“What a great hotel!”

Ranked #16 of 103 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“What a great hotel!”
Reviewed 25 January 2009

I took my wife to the Lake House Hotel for her birthday and we had a wonderful time. We were warmly welcomed by Candice (the manager I think) on arrival and she couldn't have been more helpful. My wife doesn't like the UHT milk normally found in hotel rooms so Candice promptly popped back up with a jug of fresh milk which she'd placed in a silver bucket full of ice so it wouldn't go off. Candice did several little things like this during our three days at the Lake House which made our stay a really pleasent one. Candice has a real gift for hospitality!

The hotel itself is a lovely place, well maintained and full of character. We booked a Superior Double Room (room 5) which gave us fantastic views of the lakes and a first class on-suite bathroom with bath & shower. It was a very large room with a kingsize double and also a single bed. It also had a dressing table, tea and coffee making facilities and a TV / DVD player.
It was also one of the warmest hotels I've stayed in which was lovely in the cold weather.

The on-site breakfast restaurant is a welcoming and comfortable place to eat; the buffet breakfast is well stocked and the full English Breakfast was lovely! We found the staff very attentive and we lacked for nothing.

My wife has been to the lakes many times but the weekend we spent at the Lake House Hotel will always stay in our memories as one of the best!
Thank you Lake House & especially to Candice.
Love from Peter & Beth xx

• Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Northumberland
Reviewed 21 January 2009

A Christmas present from my son brought myself and the missus to the Lake House for two nights on a very cold but suuny weekend.
We were met at the door and shown our room - with magnificant views over Windermere.
The room was well appointed and modern - with a mag. chandilier!
Heating was ferocious and had to be turned down.
Don't know about the cost as it was a prezzie but the Lakes are expensive anyway.
Lake House is a four star AA rated hotel which is run more like a private house. The breakfasts were locally sourced (black pudding a delight) well cooked and the view from the dining room table was incredible.
BUT when you are on a diet, like myself, whilst they had all the flakes and brans and juices the fried breakfast was just too tempting-shame on you Lake House!
Only down side was they had removed the communal sitting room to enlarge the dining room - that was a miss - it needs somewhere you can sit with fellow guests and just natter - but thats my own thoughts - possibly the other people there see enough of me at breakfast - I know the wife says she sees enough of me - hey hooo!
All in all a wonderful break to built us up for the rest of the winter, as for the comments 'rough around the edges' - thats garbage, sorry.
The staff I nearly forgot were wonderful - particulalry the South African lady who ran the reception.
Well done Lake House - will see u again next winter.

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — no lounge
Bury
Reviewed 3 January 2009

Just returned from a two night stay at the Lake House Hotel. Greated by a warm welcome on arrival and promptly shown to a spacious and well presented room. Had i known the hotel had such wonderful lake views I would have upgraded to a room with a view. The staff were very helpful and a nice buffet style breakfast each morning. The hotel is in an excellent position only a 10 - 15 min walk to the centre of Ambleside.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to visit this lovely area. The hotel wasnt cheap however good value for money.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The fact i had to leave!
Poynton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2008

My wife and I stopped over at Lakehouse Hotel on our way upto Edinburgh for our "minimoon" (short honey moon before saving up to go on a big holiday :o) ).
We fortunately paid a reduced rate through an internet booking site as the full price rate for the room we had is more than a bit optomistic in it's intent.
The standard of furnishing was good, but the decor was ropey and poorly finished in some instances. The bathroom was particularly ugly and dated.
The view however was certainly very picturesque and the hotel's elevated stance within the village ensured we could see for miles across the lake.
The Staff at Lake House were predominantly polish i think and it has to be said that they were the real saving grace for this Hotel. We were both extrememly impressed with their attention to detail and how hard they worked. They were always very courteous and happy to help.
Breakfast was a strange affair and could, I admit, have been simply down to the guests that were there at the same time as us. We were the youngest guests by some margin at 30 years old.
The food was very good, but the atmosphere was oppressively reserved. We barely dared talk to each other and on the two occassions that I stood up to get us both some toast, I became either the most interesting thing to everyone in the room or universally hated for spoiling the peace and quiet with the rotary toaster. I'm not sure which opinion was being formed of me, but the intense staring meant we didn't eat much and chose instead to check out and get on the road.
In short, i bet my dear old nan would have adored Lakehouse if she was given a scooter to get up and down the drive way, but for sub 50's I'd consider elsewhere.

• Liked — Staff & View
  • Disliked — Parking & atmosphere
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bodhi808
England
Reviewed 1 December 2008

Just a quick one to recommend the cottage attached to The Lake House Hotel in Ambleside.....3 bed very clean....lovely views...staff amazingly helpful...stay there!

• Liked — Airy and light
  • Disliked — Leaving it
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Staffordshire
Reviewed 31 October 2008

This hotel is very overpriced in comparison with many others we have stayed in. I would say that the experience is similar to an average Bed and Breakfast accommodation. My parent's B&B is far superior and is half of the price, although I understand that £129 per night is a fairly standard price for the Lake District. There is no bar or lounge area and the hotel does not offer snacks or evening meals. We ate in the sister hotel, The Regent which was certainly not worth the £27.50 a head. Breakfast was buffet style and there was enough to choose from, although there are no vegetarian options. Staff were very friendly, but rushed off their feet during breakfast. We only saw two staff during our stay who appeared to do everything from reception to serving at breakfast.
We stayed in Room 10 which had fantastic views of the lake. The four poster bed was comfortable, but there were about four other styles of furniture in the room; nothing matched at all. The carpet was dirty, but was cream in colour, so prone to stains I suppose. The bathroom was good with a wall mounted shower and bath/shower gel, shampoo etc were provided. There wasn't a hair dryer.
We bought a bottle of red wine from the reception which was decently priced and watched a complimentary DVD.
The hotel is a 15-20 walk from Ambleside. Because of its elevated position I would not advise anyone with mobility problems to stay here. Also the car park is too small, impossible to turn around on and is entered/exited via a single track driveway, so if you meet someone coming in the opposite direction, someone is going to have to reverse! During breakfast, a guest was asked if he could move his car, as he was blocking someone in. He hadn't parked irresponsibly, it's just that there was nowhere else to park.
Overall, we had a comfortable night, but would have been very disappointed if we had of being staying any longer. We expected more of a four star hotel.

• Liked — The view from our room
  • Disliked — poor facilities, e.g. no bar, lounge etc
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sukimac
essex
Reviewed 24 October 2008

The hotel is set slightly elevated at Waterhead Bay with great views.
It was our anniversary so a special weekend and so my boyfriend ensured that we had a lake view room and a bath to relax after those long walks-we stayed in room 10 and it was very comfortable with a 4 poster bed and a stunning view of waterhead bay and the surrounding fells. Not all rooms have the view or a bath-so check before you book.
The hotel does not have a bar or a restaurant-it didn't matter to us as there is so many places to eat and drink in Ambleside and we spent most of the time out exploring! When we did fancy watching the world go by out of the window we got some bottled beers from reception which they sold 3 for £5.
The staff are really friendly and cannot be any more helpfull. Although reception is not manned 24/7 they are always not far away and give you everything you need before leaving for the night at 10pm.
I particulary like the fact that it was a well run, unique hotel with only 12 rooms-so never busy or loud with lots of guests. It did feel more like a very high-end bed and breakfast, rather than a serviced hotel. You can use the facilities (pool/gym) of the regent hotel just below, but we never got round to it.
Back to the staff, they were complete gems and were extra helpfull in assisting my boyfriend organising flowers/champagne and making it a very romantic weekend.
Ambleside is such a pretty place, i much preferred it to Windemere.

I dont know the rates of the rooms as all was booked as a surprise-I was really happy with the service, the view, the breakfast and the staff-a beautiful place to explore from and one that holds lots of great memories-a fab experience.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple