“A warm oasis!”

Walnut Fish Bar
Ranked #62 of 122 Restaurants in Ambleside
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Good that they have somewhere inside to sit when it's cold! Good service, pleasant staff, fish a little over cooked but nice crisp batter and chips.

2  Thank Chorleyreview

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I have no idea what fish they serve here but I would hazard a guess it comes closer to Vietnam than the North sea.

I made the school boy mistake of when seeing “Fish” and no type presuming it was cod or haddock and not asking which, the fish didn’t smell or look like Haddock and was way to gray to be Cod so I am unsure what it was been passed off as to tourists. The chips scrappy and tepid and a world away from the Old Smithies (which is closed on a Tuesday night) I experienced.

1  Thank Duderoo1975
Reviewed 27 September 2013

'Miserable Polish girl' ... whaaat? I'm happy to take issue with one previous reviewer. Assuming it's the same lady she was great - courteous, helpful ... and patient, too, as our American cousins tackled the mysteries of an English chippy menu.

And we couldn't have taken them to a better place for their first meal of its kind for more than 40 years. All the way from Minnesota and they loved every beautifully battered flake of fish, 'proper' chip and mushy pea. Top stuff!

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Pouring rain and a hungry family - what's a person to do. Stopped at the first chip shop I saw and was glad that I did! It's a pretty basic chippy but very clean and was doing a steady trade. I liked that both fish and chips were cooked whist I waited. I come from southern England where decency fish and chips are as rare as hens teeth so I was delighted with this tasty meal.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

I thought the fish was tasty but the chips a bit soggy this time. The mushy peas were dark green/brown. Gee -- how can I give it four stars with these descriptions? I guess I just like it anyway!