“On the shore of Lake Windermere!!”
Review of The Regent Hotel

The Regent Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Derby, United Kingdom
“On the shore of Lake Windermere!!”
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We stayed here on a Saturday night at the begining of July.

The room we were allocated was in the courtyard up the steps which was fine...until it rained! when it became quite slippy!

Our room was nice in general but it the external view of these rooms looks a little old and 'motel' look which wasnt so good!! The room looked like it has been recently refurbished which made it look very modern, clean and welcoming.

After a few hours I went to make myself a cup of tea using the kettle...... which had an electrical fault with the wiring and set itself alight with me stood next to it nearly electricuted me. We then noticed the kettle had not been safety checked/inspected since 2007! I took the kettle to the reception who simply replaced it... with little apology or concern about the issue raised!!! rather disapointing.

The carpark had plently of room for all the guests staying at the hotel, our room had a view over the carpark which allowed us to have our car in view.

The hotel is very close to the Lake Windermere which is lovely but a fair walk to Ambleside centre (15-20min).

In general this is a nice hotel whic h could do with a revamp to the external of the Courtyard rooms and regular electrical checks!!

We recently called the Regent to possibly rebook here to find the room rate had increased by a consideral amount which has put us off returning to the Regent.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
RegentLakes, General Manager at The Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2010
Thank you for your review. I was shocked to hear about your kettle experience I can assure you that this has never happened before or since. We do Patt test but your kettle must have escaped, Sorry.

I am delighted to hear to tried to return to the Regent ,sorry that you could'nt find a suitable offer for your dates. Hopefully next time you visit the Lakes we will be able to accommodate you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
west Yorkshire
Reviewed 13 September 2010

me and my husband who have been married for 11 years and are still in love.We have never stayed in the hotel we also go for the lodge which is an hidden jewel in the regents ground,situated at the top of the hill lodges hid beautiful interiors behind french windows with a contempory design,you also have a verander for your own privacey.The breakfast was very filling and nothing was too much trouble for the staff.I have a small cleaning company which specialise in infection control ,what more can i say!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
RegentLakes, Manager at The Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2010
Thank you very much for your review.

Its lovely to hear such great comments about the hotel and staff.

We look forward to welcoing you back to the Regent sometime in the future.
Carlisle, Cumbria,
Reviewed 28 August 2010

We arrived on Sunday afternoon, and Waterhead was 'heaving' - Ambleside isnt our normal choice of location, being a bit 'touristy' however the Regent was a little Oasis. We had oneof the Suites which made a huge family room, clean, comfortable, and well appointed. Staff were freindly, good reception and breakfast service. The small swimming pool is great (especially if it rains).

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us in one of our suites. Thank you for your lovely comments on our staff and breakfast, which we pride ourselves on.

We look forward to welcoming you to The Regent again sometime in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate all feedback.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Stayed for 3 nights with 3 other adult family members. Staff very helpful and friendly. Rooms were well appointed and beds were comfortable. Breakfast buffet was a lavish feast. Had dinner one night in the restaurant and that was superb. Easy walking to nearby historic sights and 30 seconds from lake edge.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us, and will pass your lovely comments on to our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you to The Regent again sometime in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel, as we really appreciate all feedback.
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Booked mid week break with my partner for my birthday,Booked double room,Ended up with family room which was small plus bunk beds we did not want .Web site shows rooms to be far bigger than they are, Standed is lower than site portrays.Would have expected towels to be change daily ,for the price of nearly £300 for two nights,Breakfast was uncomfortable ,atmosphere was stuffy did not bother second morning ,went else where ,Hotel is said to be on the lake. Not on the lake there is a busy main road in front.
Also we did not take our children,But beware children eating at the hotel have to do so before a set time ,and to be seated away from main area .
Have stayed in many better and far cheaper hotels.Would not go back.Would have expected a far higher standard for the cost.Hotel is far to full of its own self importance.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MChapman36
RegentLakes, Owner at The Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2010
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you thought our family room was too small for you and your husband. If we had known during your stay with us we would have accommodated you in a larger room , we always endeavour to please our guests . I am sorry to hear you thought my team were alittle Posh! but the majority of them are foreign and really try to give all our guests a great time . Thank you for your review despite the fact we could have accommodated you if you had ask during your stay with us.
salford
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I ahve literally just arrived back from visiting Ambleside. Myself along with my wife and 2 year old daughter stayed at the Regent from Friday 13th until this morning. I have nothing but good things to say about it and really can't understand some of the complaints in the other reviews.

