures do not do it justice. The room was clean and well maintained with an excellent view of the lake as we had a chilled beer on the balcony. A big plus was the late breakfast which was yummy and set us up for the day. A big thank you to all the staff and look forward to seeing you again soon.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Great location of the hotel however our room did not have a great view. We felt for the money we paid we should have had a hot tub as well. Overall ok hotel as we spent most of our time out.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2010

We booked a Garden Suite for the weekend of our first wedding anniversary through a booking agent 2 months before our stay so we were very disappointed when we came to check in to find that they had double booked the room through their own system, especially as they had not taken the time to actually inform us of this beforehand thus giving us the opportunity to decide if we wanted to stay elsewhere. We did not recieve any form of an apology and were told "this happens when you use a booking agent". Pardon me but do you not choose to advertise your hotel through booking agents? We were also made to feel as though our custom was not particularly valued by being told that the suite we had originally booked had been given to a "regular guest" and they were not prepared to re arrange this despite the fact my booking had been made 2 months previously.
We were shown to the Sail Loft which is advertised as a suite but is in effect an en-suite and not a particularly sizeable one at that. The bath was tiny and the shower totally impractical due to the imposing size of the shower head in the tiny cubicle.
When I discussed my disappointment with the receptionist and the fact that the room was incredibly warm, no alternative was offered and the only response I recieved was a sympathetic look!
We went for a drink in the bar before heading off for dinner on our first evening and were made to feel very uncomfortable when we were asked for our dinner orders, it was just assumed we would be eating there and when we explained we would not be found the gentleman who was taking the orders to be quite frosty!
Breakfast was nice but the atmosphere in the dining room was very uncomfortable, and not at all relaxing.
I think for the size of the room we were given and the fact that it was not what we were led to believe we were getting the hotel is hugely overpriced. I also think that some attention needs to be paid to the fact that this is the second review in a week with a problem regarding rooms being double booked, it is not acceptable to give away a room that someone else has already booked and has confirmation of, to someone else just because they are a "regular guest", ALL guests should be made to feel valued because there are other hotels in the area who will appreciate the custom if you dont.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Magsie73
RegentLakes, Manager at The Regent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2010

Thank you for your review.

I am very sorry you we’re disappointed with your recent stay with.

I can only suggest that when making a booking for a very special occasion it would be so much better if you called us and spoke to us allowing us to personally ensure you get the room you want rather than just booking a room online.

I am sorry that my receptionist did not respond in a better way to your concerns. Had I been aware I could have personally dealt with you rather than having to apologise through a website with little if any benefit to either parties.

All comments have been addressed and I thank you for bringing them to my attention.

Andrew – General Manager

Reviewed 12 May 2010

Booked a Garden suite through Late Rooms and sadly the hotel had already booked the room for the first night through their own system . In fairness the hotel DID let us know and indeed offered us a garden room without a lake view for the first night.
Arrived mid afternoon and was greeted by delightful staff and had a drink in the bar before going to our first night room . Sadly this room reminded me a little of the inside of a mobile home - small and without character or charm - but the real difficulty was that of the absolutely tiny bath - and we had specifically requested an oversized bath! I am pretty big and also suffer badly with arthritis so was looking forward to the advertised Spa bath .
The staff and management tried their best to find a suitable room for us with both their sister hotels and indeed other hotels but alas without success - eventually we found ourselves a great room at The Old England in Bowness .

Whilst the staff really were excellent I have to say that physically the Hotel did not really match up to advertised website - even the Actual Garden Suites were adjacent to a public car park - so very little chance of solitude and relaxation there! . The other rooms were all rather small and "modernist" - whereas at the advertised rack rate of £204.00 per night I really dont think this represented good value ! Obviously this is subjective but I have to say that things were considerably more pleasant at The Old England . Also I needed to keep in contact with my business and was amazed that there was no WiFI access in the bedrooms - nowadays surely a Must at these rates! Also the main road runs between the hotel and the Lake so this Hotel clearly does NOT have its feet in the water!

I am sorry to leave a rather negative review as the Staff were lovely.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and fantastic comments regarding our staff, which we pride ourselves on excellent customer service.

I am very sorry we did could not meet your special requirements regarding your room. We were not aware that you required an oversized bath even had we known we would not have been able to oblige as we do not have one.
I am disappointed in your comments as we literally bent over backwards to help you find suitable accommodation I personally spent over 1 hour with you. Why may I ask have you written such a review not having stayed with us and when we have showed you such warm hospitality

For your information most of our rooms have excellent wifi connection.

Andrew – General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
The Fisherbeck
The Fisherbeck
#5 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to The Regent Hotel? Share your experiences!