1,510 results
All reviewssignature roomwainwrights pubwaterside roomtime sharefellside roomselemis toiletriesultimate roomsbuilding workspa treatmentsspa arealake districtswimming poolsteam roommain restaurantleisure centrehigh standardexcellent facilities
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a birthday treat, room was lovely. We decided we didn't want fussy food, so we ate at Wainwrights the pub on the complex- service and food were fantastic !!!

Breakfast was ok - served buffet style, think it could of been better. On our second morning we asked for some additional butter, however the restaurant manager/supervisor "threw" some on the table, that she'd picked up from some else's table that had already used ! Very disappointed, as I work in the hotel industry and I'd be mortified if my staff did this, after guests paid over £200 a night and she was moaning the whole time about being tired and everyone in the restaurant could hear her. Very unprofessional and very disappointing.

Other than that incident the room was lovely and clean, a little warm but not uncomfortable.

A great spot to mooch around the lakes from !!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Amazing setting
Modern and clean rooms
Great facilities
Lovely bar and restaurant
The best point about our stay was the service. The staff were all very good and made sure we were well looked after especially when we had dinner and breakfast.
Daniella stood out in particular, she was great.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would come back for sure.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I had a long weekend at this hotel from 4th to 7th April. Our room was no 131 fellside. It was lovely and warm and spacious and with a very comfortable bed. Everything was spotless and the towels changed every day despite not needling it. Bathroom was spacious and again spotless. We both had a massage on the Sunday which was amazing. The breakfast was gorgeous with everything you could wish for. You had to pay extra for some things though. The pool was busy with kids screaming and playing about. Not really my thing but it wasn't relaxing in that area of the hotel . We ate in Purdey's one night and found it to be very pretentious with ridiculously small portions and big prices. We were still hungry after our meal and had to walk to the pub up the road, Wainwrights, to have a top up! We ate there the other nights and the meals were lovely and very reasonably priced. Wouldn't go back as it was very remote and a lot of driving had to be done through the day to go anywhere of interest. Having said that all the staff were lovely and very helpful and friendly.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Spent weekend after Easter here and we really loved the place, the food, the service, the facilities and the items in the room eg great toiletries, lovely tea/coffee selection, very clean and well decorated room, smart looking, modern, lots of storage, amazing shower and lots of space.

However I must mention the bed. Oh dear oh dear the bed. It was sent from hell itself and unfortunately is one of those things you only discover once in it of a late night and too late to really be able to do anything about it. It was two singles bolted together, but unfortunately they were two old and sagging singles, so if you can imagine looking at it from the bottom edge instead of a straight line, it made a sagging kind of 'w' shape, with a hard ridge in the middle where the edges of the mattress were. This made us roll away totally from each other which was annoying enough but not only that, it was very uncomfortable to sleep limited to the sagged middle area only and really made my hips and back ache to the point that i woke up several times in the night in pain. My partner also suffered a really rubbish nights sleep with it too. (room 127, fellside by the way)

I am sure if we had been able to mention this to the manager they would have helped, but it seemed the only option would be to switch rooms and we were too tired to contemplate re-packing everything and moving so we left it. However we did mention that the bed needed sorting out on the feedback form provided so hopefully they will do something about it.

Overall though it is a lovely place and I would highly recommend, and even would stay there again if it were guaranteed to have a proper kind bed and not a sagging heap of awfulness

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martyne H
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My wife and I had an overnight here during the Easter break - and it was a very pleasant experience without quite being memorable. The service from front desk, to the spa and the restaurants and bars was warm and good. The room itself was excellent - a spa bath, clean, huge bed, good decor etc. We dined in the terrace restaurant which was good - competent and as expected from the menu. No nasty surprises, good wine list - but the sort of experience widely available, and often cheaper. During our stay I had a deep tissue massage which I knew would not be a gentle experience and it certainly wasn't - would think twice before opting for something a bit more relaxing next time!
The setting of course is in one of the most beautiful corners of our whole world and is hard to rival. The breakfast was a little 'standard' - and we were a little unlucky to head to the buffet as some of the items were running low and required replenishment - it was all a little rubbery and slightly less good than a good premier inn breakfast we had recently. That all said - it's a nice place, where they care that you have a nice stay, the rooms are lovely and the estate interesting. Perhaps just not quite the country hotel and spa experience I was expecting - perhaps because there isn't a central old mansion style house at the heart of it. My preconceptions are hardly their fault!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple