The first thing I noticed on arrival was the charming old worldy feel of the guest house plus the fantastic location, setback enough to see windermere lake without any noise from the road below. The room was south west facing and sitting In the room with a glass of wine watching the sunset was a perfect way to unwind after a 2 1/2 drive.
The room had a modern and contemporary look and was spacious enough for 2 with an adequate size bathroom. However we had no shower curtain or fixed shower head which became frustrating as the whole bathroom floor became covered In water requiring drying with towels numerous occasions! Also the bath tap was extremely loose and hot water is volcanic In heat.....toooooo hot!
Breakfast was good and a wide selection with tea and coffee served by the waiting staff. One point however is the timing for breakfast in that items go dry quite quickly and you have to wait for it to be replenished, No big issue as the view makes up for it while you are waiting.
Location Is perfect with windermere literally stones throwaway, with several decent restaurants and pubs with beer gardens to while a way an afternoon or evening. Overall a great little place with character and enough on offer for a great weekend break.
I wouldn't hesitate in booking again.....but would request a room with a decent shower!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This family run country house has spectacular views across Waterhead Bay, Windermere Loughrigg Fell and the Langdale Peaks as well as offering stylish, modern and luxurious accommodation. With its country house atmosphere combined with stylish decor and modern luxury touches, not to mention its eighteen gorgeous bedrooms and wonderful raised vistas, Lake House is a perfect place to stay and make your own. Come together in the large, light dining and living area with stunning lake views, or find your own space to relax and escape on one of the lovely reading landings or from the privacy of your large bedroom. Lake House manages to combine grandeur and intimacy in private surroundings for all occasions. Please note, due to the relaxing nature of the building rooms are not suitable for children.Each of the 18 bedrooms are decorated and fitted to the highest standards, all en-suite with TV with DVD, CD players and tea/coffee making facilities. Some superior rooms feature four poster beds and have the best views over Lake Windermere.Traditional Lakeland breakfast is served in the dining room with an array of continental breads, cereals and fruit with wonderful lake and mountain views. Full English is set out for you to help yourself and there are trays for you to take it all up to your room if you so wish - breakfast in bed do it yourself style!! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Lake House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lake House Hotel Ambleside
- Lake House Ambleside, Lake District