Lake House
US$52
US$35
  • Restaurant
US$114
All reviewshideaway roomssister hotelwaterhead baythe main housesteep driveseparate buildinglovely hotelminute walkbooked a superior roomon arrivaltwo nightsspacious roomreception areaposter bedplenty of choicehotel is situatedbreakfast was excellent
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Absolutely great location for romantic weekend away. Close enough to Ambleside for the lovely little shops and restaurants. Far enough to avoid the hustle and bustle of Ambleside, especially the heavy-traffic. Only 1 minutes walk to the shores of Windermere, where there is a brilliant pub and cafe to take in the fabulous lake-side scenery. Ended up the evening sat at the end of the pier where there wasn't a single person around (at only 10pm). Stayed in a double-room in a separate building round the back which was absolutely massive (I think the bathroom was about the same size as my living room!). Complete seclusion, no noise. Wonderful.

p.s. the breakfast buffet was great, they will give you fresh coffee if you ask for it. They also had made-to-order specials such as smoked salmon. Yum. Not bad at all for £80/night.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are going to be obscured by the tall trees. Better to get the rooms in the separate building round the back.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
jasonhewitt, General Manager at Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

“Perfect romantic weekend in the Lakes” well it really doesn't get much better than this a big thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back for a future visit.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We arrived for our minimoon to be greeted by a very welcoming lady on reception. She then showed us up to our room which I thought was a nice touch. The room had a four poster and a view to die for over Lake Windermere. It was a really great start to our stay.

We slept really well in the four poster bed and I thought the biscuits and the sea kelp shower gel was a nice touch. I think providing a safe or a fridge would be a good idea, but not absolutely essential. A fridge would have been good as we ordered a bottle of wine each night we stayed and it would have been nice to be offered a wine cooler or to have had somewhere to put the wine to keep it chilled.

The room was quite warm being south facing but there was a fan in the cupboard which cooled the room down.

Breakfast was very nice and was kept well replenished. We were offered tea and toast on arrival to the breakfast room and I cannot fault the breakfast.

I also loved the DVD library that was provided for guests to make use of, again a nice touch.

Only negative was the lady who checked us out, she was rather abrupt and did not say thank you for staying. It was a rather rushed check out and we didn't feel it was representative of what we had experienced over the two days.

Last impressions are just as important as first ones in my opinion.

However, it hasn't changed my opinion that I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Top floor south facing - room 10 - view to die for
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review it sounds like you had a great mini honeymoon and the lady who checked you out is lovely she always wants to please so we apologise if you felt that she was abrupt she is just trying to be efficient.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

The room was spacious, warm and clean. The staff were helpful and friendly. The. Breakfast was good. There was no shampoo provided. The tissues were low quality. The location is convenient for both Ambleside and scenic locations.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trav23

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review we really appreciate the feedback and we will pass on your kind comments to all the staff.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My boyfriend and I were looking for a place to stay in the Lake District as we were planning to climb Scafell pike. I booked this hotel as it could offer everything we wanted (bed and breakfast with clean, modern decor) and seemed very reasonably priced (£316 for a standard double room with breakfast for 4 nights - this was a discounted rate for booking 3+ nights etc.). We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived as our room was part of an annex rather than the main hotel and was therefore nice and quiet. The room was clean with a comfy king size bed. The location was good, the staff were friendly and the breakfast buffet was delicious. We would happily stay there again :-)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

What a fantastic review we really appreciate the feedback and we will pass on your kind comments to all the staff, thank you.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed at the Lake House for four nights in May. I had to admit that I was disappointed when shown to my room. It was a ground level "hideaway" room at the rear of the property. It was modern, extremely comfortable, well heated, stylishly furnished and came with a superior bathroom. The disappointment was the view: a service area, pedestrian path and car park right outside. Without the blind on the glass door lowered to the floor and the attractive wooden shutters closed there was no privacy. I was also disappointed that the WiFi apparently didn't extend to the "hideaway" room. The signal was weak and spasmodic. The breakfast, served in the main house in an spacious dining room, was consistently excellent and the staff with whom I had contact were consistently friendly. I also appreciated the internet nook on the first floor where a computer was provided for guest use. The location is excellent, close to Lake Windermere at Waterhead Bay. Overall, I thought that this was quality accommodation at a good price although I would not wish to stay in my car park room again.

Room Tip: If allocated a car park room, ask whether something better is available.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
jasonhewitt, General Manager at Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review we appreciate the feedback, however we are slightly surprised by your comments about the Hideaway rooms as these room are very popular rooms and get asked for all the time.

Regards Jason Hewitt.