“Excellent B&B, great location close to the centre of town”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ferndale Lodge

Ferndale Lodge
Ferndale Lodge
Ranked #69 of 103 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Excellent B&B, great location close to the centre of town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

We have used Ferndale Lodge on a number of previous trips to the lake district and simply don't even consider anywhere else. Even though we didn't manage to visit last year we had no hesitation in rebooking for this years visit. Clean, comfortable, friendly, great breakfast, excellent value and brilliant location close to the centre of Ambleside.........need we say anything else.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

It was a 3 night stay and we could not ask for better place! It was clean and neat, located in the centre of Ambleside, the gentleman owner and ladies who worked there were very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was delicious and, what is not always available elsewhere, served for an hour and not just 30 minutes. We had a double room on the top floor, overlooking the street (not a busy one so not much noise), gardens on the opposite side of the road and some hills on the horizon. The size of the room was ok and the bed was really comfortable. And all that for a reasonable price. We would definitely advise this place to a friend/family and we would happily go there ourselves again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Halifax, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

My son and I have just spent two nights at Ferndale Lodge as a 'mini holiday' in the Lake District. As a fairly 'last minute' plan, it was booked solely down to being the most reasonably priced b&b in the area at the time ...we just needed somewhere to sleep and be central to activities, we weren't expecting or needing much, just a bed, a shower and a basic breakfast.
We got a little lost in a one way system and found ourselves heading toward Wray castle, so decided to pop in and enjoy the area and phoning them to let them know we would be checking in later in the evening we found them more than understanding and very inviting, friendly and personal when we did finally arrive.
Breakfast was great in both in content and service, my son thoroughly enjoyed his full English (and although I questioned if he'd manage it all before he ordered ) he got through it! He was also advised he could modify it the next day so he chose one less sausage and no egg though this still made for a good sized breakfast! The breakfast card- having a great choice of cooked breakfasts from full breakfasts to scrambled egg on toast to choose from the evening before, makes things run impressively smoothly for both staff and guests.
The service at breakfast was warm and personal (noticing my son likes a cup of tea with breakfast but can't drink a full pot so only half filling it for him the next day for example).
Aside from the cooked breakfasts (I chose English muffins with eggs and bacon both mornings and it was delicious) there is ample choice of cereal, yoghurts and fresh fruits from grapefruit in juice to fresh raspberries, blackberries and strawberries. Enough to set you up for a days hiking/watersports/sightseeing. We found we didn't need a full lunch thanks to the fantastic breakfasts we could go till dinner time with just a snack in between.
The staff at Ferndale lodge have a great balance in friendly and warm and being 'in your face' as you're free to come and go as you please and enjoy your stay with complete privacy.
Ferndale Lodge is less than a minutes walk from the centre of Ambleside - we couldn't have picked a better location if we had known the area well!
The room was clean, bright and cosy and the ensuite was lovely for the size of it (the space was used well!).
Ferndale lodge totally exceeded our expectations (based on stays in b&bs from Whitby to London at relative cost and size) and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I have visited Ambleside twice and both times I stopped at furndale lodge. Each time I have been very impressed with the friendly atmosphere and impeccable cleanliness. The rooms have everything you need and you are guaranteed to have a greats night sleep as the beds were unbelievably comfy. Breakfast was yum and nothing seemed too much trouble. Great start for an action packed day ahead. I have recommended furndale to all my friends and wouldn't go anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at ferndale many times and the last review has prompted me to post my comments. The location is superb and the owner Rob is the reason we return so often. Nothing is too much trouble from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave. Rob and his team are superb, the service and friendliness are excellent and the breakfasts are beyond expectations. The B and B is also dog friendly. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfy. I have stayed in most rooms and can say this with confidence. I will be returning in November with friends and can't wait. If you want a few days away with guaranteed friendly service and value for money then look no further. I know I won't !

• Stayed April 2013
Bollington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

What massive disappointment! Being on my own I booked the single room. I arrived about 5pm after a days walking, the male owner, he never introduced himself, bolted out from the back, thrust the key into my hand, quickly garbled breakfast ordering instructions at me, pointed upstairs and vanished.
The room was very, very small, I had to climb over the toilet to access the tiny shower cubicle, the cubicle was so tiny, in the end I had to sit on the loo to wash my feet as you cannot bend down in it. The room had a sink, but if you wanted a brew you have to decant the water into the kettle, as it wouldn't fit under the tap.
In the morning, the female partner of the male owner, served me with an adequate breakfast, again, no greeting, just direct questioning about food. Then when I came to check out the very same female bolted from the back, took one look at me and shouted to the male owner my room number, not my name, which I don't think they knew anyway. He barked a figure back. I paid and left.
Never before have I stayed in such a cold, soulless, unfriendly place and I visit Ambleside regularly. Their front of house skills were appalling, the welcome was awful and the room was at best cramped. I would think long and hard about using this outfit if I were you, especially given the other great places in Ambleside.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here and your a lone traveller, avoid The single room at all costs. Although my...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Wypaz
isle of man
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

The boarding house was only a few yards from the main shopping are which was very good, short walk for all amenities. The room was at the back of the boarding house attached to the car park, the room was lovely and quiet but the bed was not comfortable. some of the bulbs had gone that needed to be replace,should have been checked before we arrived. The breakfast was good if you order the night before, found that out next morning to be greeted with chef counts the bacon and muffins the night before, surely there are fridges to keep extra for emergencies.

Room Tip: No comments
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple