“A Hotel with spirit !”
Review of Kirkstone Pass Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ambleside
Kirkstone Pass Inn
Ranked #47 of 102 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I visited the Kirkstone Pass inn with two friends in early October and had a really nice time both in the local area and in the inn itself.A really relaxing spot and no problems with the resident ghosts infact the only spirits we encountered we're purchased from the bar !.Thank you to everyone at the inn for looking after us and hope to see you again in the not to distant future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Smiffy1960

Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

It was a lovely period pub.
Roy and staff go out of there way to be as helpful as he can be.
Food is so fantastic.
Bunk house is abit basic but it is value for money.
The views are brilliant and I just can't complain regarding the mountain walks.
Will certainly re-book here.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ricky B
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Visited this pub and location today 25th September. Fantastic location and lovely character pub with views that are out of this world. Was nice sitting next to a lovely open fire drinking one of the local beers. The only thing that spoilt it was the cold reception that we received from the man behind the bar, he was sooooo miserable and rude! Drinks are a bit expensive as well, we ordered 3 halves of bitter and half of Guinness and cost £9.95. All the negatives aside, still well worth a visit just even if its just to take in all the views.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Went for 1 night stay and wished we had stayed longer. Very remote area and very peaceful. Evening meal (separate purchase price) was
Good and home made and breakfast the next day was good portion size. Would say go its gorg location n place n staff are very friendly. Sorry bad spelling I'm tired x

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank madcat33
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The Kirkstone Pass Inn, for those who don't know the area, is at the very top of Kirkstone Pass between Patterdale and Windermere (and Ambleside if you take the short-cut road from near the top of the Pass). According to the sign, it is 1,481 feet above sea level and dates from 1496 AD. There is a free car park opposite, from where you can look down the Pass, though when we were there it was too misty to see much.

I stopped there for lunch with my daughter. The pub was quite full and when I asked whether there was any other seating, I was shown to a very pleasant and atmospheric family room. Our lunch was served within a reasonable time and we felt that the prices were reasonable, too. As an old building it is certainly impressive.

We had planned to take the short-cut road to Ambleside (which is on the right just past the pub as you are heading south) but hadn't had a chance to look it up and were put off by the large sign informing drivers that it is called 'The Struggle'. Not wishing to end up on a single track road with passing places, intermittent fog, fallen rocks and unfenced sheer drops, we went to Ambleside the long way around, which used much more of our overpriced petrol. When we looked it up on Google Maps when we got home, it didn't look too bad at all - and there was no sign saying 'The Struggle', so it's obviously new. I wish we had done it now and feel slightly miffed that we missed out!

Would I go back to the Kirkstone Pass Inn again? Yes, I would - it is a lovely old pub - and I'd go down The Struggle to get to Ambleside!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Canetoad71
Reviewed 23 July 2013

First time we have been in this part of the lakes after 40 years of travelling in the lakes
Food was excellent with pleasant service Ample parking with superb views, Well worth the visit if you are staying nr Ambleside, Lots of walks

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulRichards2
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Always popped in here for a drink on the way back to where were staying. My partner never realised that I had the sat-nav set to go this way EVERY day LOL. How could I miss a pint of Thirkstone Black.
Wonderful view sitting outside. Watching cars using the Struggle to Ambleside and back.
We never ate here so cannot comment on the food BUT seeing what was being served to other visitors, it looked scrumptious.
Service can be a little slow at peak (yeh, I know, it is at the top of the pass) times but, so what. It is only a small bar.
Loved the place and will be back on our next trip up to the Lakes.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple