“Perfect!”

Ferndale Lodge
Ranked #70 of 103 Ambleside B&B and Inns
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I have visited Ambleside twice and both times I stopped at furndale lodge. Each time I have been very impressed with the friendly atmosphere and impeccable cleanliness. The rooms have everything you need and you are guaranteed to have a greats night sleep as the beds were unbelievably comfy. Breakfast was yum and nothing seemed too much trouble. Great start for an action packed day ahead. I have recommended furndale to all my friends and wouldn't go anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at ferndale many times and the last review has prompted me to post my comments. The location is superb and the owner Rob is the reason we return so often. Nothing is too much trouble from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave. Rob and his team are superb, the service and friendliness are excellent and the breakfasts are beyond expectations. The B and B is also dog friendly. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfy. I have stayed in most rooms and can say this with confidence. I will be returning in November with friends and can't wait. If you want a few days away with guaranteed friendly service and value for money then look no further. I know I won't !

• Stayed April 2013
Bollington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

What massive disappointment! Being on my own I booked the single room. I arrived about 5pm after a days walking, the male owner, he never introduced himself, bolted out from the back, thrust the key into my hand, quickly garbled breakfast ordering instructions at me, pointed upstairs and vanished.
The room was very, very small, I had to climb over the toilet to access the tiny shower cubicle, the cubicle was so tiny, in the end I had to sit on the loo to wash my feet as you cannot bend down in it. The room had a sink, but if you wanted a brew you have to decant the water into the kettle, as it wouldn't fit under the tap.
In the morning, the female partner of the male owner, served me with an adequate breakfast, again, no greeting, just direct questioning about food. Then when I came to check out the very same female bolted from the back, took one look at me and shouted to the male owner my room number, not my name, which I don't think they knew anyway. He barked a figure back. I paid and left.
Never before have I stayed in such a cold, soulless, unfriendly place and I visit Ambleside regularly. Their front of house skills were appalling, the welcome was awful and the room was at best cramped. I would think long and hard about using this outfit if I were you, especially given the other great places in Ambleside.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here and your a lone traveller, avoid The single room at all costs. Although my...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Wypaz
isle of man
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The boarding house was only a few yards from the main shopping are which was very good, short walk for all amenities. The room was at the back of the boarding house attached to the car park, the room was lovely and quiet but the bed was not comfortable. some of the bulbs had gone that needed to be replace,should have been checked before we arrived. The breakfast was good if you order the night before, found that out next morning to be greeted with chef counts the bacon and muffins the night before, surely there are fridges to keep extra for emergencies.

Room Tip: No comments
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
wallasey
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Arrived Friday night,12 July,for a 3 night break we were in room 2, the room was spotless, the staff were very helpful, we had a choice for breakfast, full English, or any combination we wanted,2mins and you are in the middle of ambleside, plenty places to eat or have a drink, when we do go back this is where would stay

Room Tip: Room 2 is on the ground floor and very quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Stayed Ferndale Lodge, Ambleside two nights in June 2013. Friendly welcome from Rob. B&B is few minutes from centre of Ambleside, with about ten free car spaces at the back of the B&B alongside the pay and display car park. Choice of breakfast options, plus clean rooms, comfy bed with all the amenities e.g. tea, coffee, towels etc. Two things, first I booked this through bookings.com when it would have been cheaper to book direct. Second the breakfast room was set out with a table for each room and staying there with friends in different rooms i.e. on different tables it was slightly difficult to have conversation not impossible though. I would stay there again but I would book direct.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed here for 1 night while attending a wedding nearby. Staff were friendly and the room was ideal for us. It was clean,furnished well and had tea/coffee facilities too. We were given a variety of options for breakfast and was very good.
The bed was very comfy and we both had a decent nights sleep with no noise from other residents.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple