“King of Queens”
Review of Queen's Hotel

Queen's Hotel
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Reviewed 26 November 2012

For the price paid you could not fault the service, friendliness and quality of the place. I would recommend this place to anyone. You may see that some people say the place is a little dated or the beds are small but I have stayed in all manner of places and never made feel as genuinely welcome as this. The Staff are fantastic and a credit to the place. You can keep all your fancy hand soaps and flair. This place is the tops :)

1  Thank Kieran A

Reviewed 21 November 2012

Booked this hotel a few weeks before we were due to travel to Ambleside. As we were a party of four guys we wanted somewhere to stay after the Hellvelyn walk.
On arrival the hotel was being redecorated but the staff apologised for this and understandably we were aware that a major redecoration was underway. For the price paid the rooms were good and the bar served excellent ale and whisky !
Staff were friendly and could not do enough. The breakfast on the Wednesday morning was very good and the staff attentive in fact they couldnt do enough.

This hotel is set in Ambleside and has some interesting history, it is a very good base indeed to do walks from and also to sample local food. Whilst we were a team of four chaps i would recommend people to give this a try. The management do seem to be listening to peoples views and although they are re-decorating the place at the minute im sure it will be very good indeed when its done.

Room Tip: If youre not sure what you are getting, have a look first!
1  Thank Mick H
Reviewed 21 November 2012

4 men needed some where to stay after a walk up Helvellyn, and this place was more than ideal. A previous review says "a basic hotel charging 5* prices". In our experience, the hotel was basic yes, is undergoing some much needed re-decoration, but the staff were warm and friendly, the food was excellent, the choice of ales and whiskeys was more than enough, and for £33/night for B&B, a real bargain. Would we stay there again under the same circumstances? Yes, as it was more than fit for purpose.

1  Thank Paula F
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Compared to the surrounding B&Bs and hotels, I found this little hotel to be the best value. I visited in September with my dad. I probably wasn't paying as much as the visitors in peak tourism season. For an American it is pretty incredible to be staying in a hotel older than my own country. The rooms where basic but clean, the pud was basic but quaint. Since we where there only one night we only had the opportunity to dine in for the breakfast. My dad agrees with me on the fact that is was by far the best full breakfast we had the entire trip.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Alex G
Reviewed 14 October 2012 via mobile

I have never seen a dirtier bathroom than the one in our room. If that alone wasn't enough to put us off, the rooms were TINY, and extremely expensive. Rooms aside, I don't mind paying more for good service, but the staff are not attentive AT ALL. When I wanted to check out, I first had to wait 15+ minutes while the receptionist discussed Christmas turkeys with the cleaning staff, even after she saw me waiting. Very rude and unprofessional. I admit (begrudgingly) that the location is good, but have stayed in nicer, cheaper places in Ambleside that are also central. A truly disappointing hotel experience.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 4 October 2012 via mobile

Ate here the night before my wedding at langdale chase,had booked a table for 10 of us,pretty disappointing,although a good range of cask ale the food was pretty mediocre at best! Although the electronic towel dispenser in the gents was ace!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 13 September 2012 via mobile

6 Guys stayed here after booking last minute. Only two rooms left. One double and one double with a single bed.

We were charged £45 per person which made the rooms more expensive than some of the best rooms in town.

This was a joke as the rooms wernt worth £40 each.

Decor is dated and tatty, toilets so small you can hardly turn around in them. Sitting on the toilet meant pressing your nose against the door.

Breakfast was burnt toast and stale cereal.

Wouldn't dream of staying here if your looking for a pleasant experience of Ambleside.

Best thing about the hotel is the location.

• Stayed: September 2012