“weekend visit”
Review of Queen's Hotel

Queen's Hotel
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Reviewed 25 April 2014

after reading other comments I was a bit apprehensive about our booking. the car park which I admit is small but we were lucky enough to get the last space but some other idiot came and blocked everyone else in and was not pleased about having to keep coming out to move it and then put it back in the same place. the hotel we were booked in and were in our room in minutes, all services and drinks can be put on your bill if you wish, the room is a bit dated but it was clean enough and the bed was very comfortable and warm. the bars and dining rooms were very well laid out and clean and served by friendly staff. we didn't have main meals there as we were out all day until late evening but at breakfast you could have what you wanted even if it was not on the menu as the staff were very obliging. avoid negative attitudes and see for yourself.

Room Tip: we were on the top floor and would have liked one lower due to the stairs
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank lordbamf

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Its a shame that a hotel which commands such a prominent location in the town centre could be allowed to become so shabby. The hotel is in dire need of a refurbishment and although the bar and public rooms were clean and tidy our bedroom was tiny, the furniture had seen better days and the bathroom had damp patches coming through the wall. The bed had a very thin, hard mattress and although the sheets were clean, the throw at the bottom of the bed had large stains over it. The windows had obviously not been cleaned for some time, the cobwebs "decorating" the top inside corners being evidence of this. Breakfast was adequate although the toast wasn't exactly toasted - overall the staff were polite and helpful but we felt the whole hotel was tired and dated and a bit of time and money needs to be spent to bring it up to the standard travellers expect these days.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christine K
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We have had the pleasure of dining out at The Queens Hotel for the second time now. The first time was brilliant and the second visit excellent as the bar staff remembered us by name and the service and food was second to none. I am usually a very fussy eater, yet the meals served were demolished by myself and my partner.. They have a very well stocked bar and a great range of guest ales from all over Cumbria that just have to be sampled (hic !) I can thoroughly recommend The Queens Hotel as they tick every box for a great night out.

Room Tip: Did not stay here but all those we talked to that were staying here were very happy with their rooms...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2014

A group of nine decided to make the Queens our base for a walking weekend. It is centrally located so minimal use of cars for walking and nightlife. It was an excellent choice and all nine of us had a great time. The reception from Carl was very friendly and efficient. The rooms were all very comfortable, clean, quiet and en suite. The bar was friendly and used by many locals, probably because its the cheapest beer in Ambleside. It also included my favourite Lakeland beer from Yates. The evening meal on Saturday was excellent. I am a veggie so opted for the sausage, mash, veg & onion gravy. It didn't sound too exciting but it was a very tasty dish. My carnivore friends highly recommended the Lamb Henry. The restaurant was very busy, with some large groups (up to 19) and the staff coped admirably. Service was very efficent.

We had intended to visit other nightspots in Ambleside, but with 3 festivals on this weekend, everywhere was very busy so we stayed in the comfy Queens Bar. The one exception was the meal out at Zeffirellis Restaurant (walking distance from the Queens) on Friday night which was excellent.

Breakfast was served by a friendly and efficient lady. No Mrs Overall here. Fruit, juice, cereal, full English, lots of toast, tea & coffee. A perfect start for the day's walking.

At the end of our walk, we also stopped off for tea & stickies at Sheila's Cottage which is just behind the Queens.

The only negative point is the tight parking for 6 vehicles. As we were a big group, this wasn't much of a problem as we could block each other in, knowing that we were not moving our cars for the weekend. (Another advantage of the central location). One of our late arrivals had to park at the shoolyard just down the road, where you can park for the weekend and donate via the honesty box.

We will be back again next year.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hugh C
Reviewed 26 January 2014

It's a shame that this hotel disappointed on some levels as it's location is great right in the centre of Ambleside close to shops, bars and restaurants.
The reception staff were polite and helpful and made us very welcome and the downstairs bar and restaurant were excellent however the room we were allocated left a lot to be desired, it was reasonably clean and warm but the decor and furnishing's were in need of renovation. The bathroom was tatty and very small with only a shower which had quite a step up into it in fact it was impossible to use the sink with the door closed with any degree of comfort. TV reception in the room was poor and was provided by an old 12 inch TV attached to a bracket near the ceiling. During the evening noise from the Cellar bar could be heard in the room especially as the room did not have double glazing, the noise became a nuisance late into the night until at least 1 am with revelers outside the bar laughing, shouting and screaming which meant sleeping before this time was a problem. Breakfast in the hotel was excellent. Parking can be a problem as there is only space for about 6 (small) cars to the rear or the hotel in a little courtyard. The hotel is a maze of corridors and small flights of stairs so not recommended for the infirm.
We stayed in room 202.

Room Tip: Do not accept rooms 201,202 and 203 if you want an early night.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank N0thingbutthetruth
Reviewed 1 January 2014

A shabby, tired hotel, with a surly, rude manager. The breakfast was the worst I've ever eaten; poor quality ingredients, cooked poorly! The bloke on reception tried hard, but everything else was desperate. My room was cramped and noisy and I will avoid this hostelry like the plague next time in Ambleside. A real shame, because it's a charming lakeland town, but my friends and I simply made the wrong choice!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Hood40
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stopped at the Queen's for the first time this November having tried in the past but found it fully booked. The staff were always polite and helpful although I did have to wait an unexpectedly long time for someone to man reception and give me my room key when I returned to the hotel on the Saturday afternoon. The bedroom (no. 15) was perfectly adequate, comfortable and warm. The bathroom is due a refurbishment but the shower had a good powerful flow. The selection of real ales, mainly Cumbrian, in the bar is as good if not better than anywhere else in Ambleside and there is the Cellar Bar that has good televised sports coverage and is open late. A group of 13 friends, most staying elsewhere, joined me to eat in the restaurant on the Friday evening. We came in without an advanced booking quite late in the evening and although we were accommodated I think we took the kitchen by surprise. My meal was very good but a couple in the party sent their food back for one minor reason or another. The Queen's is right in the centre of Ambleside and has a car park for 4 or 5 cars round the back, (this is inadequate for the size of the hotel) but the spaces in front of the hotel are disc parking (30 min limit) between 10am and 6pm so it is usually possible to check in and drop off the luggage before finding a place to park more long term. The Queen's isn't luxury, it doesn't claim to be and a very competitive tariff reflects this but it more than served my purposes and I would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends