“Over priced,WOULD NOT GO BACK,Uncomfortable ,atmosphere!”
Review of The Regent Hotel

The Regent Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
“Over priced,WOULD NOT GO BACK,Uncomfortable ,atmosphere!”
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Booked mid week break with my partner for my birthday,Booked double room,Ended up with family room which was small plus bunk beds we did not want .Web site shows rooms to be far bigger than they are, Standed is lower than site portrays.Would have expected towels to be change daily ,for the price of nearly £300 for two nights,Breakfast was uncomfortable ,atmosphere was stuffy did not bother second morning ,went else where ,Hotel is said to be on the lake. Not on the lake there is a busy main road in front.
Also we did not take our children,But beware children eating at the hotel have to do so before a set time ,and to be seated away from main area .
Have stayed in many better and far cheaper hotels.Would not go back.Would have expected a far higher standard for the cost.Hotel is far to full of its own self importance.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MChapman36
RegentLakes, Owner at The Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2010
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you thought our family room was too small for you and your husband. If we had known during your stay with us we would have accommodated you in a larger room , we always endeavour to please our guests . I am sorry to hear you thought my team were alittle Posh! but the majority of them are foreign and really try to give all our guests a great time . Thank you for your review despite the fact we could have accommodated you if you had ask during your stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
salford
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I ahve literally just arrived back from visiting Ambleside. Myself along with my wife and 2 year old daughter stayed at the Regent from Friday 13th until this morning. I have nothing but good things to say about it and really can't understand some of the complaints in the other reviews.

Firstly the location. OK some rooms don't have a lake view but if you cross the main road, you can sit on a bench and look at the lake all you like and even feed the ducks (priority for my daughter). Upon arrival check was smooth. The receptionist friendly and knowledgable and she even showed us to our room.

The room was in the courtyard and contained a double bed and a single. We also had use of a dvd player which could also be used to play cd's on. The tv had some freeview channels which were adequate as I hadn't gone on holiday to watch tv. Accessibilty has been commented on previously. My 2 year old didn't have any problems negotiating any steps into the room or the bar or the dining area so draw your own conclusions.

The pool isn't the biggest. So what? It has water and a jetstream and was available from early morning until 7.30pm. My daughter loved it.

Onto the jewel in the crown. The restaurant is excellent. The food was outstanding and the service received deserves special mention. Nothing was too much trouble. The staff were readily available without being over the top and they were pleasnat and friendly. My 2 year old was given special attention by way of a colouring book at every sitting. Now my daughter is well behaved anyway but we were placed in the conservatory on the Saturday and Sunday evenings. A nice move as we didn't have to worry about disturbing other diners and could relax. With regards to atmosphere, we had a pianist in the evening which was a nice touch.

The breakfasts were equally fantastic. Choice has been brought into question in some other reviews. I honestly don't know what people want. We had a choice of cereals, muesli, fruit, porridge, full English, rarebit, salmon, scrambled eggs, waffles as well as various fruit juices and tea or coffee.

All in all a very satisfactory few days away. The weather was nice which made it even better. I've stayed in the lakes before and paid over the odds for substandard accomodation. Not this time. On future trips to the Lakes I can honestly say I won't stay anywhere else. Thank you to all the staff at the Regent for making our stay such a pleasant one.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank stevebranagan
RegentLakes, Owner at The Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2010
Thank you so much for your review.

Its really great to see such positive comments both about our hotel and staff.
We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2010

The whole thing was misrepresented from the start. First of all if you go to this hotel I hope you dont have the misfortune to be taken ill. We booked an offer of £428 fot Mon-Fri. We had the Monday night there but my partner was taken ill on Tuesday and we had to leave. The bill was totted for two nights plus one dinner. On receiving bank statement they had taken £346.45. When I phoned to complain I was told we had lost the offer and had to pay full price, the receptionist says it was four nights pay for three and as we didnt stay four nights we lost the offer. There was no where on the web site that stated it was four nights for three, just gave a total price, on booking by phone this was the price given. The walls in the room were paper thin could hear everything next door was doing, (very embarrssing). It was not near the lake, the photo on website must have been taken on a boat on the lake to get that angle, also all the rooms are like chalets, all spread round the hotel, this was not stated when we booked, just showed the rooms as a whole. Too expensive it was £25 for an average meal in the restaurant.

1 Thank lou187062
RegentLakes, Owner at The Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2010
I am extremely disappointed that you have resorted to writing such a review.

I and my receptionist did our utmost to help your poor husband suffering from tooth ache.

You left the hotel happy that we would refund any lost monies on a future booking and you both left thanking us for being so helpful.

One month later you call the hotel and aggresively abuse my staff threatening the hotel with your review.

I have personally tried to resolve this matter with you but you haven't been willing enough to find a sensible solution.
Kirriemuir, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2010

The hotel depicted on the website looked lovely unfortunately, it wasn't as close to the Lake as is shown on the gallery photographs and the swimming pool should be described more as a paddling pool. The female staff were polite and courteous unfortunately the manager and bar person did their utmost to ignore you. There were supplements for everything on the menu. If you wants beans or a black pudding you had to pay extra, the same for the evening menu which started at around £17.95 for a one course meal but if you wanted a steak etc., there was an extra supplement to pay. The room was clean but the bed was very hard and uncomfortable. Certainly won't be going back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gina043
jasonhewitt, General Manager at The Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2010
Thank you for your review. I am extremely upset by your comments . We do not charge for baked beans or extras for breakfast but unfortunately we have to charge extra for steaks in the evennings as we use only local free fange organic - the best available .

I am sorry to hear that you were ignored in the bar and appologise for that but I am pleased the girls impressed you with their warmth.

Knutsford
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Just booked a last minute two night break in the Lakes and stayed at The Regent Hotel in Ambleside. Booked into a superior garden suite which was a short stroll from the main hotel and had its own balcony with table and chairs. The room was spacious, clean and after a long eight hour walk the jet-spa bath was very much appreciated!
The hotel itself was pleasant, staff very friendly. Breakfast on both days was fantastic, plentiful with a good selection and available until midday.

Thirsk
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We last visited on 9th July and the Regent offered everything we have come to expect - very good locally sourced food, comfortable rooms and staff who take a pride in providing good service. We left the car in the hotel park because it is so easy to access a wide variety of walks from the hotel. The weather was not kind to us but it didn't spoil our stay as we could dry out and listen to CDs in our room and then get ready for an excellent diiner.
We usually visit the Regent twice a year but this year we will have visited five times. We are never disappointed.

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2010

My husband and i stayed in the skelgyll suite from 5th july to the 8th of July to celebrate our 20th anniversary and found it lovely and spacious. It had a spa bath which i found very welcoming after a long day climbing. We had fluffy towels and toweling robes and everthing was clean and fresh. The only minor thing really missing was a fridge to put cold drinks in but thats just nit picking. We had breakfast there and found the staff very warm, welcoming and helpful.The food was delicious with lots of choice. My only regret really was that my sister bought the break for us as a anniversary present because we love the lakes so much and when we went into the room there was a leaflet that told us we could of stayed there for dinner bed and breakfast for 7 nights for the same price as we payed for 3 so i was a bit disapointed but only because i would of liked to have stayed for longer !! :(

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
#1 of 1 in Rydal
The Fisherbeck
The Fisherbeck
#5 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to The Regent Hotel? Share your experiences!