“cafe with a view”

Four Seasons Terrace Cafe Hayes Garden World
Ranked #64 of 122 Restaurants in Ambleside
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We have visited Hayes on many occasions and have always enjoyed a coffee and some times a meal. Staff are usually friendly and helpful but some times the service is a little slow. I love sitting on the terrace (when the weather is fine!!) The view are wonderful and this is a great place to sit and relax. I have always found the food very nice with plenty of choice.

There are newer reviews for Four Seasons Terrace Cafe Hayes Garden World

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I live locally and have used this restaurant before but only for a coffee. As this visit was mid day we decided to have lunch and opted for the soup. My friend had vegetable and I chose Cauliflower Broccoli and Stilton. Both were poor in fact they were awful and we were sure not home made, tasted as if they had been thickened with packet soup mix not at all what we expected.Neither of us could eat it. I make soup at home so expect to get the same quality when I am paying for it. In contrast we then had a beautiful home made scone, if only the soup could have been of the same quality we would have had an enjoyable lunch. Lovely surroundings and we enjoyed wandering round the centre, but won't be ordering soup again in the café.

1  Thank Discerning055
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Visited numerous times, decided to have sandwich from the cafe, daughter didn't finish all of hers so I popped it in my bag. Driving home she decided to eat it cheese savoury and found a huge lump of tune..... My daughter is allergic to all fish types...... Not happy

Reviewed 3 April 2014

My family and I visited the Four Seasons restaurant recently whilst spending a day in Ambleside. What a great cafe! There are loads of tables inside and outside, a vast range of meals and snacks to choose from and really lovely staff. I chose a basic sandwich to enjoy with a cake, which were both made on the premises. My daughter had a soup and a roll, and my son had a jacket potato with coleslaw and side salad- surprisingly all of which was made on the premises. We also enjoyed three teas with our meals. My daughter said it was the best soup she had ever had, a vegetable soup I think.

As well as a huge range of products, I also noticed that many things were offered as gluten free which is not as available as it should be in similar restaurants I have visited, and I think this is worth noting and praising!

Staff were more than attentive, and when my son ordered coleslaw with his jacket he was advised that he could also have another topping if he wanted as coleslaw came as part of the salad (as he is a coleslaw fiend he just had extra coleslaw), but I find it rare that staff at busy places such as this are willing to advise on the meals.

Staff apologised for any delays during service for example the short queue at the till, again it is hard to find staff who care about this in many places, but even the younger staff were very apologetic. I noticed on other reviews that people think the restaurant is too busy and staff aren't helpful or experienced, but I don't agree. I think the main problem of the restaurant is it's layout which may confuse people with little common sense!! I also noticed at the time that they were hiring which explained some harrassed looking staff members who are clearly over stretched YET still provide excellent service.

To conclude, although a little pricey I think it is well worth it especially if you are visiting the garden centre, even if its just for a coffee and a cake. Lovely views, lovely people.

1  Thank LucyBarrow
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Visited today after a walk in the lakes. There was 5 of us. It took an absolute age to order two standard coffees and three milkshakes. The girl behind the counter didn't seem in a rush to get the drinks ready. To top it all, after taking the last gulp of my coffee, there was a lump of fluff and hair in the bottom of it!! Disgusting. Obviously the cups hadn't been washed properly. I took my cup back to the counter and was given a refund for the drink. I was offered another cup of coffee but needless to say, I didn't take up the offer! We live locally but doubt we will return.