“Nice location, very overpriced for what you get”
Review of Langdale Hotel

Langdale Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Settle, United Kingdom
“Nice location, very overpriced for what you get”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed in room 124 which was ground floor. Room was nice but small and dark. Net curtains up at all windows, blinds would have been nicer, I felt imprisoned from natural daylight. Bed was clean but not the most comfortable for the price we paid. Facilities good but busy. Atmosphere was pure snobbery to me. I am well mannered, well dressed, well spoken and educated with a friendly disposition but found no interaction from others apart from a few guests, most were loud and snooty and staff seemed to fuss around the business type people.
Breakfast nice, but on the whole I found this place overpriced and should it not be for its location would suffer under normal circumstances. Prices of meals and drinks ridiculously priced. We did have our meals at the Wainwrights pub which was a great relief, real people, real conversations, lovely food and service. Would I stay here again, definitely not, I stayed at Bayvilla in Grange over Sands, a lot cheaper, room huge, clean, (amazing view (lots of day light) exquisite style, private and lovely breakfast brought to your room. More my type of stay1

Room Tip: We were in the Fellburn suite, lots of noisy vehicles, tiny parking spaces, dark rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
durham
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights & enjoyed our stay, we had a signature room which was well appointed with large bed, jacuzzi bath, fridge, large TV and wifi.
The place as a whole has a kind of center parcs type feel, the staff mostly were great apart from one waiter in the terrace restaurant but the other lad with the big hair was really pleasant & funny, one young waitress with blonde hair at breakfast was also great and very friendly, I hope these two get recognition!
We tried the wainwright pub on night one which was superb with outside tables and great beers and views, the breakfasts were very nice and despite some other rude customers the staff were excellent and did well the bite their tongues!
Yes it's not cheap but I think you pay for what you get and for a well situated Lakes holiday I would recommend this hotel.
As stated we tried the terrace restaurant and the food and wine was top class

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

The Langdale Hotel & Spa (née Langdale Country Club) is a perfect place for families, couples - yeah, you know what I mean ;-) and conferences. I've stayed here under all three circumstances and it's just got a welcoming feel to the place. The facilities and décor strike a clever balance between stylish and comfortable, there are several options for dining: both the formal restaurant and bistro offer good value, tasty food.

The pool/jacuzzi/sauna facilities are clean, well-designed and big enough for a lot of guests. You can pay to use the facilities as a non-resident if you wish.

There are comfortable lounges, a spa and the rooms are tastefully furnished with recent refurbishments welcome. Parking is tight around the satellite rooms complexes which is the only downside I can think of. Last time we visited they had electric cars to hire as an activity.

Treat yourself and go for a few nights to The Langdale.

Stayed August 2013
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I booked a room for three nights. Due to an emergency I had to cancel my booking. As it was a day before after 12pm they charged me the full price for the most expensive night £185.00 for cancellation. Not at all helpful and accommodating. Some times things do happen that are out of your control. Made sure that I don't book with them again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Sak610
Bury
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Just spent the weekend at the above Hotel. Have been before, but it never fails to impress.
Everything one could wish for at a Lake District Countryside Hotel. Great food in Purdeys, good gym, good pool, and some excellent walks fro the Hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

A selection of lovely stone and slate buildings in a tranquil resort. The interiors are more modern, appeared recently renovated. We had a lovely room and cosy bed. We enjoyed the spa facilities, pool, warm jacuzzi and open air spaces with the lovely weather. We found them child friendly and my little girl 9months could have a swim in the pool. A bit cool for a baby but nice she could join us even if it was a short swim. There was a pub and a small coffee shop a short distance from the resort, a nice walk through the resort and your there!
The was a path just near here (pay&display car park) which ran alongside a stream. It was a really nice walk but at points it became uneven making it difficult with a pram.
We ate at the cafe, above the spa overlooking the lake. My husband had a chicken sandwich and was still hungry afterwards and I chose a risotto which was very filling but too much oil! The cakes looked nice but didn't try :(
Breakfast was a lovely selection. We arrived for 8am so there was a full choice and lovely and fresh. Staff were friendly and helpful. We thought the male member of staff on reception was funny when we asked where to eat in the evening. A good sense of humour!
Yes I would like to go again but as it was a birthday treat, I do not know the price but my husband was a bit disappointed with the room. I think for the price he was disappointed. As I have stayed in the lakes before, I was pleased it was modern as some hotels are dated and not as well kept. Also he needed to do some work whilst away and there was limited wifi and none in the room. Caused an inconvenience as it was booked on the understand there was wifi Internet.

Room Tip: Pick near reception if you would like wifi
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

A warm welcome followed by a stunning room, modern decor but beautifully presented. Elemis toiletries, robes and a bubble bath were great extra touches. Firm bed and pillows and a beautiful setting with no noise. The leisure facilities were excellent with swimming lane to enjoy a quiet swim. Sauna and jacuzzi to relax.
Breakfast again was a pleasure, a great selection of fresh fruit and bacon cooked perfectly. We will return very soon. Great walk into skew ith bridge ideal for all ages with a visit to cheaters recommended.

Room Tip: Great pictures on the website to help you choose and if you ask nicely they will do their best to le...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
#18 of 20 in Windermere
Waterhead Hotel
Waterhead Hotel
#1 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Langdale Hotel? Share your experiences!