“Awful treatment stay away!!!”
Review of Brathay Hall

and 1 more site!
Brathay Hall
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We booked the Room through Booking.com, we loved the location, this is our 1st time to the Lake District. What a SHAMBLES!!! 1st of all we paid for a Lake View and was told they were all booked, then their was a Charity Concert Playing thumping loud Music until 1 am. We got no warning, no e-mail to let us know what was going on. We paid £90 for a few quiet Days in the lake District, all I got was loud Music, I suffer from Irregular Heart Rhythm, and the Bass of the Music gave me palpitations, I also am a light sleeper. Our Room was nice as was the self service breakfast. I wanted a refund and there was no one around in the Morning, all you had was a boarded up reception, with a Door to dump your Keys through, there was another couple as we were leaving, who said the same, we will never stay there and again! Same goes with us, disgusting service, we pay £90 for a service and all we get is a Youth Hostel Style service, appalling.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Nicky A, Manager at Brathay Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

We are very sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations and apologise for shortcomings in any service areas, these are being reviewed and action taken to ensure our normal exemplary standards are maintained.
We set our room pricing to be at a reasonable level and in the context of the lake district demand and the peak time of Easter therefore do feel that we are within an acceptable range for the accommodation provided.
We appreciate that the noise level from the Easter Bazaar music was significant and as this had been a long planned event we did endeavour to contact, by e-mail, every guest who had booked rooms on site to let them know, well in advance.
The event was a charity fundraiser for us, Brathay Trust and another local charity and we did want to inform guests as fully as possible about it and to provide information and a specific parking pass to minimise the inconvenience.
We appreciate that acceptable noise levels are subjective and appreciate that this has caused dissatisfaction.
Once again we regret that your stay was less than satisfactory but would very much like to extend a welcome to you in the future.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I booked 3 rooms (Bed & Breakfast £240.00) for my wife and I + my two sons and their partners.
It was family celebration for my 60th birthday. The plan was a nice meal in Fellinis in Ambleside then return to the hotel for a couple drinks and conversation.

Quote from Brathay Hall website:-
“Our dining room and bar serve hot and cold drinks, including fairtrade tea and coffee together with locally sourced real ales”

I went down to the bar early evening and noticed it was shut so I went to reception and asked if it would be open later. I explained that we were going out to dine first. It wouldn’t have been an issue if at that point I was told that the bar would not be open – I was in fact told “ The bar is ‘On demand’ – give us a ring when you come in and we will open it”

Our minibus dropped us of back at Brathay Hall ay 10.35 I phoned the number and asked if we could order a couple of beers and was told categorically “The bar is shut” I re-phoned the taxi (minibus) to take us back to Ambleside – but they were booked up until 1.Oclock.

So – on my (What should have been a memorable evening) 60th Birthday celebration there was nothing to do except go to bed early.

Had a communication from the manager since - frankly lame excuses

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank F0lksinger
Nicky A, Manager at Brathay Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

We regret that our timely and detailed response to the guest was not to his satisfaction, we acknowledged and appreciate the feedback given and the team take all reasonable steps to ensure that we offer our clients and guests a consistently good experience. As a working charity, Brathay Trust is a speciality accommodation, we do not offer full hotel facilities but we endeavour at all times to meet guest needs and delivery excellence to all.

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

My partner and I booked this accommodation as a last minute stay in the lakes and it was worth every single penny. We stayed in one of the wooden lodges at the book of the hall and not in the actual building itself. Our room was brand new, modern, spotlessly clean and beautiful to look at with a huge comfy bed complete with feather duvet. We had the most beautiful views of the mountains and it really was idyllic to wake up to. We didn't eat the breakfast because my partner was feeling a little under the weather but we did take a look at the eating area and it was really clean and everything looked good. The ONLY negative things I would say are the other rooms/accommodation.... I would only stay here in the lodges and NOT in the other more dated rooms. They didn't look great but I am very fussy and they are probably absolutely fine if you don't mind staying in a very basic, no frills room for a night. Take my advice and pay the extra money for the superior room, you will not be disappointed.

It is a short walk into Ambleside which we decided to do in the evening, it wasn't very testing but take a torch! Pitch black and scary without a light.

I really hope you stay in Brathay Hall because it was beautiful and well worth the money.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Six of us foreigners touring UK had trouble booking a hotel in the lake district mid season. This was taking a chance, but chances sometimes pay off, and Brathay Hall did so enormously.
Mostly a training school of a kind, Brathay Hall has some separate rooms for hire. They are a little institutional in character and equipment, but comfortable, extremely clean and everything works. The canteen style breakfast was very good and truly set us up for the day. The staff are friendly and helpful, especially the boat keeper, the housekeeper who cleaned our room, the receptionist and the breakfast cook.

But now for the real thing. The setting on the lakeside at Ambleside is spectacular. The grounds are spacious and we wished we had more time to explore them properly. The boathouse is an experience especially if you meet the guy who takes care of the boats who was helpful, informative and entertaining, it really seemed he was glad to see us to tell us about the boats and the history of Brathay. The promontory next to the boathouse is worth visiting as it give some magnificent views and interesting fauna. The views of the lake from the house are truly exceptional with nothing to spoil the view. Most of all, try to rise early and see the mist over the lake, the sheep just waking up and the rabbits scampering about, Idyllic. On any other trip to the lakes, Brathay Hall would be my first choice.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2013

10 of us stayed at Brathay Hall in their dorm room and had a great time. The room was clean, large and came with plenty of cupboard space and places to put our gear. The breakfast included was excellent - nice and hot cooked breakfast to start the day. There is also a nice lounge area if you want to hang out outside of your room. Its a nice short walk from Ambleside village with plenty of pubs and restaurants nearby. The staff are really friendly and its great value for money.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2013

A great budget priced option in the Lakes - we stayed in the grand hall building and wish we'd had more time to explore the grounds. The self-service breakfast was excellent and service was friendly. We did have slight difficulty locating it as the sign on the road outside is rather discreet, but would definitely go again.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed here over the August Bank Holiday for one night ,having booked at the last minute. The welcome was very friendly. My room was a single in a building like a chalet that had been converted into 8 rooms . The room was small but clean, with a good shower in the en-suite. There was a small TV that I couldn't get to work (and no operating intructions that I could find). There was not much space but there again there was enough for my needs , which was, basically,somewhere comfy to sleep overnight. Breakfast was great and buffet style. The Dining Room looked like a school dining room. There is free Wifi which worked well.
Overall, given that if you come to the Lakes , you're not spending that much time indoors in your hotel room anyway, this did the job for me and I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo