“Brilliant hotel and spa.”
Review of Langdale Hotel

Langdale Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We nad a wonderful time at this hotel.room was clean.bed was super king size. and very comfy, the pool area was clean, pool was warm,just right. we had a meal at the Wainrights pub,which was just a few minutes walk,and part of the hotel. breakfast was very good,(self service), staff were very helpful and efficient, all in all a good pleasant stay,and recommended.

Room Tip: very quiet all over.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,436)

Reviewed 5 February 2014

My husband surprised me with an overnight stay and pamper and I adored every minute of it. Our suite was gorgeous and I didn't want to leave, wish I could of taken our room home. The breakfast was lovely and the spa area is so relaxing the pool is dreamy. I had a facial and it was very good, the beautician was friendly and the facial itself was relaxing. I would like to come again but for longer than a night as feel you do need at least a weekend here.

Room Tip: Get the best rooms you wont be disappointed
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Excellent check-in with move to much better room at nil cost. Purdey's restaurant is a let down. Less than one third full but told no available table for an hour. Went to Wainwrights pub for super meal and guess what? On returning to the hotel ninety minutes later, the same tables in the restaurant were still empty!

Room Tip: In the winter try for room in main building - fair walk to some of the other rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike E
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Myself and my fiancé stayed here for one night for a relaxing birthday treat. We stayed in one of the Signature rooms in a romantic gothic style. Room was lovely with a jacuzzi bath and bed was huge and so comfy!!
We used the spa which was nice but was busy with children being a Saturday which tainted our experience slightly but that's not a fault of the hotel!
Staff were all very polite and friendly, particularly the young man on reception who checked us in. I don't know his name but he had glasses on, he was an excellent first impression.
The only disappointment was to have chocolates etc in the room as a birthday surprise was very expensive and staff didn't seem willing to do anything extra to mark a special occasion (this was staff on the telephone when I rang).
All in all though, beautiful place and excellent service. Will definitely be returning and the location is superb!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I fell in love with this hotel many years ago and have been coming several times a year since but I think my love affair may be coming to an end! Standards are slipping, bathroom poorly cleaned for a second time, areas are starting to look tired, carpets marked, prices going up!! The spa area is nice but the pool is unpleasantly cold. The playroom is a lovely addition. Staff in the terrace bar and wainwrights are lovely but the food is just ok and expensive. I don't believe in being critical in forums like this unless the hotel has had their opportunity to comment, but my letter of comments on my last visit did not even get an acknowledgement yet alone a response.

2  Thank Lippychik
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We booked one of the lodges for three days between Christmas and new year. The standard of accommodation was good (not great), but pricey, so I was very disappointed to be charged for gas and electricity at the end of my stay. Further, I had expected to be given a gown and free water in the spa ... But had to pay for both. The spa was unn impressive ... Very hard to find somewhere to sit and relax. These not-so-little things can make a difference

1  Thank Ogranate
Reviewed 25 January 2014

we found all the staff at this hotel are lovely and helpful. that was the one good point.
we stayed in the family room which bares no resemblance to any of the photos of rooms shown on the website.
It was extremelysmall with a view of the carpark . It was like a motel room. There were no proper beds for the children, Our clothes and bags did not fit in the wardrobe so had to stay on the floor. There was no shelving in the bathroom for toothbrushes etc. There was no room to move.
We paid for 4 people to stay but were provided with one small sample of shower gel and shampoo.
We ate in Purdeys restaurant which the website says is one of the best restaurants in the lake district and serves the best breakfast in the lake district.
For the evening meal, soup of the day turned out to be Heinz tomato soup.
At breakfast they ran out of porridge and eggs and also served up tinned grapefruit.
We decided to check out early and not stay another night . We were going to take the children swimming first but decided not to as there were swimming lesssons going on in the pool.
This furniture in this hotel is cheap and tatty, there is no atmosphere or character.
But thanks for the good service.

8  Thank Bettyboodle11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Lodore Falls Hotel
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale
North Lakes Hotel & Spa

Been to Langdale Hotel? Share your experiences!