“Accident Waiting To Happen?”
Review of Langdale Hotel

Langdale Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Reviewed 1 August 2014

You might be surprised to learn that, although lots of families with very young children use the swimming pool at Langdales, pool-side staffing is often shockingly poor and usually non-existent. This leads to unacceptable double-standards; for example one day a pool attendant will forbit the use of balls and the next day eveyone will be using them!
More worryingly, even the most eagle-eyed of parents can't be watching their children all of the time and I fear this pool has now become an accident waiting to happen.
Shame on you Langdales, plenty of bar and restaurant staff but not enough to patrol the pool - it speaks volumes about profits versus public safety.

2  Thank Peter H
LangdaleEstate, Director of Sales at Langdale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Peter We take guest safety extremely seriously and comply with all legislation relating to the pool. Our procedures and practices are routinely monitored and reviewed by local authority health and safety officials.

As the pool depth is only 1.2 metres throughout it does not require permanent lifeguards to be poolside. However the pool is regularly patrolled by staff and monitored by CCTV. Fully qualified lifeguards are on duty at all times. We do operate regular supervised sessions where appropriate pool toys are made available and parents can leave children under the supervision of our staff. Outwith these sessions we make no apology for insisting children are accompanied by a responsible adult on a ratio of 2:1.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Booked this hotel as a treat with my fiance but felt a little wary about it after reading some of the reviews on here. I'm pleased to say that I wasn't disappointed and my fiance (who has stayed in hundreds of amazing hotels before) loved it too.
We stayed in a Signature Fellside room (standard room) which I thought was lovely and decorated to a high standard. It was very large with a gorgeous bathroom, deep bath and good shower. There were Elemis products to use also which added to the luxurious feel. The room was on the first floor (176) and the only slight negative I thought was that the windows were secured to only open a few inches resulting in the room being a bit stuffy at night. There is a fan provided though which was helpful and we were there during particularly good weather so I imagine at other times it would be ok.
The swimming pool was great, really attractive and despite the hotel being full whilst we were there at times there was no-one in the pool. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and Elterwater village is only a short walk through the grounds. There are plenty of great places to eat at the hotel and we thought the staff were all lovely and really helpful and friendly. You can basically abandon your car when you get here as the site has everything you need!
Obviously there are many walks which can be done around the area & reception has some helpful maps if you don't have a guide book!
We had a really great stay and will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: Our room was a fellside signature room on the first floor and was lovely
2  Thank MBW7
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Exceptional hotel in very beautiful part of the world. Most of the English lakes within short driving distance. Try some local pubs for wonderful local ales. Get rid of your stress from modern life. Return home fully rejuvenated!!!

Room Tip: Spoilt for choice. Most of the rooms have some good views
2  Thank Mia F
Reviewed 28 July 2014

If you want luxury and 4* look else where. This is an average hotel set in stunning location. If you are there for the walking and have lots of money to waste on accommodation then this will be perfect.

I have stayed in lots of hotels and bed and breakfast, paid half the price and enjoyed much more.

We paid £160 for a Sunday night stay , we were in room 139 fellwood across from the hotel. We walked to the Wainright pub on a road with no path a little scary . I had a Ham and Picke sandwich and a portion of chip £11.25 plus £5.45 for a bottle of lager and a half lager top. I dont mind paying for good food but this was a pub!!.

Room service in the hotel was questionable burger and a cesar salad ( served in a side dish ) £27.95 burger had no chips with it and salad was small and extremely sad looking.

Overall the hotel was ok, staff were really nice, room ok food not so good. Atmosphere is holiday centre busy but no friendliness, guests just do their own thing.

I will not be recommending to family or friends and if I want a luxury treat I will book in The Raithewaite Hall nr whitby 5*, luxury good food above excellent service and Fantastic food. Yes Its expensive but well worth every penny.

Its not often I give a poor report but I feel I wasted a well earned break.

Room Tip: any rooms costing less than £200 per night are going to be average I did not sample any other type
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Place is in need of a face lift. Dont expect the best. Food was horrendous and massivly over priced. Put dirty sheets on my sons bed, dirty robes wich they didnt replace, dirty milk jug wich was sent back 3 times!!!!! Spa treatments were terrible had a food scrub the girl scrubbed the top of my foot not the bottom and cant paint nails if life depended on it. Swimming pool is dirty not enough seats for customers at pool side. Service was welcoming and staff polite but inefficient. Management needs to step up the game.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have travelled monthly for near on a year to Langdale hotel to relax and enjoy the facilities, have a meal and just enjoy the surrounding area. We were suprised last weekend after travelling to find the price of the day pass had doubled within the week so decided not to stay, I feel they are loosing out as people will look elsewhere. It's such a shame as they have friendly staff who are very helpful, reasonable good food, but I will have second thoughts about telling others.We were going to bring our grandchild. Our daughter told us about Landale and they also can't believe it. It's a shame.

3  Thank Gaz-Yvonne B
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed Monday night as an emergency night alone from the rat race. Normally go to the swan at newby bridge but wanted a change. Check in was swift and to the point. On getting to the room the male cleaner was still working and could not apologise enough (it was only 1pm I think) but he grabbed our bags and put them on the bed and apologised yet again.
Hotel was very clean indeed and the grounds well kept. Pool busy but not overcrowded and again the pool and changing room very clean indeed.
I loved the way the bar staff remembered our drinks order (they hand a bit of banter also which is nice) and the calm relaxed atmosphere was just what the doctor ordered while sat by the little pond in the sunshine.
Food was above standard but the thing that made my night is that Gareth the waiter could see we were struggling with our phone reception and offered us the house phone to phone our son.. Nice touch we'll done pal. He could not do enough for my wife and myself but was not constantly in our face. Again we'll done pal.
Room nice and big and bed ok.
Breakfast was just the best I've had in the lakes, could of stayed all day..
We'll done langdale.

Room Tip: Book early as I tried to upgrade but the hotel was full
1  Thank Nigel C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Lodore Falls Hotel
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale
North Lakes Hotel & Spa

Been to Langdale Hotel? Share your experiences!