Firstly the location. OK some rooms don't have a lake view but if you cross the main road, you can sit on a bench and look at the lake all you like and even feed the ducks (priority for my daughter). Upon arrival check was smooth. The receptionist friendly and knowledgable and she even showed us to our room.

The room was in the courtyard and contained a double bed and a single. We also had use of a dvd player which could also be used to play cd's on. The tv had some freeview channels which were adequate as I hadn't gone on holiday to watch tv. Accessibilty has been commented on previously. My 2 year old didn't have any problems negotiating any steps into the room or the bar or the dining area so draw your own conclusions.

The pool isn't the biggest. So what? It has water and a jetstream and was available from early morning until 7.30pm. My daughter loved it.

Onto the jewel in the crown. The restaurant is excellent. The food was outstanding and the service received deserves special mention. Nothing was too much trouble. The staff were readily available without being over the top and they were pleasnat and friendly. My 2 year old was given special attention by way of a colouring book at every sitting. Now my daughter is well behaved anyway but we were placed in the conservatory on the Saturday and Sunday evenings. A nice move as we didn't have to worry about disturbing other diners and could relax. With regards to atmosphere, we had a pianist in the evening which was a nice touch.

The breakfasts were equally fantastic. Choice has been brought into question in some other reviews. I honestly don't know what people want. We had a choice of cereals, muesli, fruit, porridge, full English, rarebit, salmon, scrambled eggs, waffles as well as various fruit juices and tea or coffee.

All in all a very satisfactory few days away. The weather was nice which made it even better. I've stayed in the lakes before and paid over the odds for substandard accomodation. Not this time. On future trips to the Lakes I can honestly say I won't stay anywhere else. Thank you to all the staff at the Regent for making our stay such a pleasant one.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank stevebranagan
RegentLakes, Owner at The Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2010
Thank you so much for your review.

Its really great to see such positive comments both about our hotel and staff.
We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2010

The whole thing was misrepresented from the start. First of all if you go to this hotel I hope you dont have the misfortune to be taken ill. We booked an offer of £428 fot Mon-Fri. We had the Monday night there but my partner was taken ill on Tuesday and we had to leave. The bill was totted for two nights plus one dinner. On receiving bank statement they had taken £346.45. When I phoned to complain I was told we had lost the offer and had to pay full price, the receptionist says it was four nights pay for three and as we didnt stay four nights we lost the offer. There was no where on the web site that stated it was four nights for three, just gave a total price, on booking by phone this was the price given. The walls in the room were paper thin could hear everything next door was doing, (very embarrssing). It was not near the lake, the photo on website must have been taken on a boat on the lake to get that angle, also all the rooms are like chalets, all spread round the hotel, this was not stated when we booked, just showed the rooms as a whole. Too expensive it was £25 for an average meal in the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lou187062
RegentLakes, Owner at The Regent Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2010
I am extremely disappointed that you have resorted to writing such a review.

I and my receptionist did our utmost to help your poor husband suffering from tooth ache.

You left the hotel happy that we would refund any lost monies on a future booking and you both left thanking us for being so helpful.

One month later you call the hotel and aggresively abuse my staff threatening the hotel with your review.

I have personally tried to resolve this matter with you but you haven't been willing enough to find a sensible solution.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
#4 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
The Ryebeck
The Ryebeck
#3 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to The Regent Hotel? Share your experiences!