“Much more than I expected for the price paid.”
Review of Queen's Hotel

Queen's Hotel
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised with the Queen's Hotel, before I arrived I had assumed it'd be a room above a pub in a small and possibly noisy location, but that is not the case.
We wanted a base from which to explore the lakes, and stayed in rooms 19 and 20, two singles. Whilst the rooms are not the most modern, they were clean and had everything needed for our stay (minus one battery from the TV remote). I'm not sure but it seemed as though all the communal areas of the hotel upstairs have recently been given a lick of paint, and were also clean.
The hotel overall has a friendly, relaxed atmosphere, much more personal than the usual budget hotel service.
I have no doubt that should I return to the area I would definitely book with the Queen's Hotel again, and would recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Stonech76
There are newer reviews for Queen's Hotel

Reviewed 9 May 2013

My stay was very good with very friendly staff, great pub grub ( I had cumberland sausage and mash... it was wonderful) and a great selection of beers... the one drawback was the awful bed... it was a single room but the mattress had seen better days I'm afraid so very uncomfortable nights sleep. Also keep in mind there's not many car parking spaces attached to the hotel so you have to be prepared to on street park and move your car by 11am the following morning... .not too much hassle to do this but worth keeping in mind.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Our room overlooking the Tourist Office was of a very good size with ample storage space. The meals here breakfast and dinner were so so lacing in variety and imagination. what is good is the central location close to shops and buses. The huge problem is car parking the hotel has a tiny space for about 5 cars and you cannot pre book this. You have to take your chances here or in the municipal car park and her you can obtain a three day ticket for 15 GBP which is quite good and includes overnightarking

Room Tip: there is a four poster room with jacuzzi if you want to upgrade
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a lovely time. Every member of staff we met was friendly, chatty and happy to help, the staff are a real credit to the hotel. The room itself was a little small and the bathroom a bit dated, for the price we paid I would have liked something a bit bigger and more modern but we didn't come here to stay in our room so it was more than fine to use as our base for exploring the local area. We ate an evening meal at the hotel and the food was good and very reasonably priced. We also had breakfast here on both mornings, all I would say here is that if you are after a healthy breakfast you should go elsewhere, everything was quite greasy. We would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Wandered into the restaurant for a meal on a Sunday evening.

The restaurant was actually empty so the end result is we got served extremely quickly. I ordered the gammon which was of decent quality although not as many chips as I would have liked, especially as the food was a little bit on the pricier side of things. The day time menu however looked a lot more varied than the evening menu so I will have to give that a go.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I quite liked this hotel although I'm really not sure why. We went for the four poster room based on the reviews. At £80 per night the room was ok. The bed was comfortable. However the bathroom had been cleaned but not well enough. Don't get too excited about the 'spa bath' - it's a little dated to say the least. The room was cold even though the heating was on. The furniture was cheap and the bathrooms looked very very dated. The guy on reception was really friendly and actually made me not rate this as poor. The breakfast was large but in the most part greasy. it was a charming place but I would have been disappointed if it was a special occasion or I was paying for more than one night. The cellar bar is a bit odd!
It's such a shame as this hotel is in a lovely location right in the centre. Please somebody spend some money on this lovely building and bring it up to date and give those bathrooms a good clean!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We have eaten here every night while on holiday in the lakes in the past. This time we decided to get away without the dogs. So we booked one of the four poster rooms.
Staff are up to their usual high standard and friendly. Food is great value and fresh. Room 7 is roomy and comfortable.
We will certainly return later in the year.

Room Tip: Go for romance, get a 4 poster, right in the center of Ambleside
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple