“Hidden Gem, Highly Recommended”
Review of Brathay Hall

Brathay Hall
“Hidden Gem, Highly Recommended”
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

My husband booked a last minute break for our family to stay at Brathay Hall. This place is set in a beautiful location with amazing views all around, fabulous country walks and the lake a short walk away. We are a family of five with 3 young children. We were made to feel very welcome on arrival and were booked into the brand new Scandinavian Lodges situated a small distance away from the main hall itself. These are beautifully presented on the outside and on the inside too with lovely furniture, the bed was huge and comfortable there was plenty of room for us all even enough room for 2 camping beds, big fluffy towels, ample toiletries, there was even a safe in the room should you need it. The bathroom was massive too and the whole cleanliness was spot on. I honestly could not complain about anything. We all had a great nights sleep and the silence was bliss. The Breakfast was delicious and there was plenty of it too, compliments to all the kitchen staff who worked so hard it really did set us up for the whole day. The gentleman that checked us in and out was very professional and could not do enough for us. I have recommended this hidden gem to all my work colleagues and family and we can not wait to get another free weekend to be able to stay here again. 5 stars, thank you

• Stayed March 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London
Reviewed 31 March 2013

The drive through Ambleside and up to Brathay Hall is lovely. You can park in front of the main building and reception is through the main door.

The lodge where our room was based was round to the right hand side and back of the building. It was a beautiful snowy day and I was glad we were based in one of the ground floor rooms as I did not fancy having to climb the outside stairs to the upper rooms. The room itself is wonderful and large as is the bathroom. There is a lovely seating area. It was a shame that we did not spend more than one night there.

The reason I am not giving this five stars is because there was no hair dryer supplied and when my son went to reception on the Sunday morning during the hours they were supposedly open there was nobody there to speak to. I also wasn’t happy about the fact that you could not check in until 5pm and you had to check out by 10am.

The dining room where breakfast is served is to the left of the main building as you are looking at it. You enter through a door to the right of the dining room. The breakfast was good and the toast was plentiful if I had one small complaint I did not particularly like the sausages but everything else was lovely.

This is a very reasonably priced room for this area and I would not fail to recommend staying here. The view of the lake is wonderful unfortunately the snow was too deep for me to be able to explore the grounds.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Brathay is a bit basic but gets 5 stars because it delivers what it says it does. Basic extremely clean accommodation for a good price. We were in a group with some of us staying in the more expensive Scafell rooms, which are bright, spacious an modern but not luxurious. They are worth the extra bit of money. Others stayed in the manor house rooms which are much more basic but a step up from a hostel. However they were so cheap one can't complain since they are clean and very serviceable. The breakfasts are very good. Spend the extra £15 a night and stay in a Scafell room. The views are incredible.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Myself and my partner stayed for two nights at Brathay Hall in one of the Wansfell rooms. We arrived into Windermere without a car and found it very easy to get a bus to Ambleside and walk from there.

Brathay Hall provide laminated routes for walks that start from the Hall in the rooms which we made use of, and we walked into Ambleside in the evening for dinner, which was quick and relatively easy, but you MUST take a torch!!

The room was huge and the view fantastic, breakfast was great buffet fare which kept us going until dinner. Staff were friendly and helpful. Our bathroom looked like it had seen better days but it was spotlessly clean and the shower was amazing.

The only downside was that the windows in our room were single glazed so we were woken up by youngsters outside in the morning. However apart from that and the breakfast ending at 9.30am (I like a long lie in on the weekend) everything was great, better than expected.

I would def. go back!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rahsberry
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I stayed here with a friend for a night. It was a charming spot, near a lake and surrounded by gardens and woodland. Our room was very big and comfortable with amazing views of the countryside and a big toilet. It was kind of a little apartment and very private, so ideal for a trip with friends or an independent couple who doesn't mind to have their rooms looking fancy. The beds were excellent and the furniture beautiful, very good value for the space and environs you get! Breakfast and shower were great too. So, in short, if you don't need wallpaper in your room and you don't mind being in a community centre (Brathay Trust) this is a great spot.

Room Tip: Not too easy to find as there are no signs and Ambleside is a one-way street maze... watch ou for th...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Manchester
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Came across this place by chance, was working up in Newcastle and had promised my wife who was travelling with me to chill out for a couple of days so had planned on nipping over to the Lake District, but it was a last minute decision and right smack bang in the middle of half term holidays. So all usual haunts around the lake district were, fully booked or did the usual ramp up the prices type nonsense, anyway scanning around booking.com I came across this place. Have to say I was a bit sceptical due to the low price (for rooms of this type). Well what a surprise.. firstly this place would not be for everybody. Brathay Hall aka Brathay Trust is a charity with the mission to improve the life chances of children and young people. So its kind of an adventure training, outward bound and leadership facility which caters for all kinds of youngsters but also does some corporate events too. So the Main Hall rooms and breakfast.dinning area has more of a youth hostel feel about it. However there are some chalets which are annexed and its there I had my Superior room booked I am sure there are other less well apportioned rooms too, really friendly staff and very helpful, also damn fine breakfast included in the price which would easily of cost a bomb in nearby Ambleside. The Superior Rooms are Scandinavian Chalets with two lower and two upper rooms in each chalet. The quality is very good, plenty of space and a great shower, We were lucky enough to have a room where you could just make out windermere, (Brathay is more north west of the lake, so not all rooms will see the lake if that's important to you), last time I stayed in the region I paid 220 quid for what was a fantastic room. This place was not as exclusive, but achieved equal levels of customer satisfaction for me and my wife. in fact I think I have found a little gem. suits me as its is so peaceful spacious comfortable and the revenue from your stay is helping to finance the trusts primary objective... its a win win for me!!!

Room Tip: Superior Rooms are worth the extra...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tonesontheroad
oswestry, england
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We stayed here one night, and wished we'd stayed longer. It is a little difficult to find, as the "hotel" is not marked as such - you drive in to Brathay Trust, which helps disadvantaged children, and in the summer, no doubt there will be groups of them staying alongside you, but in Februrary, there were lots of rooms available for guests. We stayed in the Scafell rooms, the big wooden Scandinavian looking lodges, each with four rooms. Each room is absolutely brand new, huge, and decorated superbly. Wonderful bed, huge bathroom, spotlessly clean, pretty much the best appointed room I have ever stayed in, and with a view over the fields to Lake WIndermere. It was like a country house hotel where no expense had been spared. But the price for a double room for a night ? £75. Even if it doubled in the summer, you wouldn't feel shortchanged. Some places in Ambleside were £150 in February and would have had nowhere near the space or the view. Unbelievable value.

It was a 20 minute walk in to Ambleside, but surely thats nothing to most people who are here for the mountains and the walking. Or a £5 taxi ride. Or maybe like us, you just prefer being out of the town with such a wonderful view. Did I mention the view? Maybe it might be lacking hotel-like things like a trouser press, or a gym, but be honest, how many times do you actually use them ? It has a bar , and breakfast was included, and while it was a buffet breakfast, it was hot tasty and replenished often, bacon eggs mushrooms (proper fried not boiled) beans toast cereals, everythign you could want. We wished we'd stayed for the second night of our trip, absolutely perfect and just the most amazing value.

Room Tip: The Scafell rooms in the external lodges are amazing
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple