“All the way from Minnesota - for Ambleside chips”
Review of Walnut Fish Bar

Walnut Fish Bar
Ranked #63 of 122 Restaurants in Ambleside
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 27 September 2013

'Miserable Polish girl' ... whaaat? I'm happy to take issue with one previous reviewer. Assuming it's the same lady she was great - courteous, helpful ... and patient, too, as our American cousins tackled the mysteries of an English chippy menu.

And we couldn't have taken them to a better place for their first meal of its kind for more than 40 years. All the way from Minnesota and they loved every beautifully battered flake of fish, 'proper' chip and mushy pea. Top stuff!

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Pouring rain and a hungry family - what's a person to do. Stopped at the first chip shop I saw and was glad that I did! It's a pretty basic chippy but very clean and was doing a steady trade. I liked that both fish and chips were cooked whist I waited. I come from southern England where decency fish and chips are as rare as hens teeth so I was delighted with this tasty meal.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

I thought the fish was tasty but the chips a bit soggy this time. The mushy peas were dark green/brown. Gee -- how can I give it four stars with these descriptions? I guess I just like it anyway!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

When in the area we always get our takeaway fish and chips from here. Good portions and tasty food. Service very reasonable and they sell the extras like little bottles vinegar that's I always forget to pack when I'm on a self catering holiday!

Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

On the first night of our holiday we caught the smell of the fish & chips on the way back from the Mini-Golf. Nice clean chippy, pleasant service and tasty food, lovely fish & chips not greasy. Was just round the corner from our cottage so we had takeaway. What could be better? Yum yum :-)