Queen's Hotel
The Fisherbeck(Ambleside)
The Regent Hotel(Ambleside)
The Samling Hotel(Windermere)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspub grubreal aleplenty of hot watercentral locationdouble roomtown centrealestlclakesrearpubswalkswindermere
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Wandered into the restaurant for a meal on a Sunday evening.

The restaurant was actually empty so the end result is we got served extremely quickly. I ordered the gammon which was of decent quality although not as many chips as I would have liked, especially as the food was a little bit on the pricier side of things. The day time menu however looked a lot more varied than the evening menu so I will have to give that a go.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I quite liked this hotel although I'm really not sure why. We went for the four poster room based on the reviews. At £80 per night the room was ok. The bed was comfortable. However the bathroom had been cleaned but not well enough. Don't get too excited about the 'spa bath' - it's a little dated to say the least. The room was cold even though the heating was on. The furniture was cheap and the bathrooms looked very very dated. The guy on reception was really friendly and actually made me not rate this as poor. The breakfast was large but in the most part greasy. it was a charming place but I would have been disappointed if it was a special occasion or I was paying for more than one night. The cellar bar is a bit odd!
It's such a shame as this hotel is in a lovely location right in the centre. Please somebody spend some money on this lovely building and bring it up to date and give those bathrooms a good clean!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We have eaten here every night while on holiday in the lakes in the past. This time we decided to get away without the dogs. So we booked one of the four poster rooms.
Staff are up to their usual high standard and friendly. Food is great value and fresh. Room 7 is roomy and comfortable.
We will certainly return later in the year.

Room Tip: Go for romance, get a 4 poster, right in the center of Ambleside
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2013

We stayed at the Queens Hotel back in November 2012, we had a beautiful four poster bed and whirlpool bath which were both much appreciated. The room we stayed in had been redecorated and the corridor leading to it and you can tell that when the refurb is complete it will look lovely.
All the members of staff we came across were very friendly and helpful and the food was nice too.
It is very central but does only have a small car park and if thats full parking is a bit of an issue.
We must have picked the coldest weekend of the year and unfortunately the hotel didn't offer as much warmth as we would have liked, I suppose thats because it is an old building and I think to replace the windows would take away some of its charm. Again because of the lack of double glazing we did get a bit of noise from the street at night time.
In all it is a nice friendly place to stay, good value for money, the bed was very comfortable- just remember your hot water bottle during the cold months!

Room Tip: request a four poster bed room
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Torey27
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I visited The Queens hotel last summer and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and my family did also! The staff are so friendly especially the head bar man, the food was very nice but the office staff were slow and a little bit moody and unfriendly. The rooms could do with a touch up, here and there but overall me and my family enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family