The Fisherbeck
Queen's Hotel(Ambleside)
The Samling Hotel(Windermere)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgarden roomspa bathwoodside cottageporridgeb bsmoked haddocklake districtboiled eggshotel is spotlessly cleanbreakfast menubreakfast was excellentbreakfast stafffantastic breakcar parkshort walklovely loungeleave your car
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Had a lovely stay at this Hotel the last weekend in September. The room was comfortable, spotless and to a high standard. The breakfasts were first class and the waiting staff very attentive. Mr and Mrs Lane take a real interest in their guests and this makes all the difference. Perfectly situated just a few minutes walk in to Ambleside or the other way to Waterhead where you can catch the boat to Bowness. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone wishing to find somewhere to stay in The Lakes.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I have recently stayed here twice, firstly in a delightful balcony room then in a family room. Very comfortable all round with brilliant service at breakfast- as was the food.The staff work together extremely well as a team and do so in a warm,friendly, courteous and professional manner. Elaine on reception went out of her way to assist with booking a taxi. Parking arrangements were very flexible. Thank you for a lovely stay. Will return in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 248will
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The main reason for choosing the Fisherbeck after much research were the reviews on Tripadvisor. So I'm sharing my experience to hopefully help others make an informed decision.

Our room was well appointed on the top floor and was a decent size with a king sized bed, we chose one of the more expensive rooms as this was our main holiday. For the price we paid I would have expected everything to be above average. The lights over the bathroom mirrors did not work. The wi-fi in the hotel did not work in our room so we had to go to the lounge to write our emails, this was inconvenient. However the room was clean and warm with not too many noise issues (because it was on the top floor). Also the coffee's we ordered in the lounge were good (be careful not to burn your mouth!).

Parking was a major challenge - not enough parking spaces for the number of rooms so we had to leave our keys with reception so they could move our car if necessary. The food at breakfast was very good with a varied selection to choose from. The thing that spoilt it for us was the intricate detail with which people were seated for breakfast. There seemed to be some system of people of a certain type getting certain tables or maybe they were in a particular room - I didn't understand why it couldn't be open seating. But it was a major issue when someone was incorrectly seated at the wrong table - I felt a scene out of Faulty Towers ensuing. Also some people were treated in a much more friendly way than others. I saw one previous review using the word "pretentious" and that's a perfect way to describe it.

As a very well travelled person I would give this place a miss and either choose a cheaper B&B which would likely be more friendly or pay a little extra for a hotel. Maybe if you're a regular visitor you have a different experience. As feedback for the Fisherbeck a more relaxed non-regimented breakfast with some Northern friendliness would have helped! That's why I'm giving this an "average" rating.

Room Tip: If you must stay choose a higher floor - but I would not recommend this place.
1  Thank freqworld_traveller
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Why do we go back? Because a short break needs to deliver and for us Lake District spirits, the Fisherbeck allows me to forget any forebodings and just know that I can jump in and relax without fear of drowning. The smoked haddock with one poached egg remains the finest in the civilised world. There are of course better things in the uncivilised domain but the risks aren't worth it.

Room Tip: No way. I am not telling you. However, the garden rooms gave good shower water pressure.
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Just returned from our 16th visit to the Fisherbeck, in my opinion there is no better hotel in an ideal location to explore the Lake District. Breakfasts are tasty and to die for and set you up for day. The hotel and en-suite rooms are always very clean and pleasantly decorated. There is ample off street car parking within the curtilage of the property or the adjacent public car park.Mr.&Mrs Lane are ideal hosts being most friendly and welcoming,furthermore the staff are always courteous and helpful.
A stay at the Fisherbeck is always a pleasant, relaxing experience--"Home from Home" d`ont just take my word,TRY IT. My wife and I are soon to plan our next trip, we cannot wait.
Colin Isle of Man

Room Tip: All rooms are very good however Garden rooms ideal for persons who have difficulty in climbing stairs. Rooms with Fell views very sunny.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family