“Lovely cottage”

Review of Birch End

Welcome!
Lawn and drive area Adjoining enclosed woodland play area
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Lawn and drive area
Adjoining enclosed woodland play area
View towards Fairfield
Lounge
Dining area
Hearth & TV
Double bedroom upstairs
Twin bedroom upstairs
Twin bedroom wash basin & landing
Hall
Sigle bedroom downstairs
Double bedroom downstairs
Sunny patio with furniture & view
Private parking space for 3 cars
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 17 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Louise J
“Do not stay at this cottage.”
Reviewed 7 August 2018 for a stay in August 2018

I really am not one to complain but this cottage is nothing short of a disgrace.
We where met by the strongest smell of damp and mold. The place was dirty and signs of mold and damp where visible with the naked eye. I aired the cottage and cleaned through at my own time and expense. I contacted the owner and asked him to visit the property to discuss my concerns, which he did and arrived promptly at my request. However I was met with a very defensive manner and told this was how it was in the Lake District due to damp weather. I was made to feel I was making a fuss over nothing. He actually told me the 1600 pounds we had paid for the cottage was a good price and he didn't see what the problem was. I had 4 children with me and my problem was the danger of black mold and damp in thier lungs.
Overall the cottage was way below standard, dirty, smelly and dangerous and I even found a hole in the floor of one of the bedrooms surrounded my damp and mold.
I would hate for any family to experience what we did. We vacated the properly as soon as we found alternate accommodation and unfortunately no refund is likely.

8 Aug 2018
When I visited Mr Jones on the morning after he moved in he was quite happy with the house: absolutely no complaints about anything. It was only his wife arriving with 5 children and another young lady allegedly not staying at Birch end, who phoned to complain about smells, damp and mould, but not dirt. She showed me to various remote corners of the house where she said there was mould, but I could not find any mould (nothing came off on my hand). She did not show me any damp, nor any dirt, in fact she was quite happy with the kitchen and bathroom in particular. I could not detect any unusual smell. I offered to do anything practical to improve things, but the tenants did not have any suggestions. None of the tenants suffered any health problems as a result of their stay: I spoke to them 6 days after their tenancy began when the children were happily playing football in the garden. We have already dealt with all the issues raised. In my opinion the complaints reflect the tenants’ wife’s attitude, not the state of the property. We have never had complaints before about the cleanliness of our properties in 25 years of holiday letting.
V6026MTma...
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely cottage”
Reviewed 9 May 2018 for a stay in May 2018
person found this review helpful

A lovely cottage in a quiet cul de sac just 5 minutes from the centre of town. Bedrooms all a good size, comfy beds, adequate bathroom, open plan kitchen and sitting room were just the ticket, nice private garden and great views from big sitting room window, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay would highly recommend it. Furniture may be a little dated but was more that adequate there is no wifi but good g4 connection all in all it was great value for money.

TrailBlaz...
“Great location and views but dated with an overpowering stench of dampness”
Reviewed 21 March 2018 for a stay in March 2018
person found this review helpful

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of March.
The location is great, just 5 minutes walk from the town centre. Views from the property are outstanding and it is very spacious. However, the positives were out weighed by the negatives namely that the internal decor and furniture was very dated and shabby and the shower did not work at all. The main problem was that the whole house had an overpowering smell of dank and mustiness which had seeped into the carpets, curtains, furniture, mattresses and furnishings. The smell in the bedrooms downstairs was intolerable.This smell penetrated every item that we took with us. All clothing, coats, bags, rucksacks and outdoor gear had to be washed several times when we returned home to get rid of the nasty smell. We certainly won't be returning again.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
23 Mar 2018
The tenants asked if they could transfer their original booking form 2 to 5 March when we were around to the later dates of 15 to 18 March. We had no bookings between times, and having gone away on 7 march for 2 weeks, rather than leaving all the heating on for over a week, I suggested that the tenants arrive early and turn on the central heating. Early March was unfortunately abnormally cold in Ambleside as well as in many other parts of the country. We received no complaints from the tenants while they were in residence. I find it disappointing that after allowing a free transfer we receive this type of complaint.
Anniegsta...
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Cosy with wonderful views over snow topped hills.”
Reviewed 5 February 2018 for a stay in February 2018

We have stayed here in the winter for a weekend for the past 3 years and we love it more each year. Cosy with wonderful views and access to the town, hills and lakes.
Local Chinese takeaway
A wonderful Thai restaurant nearby. Lakes and pools to dip in and hills to climb.
We will be back

bevwalker...
Morecambe, United Kingdom
“Excellent location”
Reviewed 21 September 2017 for a stay in July 2017

Stayed here for a few days , great location right in the town centre ,
Bungalow bit old fashioned but clean .. nice view of the hills from the lounge

Sripriya...
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
“CUTE VILLA AMIDST THE CUTE VILLAGE !!”
Reviewed 6 May 2017 for a stay in April 2017

Well.. all i can say is we really had a blast. Ambleside by itself is very very pretty and to top that we found Birch End. Its really great value for money and also very comfortable. It was home like. Wish we had stayed longer. The house has everything a traveller needs. Peter is a kind person. He visited us and ensured everything was in place. Also, he helped us resolve some small issue at late hours in the night. Thank you Peter.
Good Villa, Suits Budget, Beautiful Surroundings !!...go for it.

ncmc
Cork, Ireland
“Comfortable house, great location”
Reviewed 23 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016
people found this review helpful

We have just returned from a lovely stay in Birch End in Ambleside, we stay every year in Keswick but this year decided to add a few days to our trip and move to Ambleside. We found that properties in Ambleside were either very expensive, or didn’t offer stays of less than a week. So were delighted to find such a good value property in such a great location. We were travelling with our baby and my parents so the configuration of rooms worked out well for us. There is a good size double and a single downstairs and a lovely modern bathroom, then a twin and another good size double upstairs. All the rooms have sinks, there is a second toilet upstairs, but it’s not for the claustrophobic as it has been wedged into a closet in the eves, but still, it is a good use of space! The living room is large and bright, with a good sized dining area and a small, modern kitchen. The views from the living room are fantastic, with views towards Fairfield Circle and the church. The property has a lovely secure garden which seems to be a haven of wildlife, my daughter loved it. There is also parking right outside the door. The décor is a bit dated, especially in the bedrooms, but it is very comfortable at the same time and has an up to date smart TV. The upstairs bedrooms had velux windows with the most fantastic blinds, ensuring a pitch black room at night and a good nights sleep. While the bathroom is very clean and modern, the shower is sadly lacking water pressure. An electric shower would be a welcome addition.

The location of this house is fantastic. Ambleside is a very busy town with constant traffic, but because this house is at the end of a cul de sac, you feel like you’re in the middle of the country despite being only 5 mins walk from the town. This property can’t be beat for location, price and cleanliness, I would definitely stay again.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Comfortable living room with amazing views
Liked least: Shower was lacking water pressure and upstairs loo was a bit claustrophic
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
23 May 2016
Thanks, glad Birch End is liked.
Peter Bradley
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing