“Lovely friendly spooky inn”
Review of Kirkstone Pass Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ambleside
Kirkstone Pass Inn
Ranked #57 of 103 Ambleside B&B and Inns
“Lovely friendly spooky inn”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night 17/05/2014 room was lovely, had ribeye steak which melted in your mouth and the pudding was to die for . It was extremely busy and the staff were very friendly and helpful .Would definitely recommend

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
UK
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I rate this pub for its great location for walkers/hikers, eerie atmosphere and a nice pint. You can even get there by bus from Windermere within 25 mins and then get the bus back if you don't have a car. The road up to the pub is long, winding and slightly treacherous in parts because of the sheep in the road and idiotic drivers who don't understand that they should slow down on tight bends. The food at this pub however is just awful. Visit this place for the views, hiking, fresh air and ghostly-goings on but don't eat here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank debbietr
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

April Stay 2014.
Arrived greeted with Roy aka "Royston" the manager all was very smooth and professional.
The room is super comfortable, remember this building is 500 years plus old don't expect High tech rooms.

Plenty selection of Ales and food plus specials boards, the bar staff are very attentive and knowledgeable...

The location is out over the moors, if you checkout the Hotel website it states don't expect a TV signal all the time, breakfast is at 9am and well worth the wait.
Mobile phone most likely will not work...

Its peaceful just you and the sheep...

The bar area gets very busy with walkers etc..so you have to wait a couple of minutes to get served its no big deal whats the rush?

Evening meal was selected and served tasted absolutely superb. Steak and Ale Pie.
Again breakfast served at 9am was perfect just the job for a very busy day ahead of me..

To sum up don't expect a brand new modern hotel with hi tech stuff.
yes things may go wrong, its a very old building...
The bar closes dependant on trade, common sense in my mind...

The rooms are clean serviceable and perfect for a quiet overnight stay. Thanks KPI and Staff i enjoyed my stay...

Room Tip: Any of the bedrooms they all have a great view to be honest
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Before I start, I must stress that this review relates purely to their Bunkhouse accommodation and not the actual Inn itself.
As part of the motorcycling fraternity I am used to seeking out budget accommodation for one night stops along my chosen route. I have had some incredible value for money beds and some not so good. However the KPI Bunkhouse was absolutely the worst I have ever experienced.
Three of us had spent a fantastic day taking in the sights on Kidsty Pike and despite a wet start, the weather eventually relented with the majority of our ramble bathed in glorious sunshine. The accommodation had been pre-booked at the KPI Bunkhouse to cater for the 4 legged members of our walking party. We were looking forward to a few well earned pints/bowls of fresh water as appropriate. On arrival at the KPI we were advised that food service would end at 9pm and as we were already well into early evening we decided to dine immediately. The Inn was quiet with a few dining couples and we were introduced to the effervescent Pat who filled our glasses, took our orders and engaged us with some friendly and amusing banter. All was well with the world.
After a few beers and commencement of the involuntary yawns, the notion of a hot shower, comfy bed and 'walkies', as necessary, became too hard to ignore. We decided to turn in and Pat gave us the keys to the Bunkhouse.
Now the term Bunkhouse is generally the preserve of no frills accommodation. The KPI clearly extrapolated that notion beyond parallel. The general layout was 2 rooms, a shower/toilet and an en-suite shed that contained a heap of quilts amongst general building materials. The bare tiled floor was interspersed with concrete patches and the 6 in each room bunks looked to have been made from spare decking. The inner room obviously catered for the little people as denoted by the smaller bunk sizes. The mattresses looked to have been around since the late 1800s but were actually quite passable once disguised by the provided clean sheet and pillow case. This was the only linen provided and the lack of towels caused me a momentary problem fortunately rectified by the ever helpful Pat. To continue the tour; Between the 2 rooms, was a manky bit of carpet covering a tilting manhole cover that clattered interestingly with every foot/paw step. The toilet/shower was only missing what must surely have been the recently removed urinals. The poor decorative state did not inspire confidence and I was thankful for a healthy immune system. We were subsequently delighted to learn that room number 2 employed a self cleaning floor system, courtesy of the leaking shower tray. You might consider that I have tendency to the pedantic but it was so bad we actually looked around for the lifeboat stations.
The window in the main room, was bereft of curtains which added to the stark quality of the interior, although it provided a safe haven for an assorted spider community. Getting in and out of the bunkhouse was a challenge as the door was surely never designed to fit the aperture. Although it was amusing to watch the efforts of your amigos, provided you were watching their vain attempts from the inside.
Despite the tortured muscles and alcoholically induced slumber attempts, those unlucky enough to have bunked in the first room (me) were treated to a gale force 9 from the 4inch gap under the door. I did momentarily consider lashing myself to one of the bunk legs but simply altered my aspect ration by rotating through 180 degrees so my feet took the brunt.
I am not overly fussy and as stated have taken advantage of all sorts of budget accommodation all over the UK. All of this might have been manageable were it not for the overpriced (and I mean seriously overpriced) nature of this Bunkhouse
More annoyingly, despite no cooking facilities, breakfast was not included and I regretted my decision to pre-pay the previous evening. we slept so poorly that we were all roused by 6am and decided to forgo the breakfast as it meant waiting till 9am. We simply headed home.
The location is fantastic and the KPI Bunkhouse could be made into a nice habitat with minimal investment and a bit of thought
Owners, if you think what you currently offer is acceptable, I suggest you go and look at other bunkhouses, for example, the one in Corpach near Fort William. Its palatial by comparison and at half the cost.

Room Tip: I actually have nothing positive to say about the Bunkhouse other than it kept the rain off. It may...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank George D
Ripon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My partner and I stayed at The Kirkstone Pass Inn for four nights in the Four Poster Suite to celebrate her 50th birthday and had a wonderful time. We were made to feel very welcome upon arrival and shown to the room which 'wowed' us straight away. It was spotlessly clean, well appointed and the view from every window was breathtaking.
We didn't eat here on our first night as being Sunday the bar etc closed at 6pm but this was made very clear when I booked and I received a phone call a couple of days before we arrived confirming our booking and making sure we knew this. However after having breakfast the following morning we ate here every night. The breakfast was absolutely superb, high quality ingredients and very well cooked and the evening meals were to the same standard.
We had a wonderful stay at the Inn and would like to say a very big thankyou to everyone there for making our visit so memorable and we can't wait to return.
Besos xx

Room Tip: The Four Poster Suite is absolutely wonderful and we would not hesitate to recommend it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I could be forgiven for thinking that the owner of this pub is relying on the magnificent location and aged character of the pub, combined with guaranteed passing tourist trade for sustained income. But I LIVE in the Lake District and am always on the lookout for good places for food and a pint. I've been to the Kirkstone Pass Inn a number of times, and the food is pretty average pub grub, always edible but never any "wow factor" ... but what will certainly stop me from going there often if ever again, is the management decision to have only one person serving at the bar at lunchtimes. This one person has to serve drinks, take food orders, change beer barrels and even make coffees or hot chocolate it seems. When coaches of tourists arrive, it's an utter nonsense. Every single visit to the bar involves an eternity in a queue, and spoils the experience of being there. All this could be sorted out by hiring one extra person - what would it cost you, compared to the repeat trade you are losing? Last time I was there, I got so bored waiting in line, I started picking up leaflets to read, then when I got to the bar, the bar-maid said "that'll be £1.20 for the bookmark" which apparently referred to what I was holding, and thought to be an advertisement for the Inn. For heavens' sake KPI, get your act together, you could be so much better. Where's the pub equivalent of Gordon Ramsay when you need him?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TheHikingDude
Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My self and my husband stopped here for lunch Thursday 27th March. The place was fairly busy and first impressions were good. Lovely old fashioned pub with roaring log fire. Unfortunately it went downhill rapidly from there. Service at the bar was very very slow, was disappointed with the choice on the menu. We ordered the homemade soup and a chicken burger with salad. Words cannot describe how disappointed we were with the food that was served to us. The chicken burger was extremely small, overcooked and served on a soggy muffin. The salad consisted of a very small amount of shredded lettuce, one slice of cucumber and one slice of tomato. I can't believe that for this along with a glass of wine and half a bitter cost us £17.00. It makes my blood boil that these places think serving second rate food is acceptable. Maybe we just had a bad experience?? Certainly would NEVER go back

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ginmatt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
The Patterdale Hotel
#2 of 12 in Patterdale
Brotherswater Inn
Brotherswater Inn
#1 of 12 in Patterdale

Been to Kirkstone Pass Inn? Share your experiences!