Brathay Hall
US$149
US$156
US$119
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsset in extensive groundsfantastic groundsbuffet breakfasthuge bathroomwalking weekendsuperior roomlake districtambleside centrewould stay againreception staffboth morningsnice roomcomfy bedmin walkfull englishshort breakcharity
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

My husband booked a last minute break for our family to stay at Brathay Hall. This place is set in a beautiful location with amazing views all around, fabulous country walks and the lake a short walk away. We are a family of five with 3 young children. We were made to feel very welcome on arrival and were booked into the brand new Scandinavian Lodges situated a small distance away from the main hall itself. These are beautifully presented on the outside and on the inside too with lovely furniture, the bed was huge and comfortable there was plenty of room for us all even enough room for 2 camping beds, big fluffy towels, ample toiletries, there was even a safe in the room should you need it. The bathroom was massive too and the whole cleanliness was spot on. I honestly could not complain about anything. We all had a great nights sleep and the silence was bliss. The Breakfast was delicious and there was plenty of it too, compliments to all the kitchen staff who worked so hard it really did set us up for the whole day. The gentleman that checked us in and out was very professional and could not do enough for us. I have recommended this hidden gem to all my work colleagues and family and we can not wait to get another free weekend to be able to stay here again. 5 stars, thank you

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 31 March 2013

The drive through Ambleside and up to Brathay Hall is lovely. You can park in front of the main building and reception is through the main door.

The lodge where our room was based was round to the right hand side and back of the building. It was a beautiful snowy day and I was glad we were based in one of the ground floor rooms as I did not fancy having to climb the outside stairs to the upper rooms. The room itself is wonderful and large as is the bathroom. There is a lovely seating area. It was a shame that we did not spend more than one night there.

The reason I am not giving this five stars is because there was no hair dryer supplied and when my son went to reception on the Sunday morning during the hours they were supposedly open there was nobody there to speak to. I also wasn’t happy about the fact that you could not check in until 5pm and you had to check out by 10am.

The dining room where breakfast is served is to the left of the main building as you are looking at it. You enter through a door to the right of the dining room. The breakfast was good and the toast was plentiful if I had one small complaint I did not particularly like the sausages but everything else was lovely.

This is a very reasonably priced room for this area and I would not fail to recommend staying here. The view of the lake is wonderful unfortunately the snow was too deep for me to be able to explore the grounds.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Brathay is a bit basic but gets 5 stars because it delivers what it says it does. Basic extremely clean accommodation for a good price. We were in a group with some of us staying in the more expensive Scafell rooms, which are bright, spacious an modern but not luxurious. They are worth the extra bit of money. Others stayed in the manor house rooms which are much more basic but a step up from a hostel. However they were so cheap one can't complain since they are clean and very serviceable. The breakfasts are very good. Spend the extra £15 a night and stay in a Scafell room. The views are incredible.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Myself and my partner stayed for two nights at Brathay Hall in one of the Wansfell rooms. We arrived into Windermere without a car and found it very easy to get a bus to Ambleside and walk from there.

Brathay Hall provide laminated routes for walks that start from the Hall in the rooms which we made use of, and we walked into Ambleside in the evening for dinner, which was quick and relatively easy, but you MUST take a torch!!

The room was huge and the view fantastic, breakfast was great buffet fare which kept us going until dinner. Staff were friendly and helpful. Our bathroom looked like it had seen better days but it was spotlessly clean and the shower was amazing.

The only downside was that the windows in our room were single glazed so we were woken up by youngsters outside in the morning. However apart from that and the breakfast ending at 9.30am (I like a long lie in on the weekend) everything was great, better than expected.

I would def. go back!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rahsberry
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I stayed here with a friend for a night. It was a charming spot, near a lake and surrounded by gardens and woodland. Our room was very big and comfortable with amazing views of the countryside and a big toilet. It was kind of a little apartment and very private, so ideal for a trip with friends or an independent couple who doesn't mind to have their rooms looking fancy. The beds were excellent and the furniture beautiful, very good value for the space and environs you get! Breakfast and shower were great too. So, in short, if you don't need wallpaper in your room and you don't mind being in a community centre (Brathay Trust) this is a great spot.

Room Tip: Not too easy to find as there are no signs and Ambleside is a one-way street maze... watch ou for the caravan/camping sign!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends