“Break”
Review of Cherry Garth

Cherry Garth
Ranked #100 of 102 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

We booked a break in Ambleside at the Cherry Garth from a Wednesday until a Saturday, I upgraded the room and we stayed in room twenty three on first floor, a lovely view from the window, the room is well appointed, tv with free view and DVD ( there is a good selection available from the owners own private collection) spacious bathroom with separate shower cubicle, jacuzzi bath. An excellent breakfast buffet is available in the morning with good choice, I had full English one morning and the full vegetarian the next, both really good but the best in my opinion is the vegetarian. The hosts are very friendly and helpful, the only negative is that some of the grouting needs cleaning, would I stay again most definitely

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cheffee9491
CherryGarth, Owner at Cherry Garth, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Thank you for your review; we're glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Given to us as a gift, we stayed here for one night. The location is great, easy walking to The waterhead and Ambleside, with lots of great eateries nearby, including The Log Cabin restaurant opposite. We are used to 4/5 star hotels, usually staying in The Waterhead or Lakeside, yet we found the Cherry Garth welcoming. The room was very clean, decor was good and our room overlooked the hills. On entering the room it was cold, but quickly resolved by the host with a fan heater and within the hour the heating came on. There was an abundance of hot water, great shower, jacuzzi bath. Unfortunately our four poster squeezed, as it was a cheap imitation, but comfy enough all the same, and you could hear the movements above, however I disagree with previous reviews as it was a pleasant stay with a warm welcome. The breakfast was good. I would recommend to friends but agree it may be a little pricey compared to others of the same standard, get a deal !!!

Room Tip: I would choose a deluxe, high floor, not four poster
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed here Friday 25/10- 27/10/13 and was given room 12 a "superior" room with a so called 4 poster bed. If you could call it that!! The bed was cheap and the so called quilt was extremely thin considering when we complained about the coldness of this room we were told that this was one of the coldest rooms in the guest house. When we mentioned about the coldness of the room one of the owners came in and basically told my husband that he had turned the radiator off!! He has carried out the plumbing work throughout our house so he knew what he was on about. The thermostat is situated near the reception and their radiator was lovely and warm. My husband tried to explain about the thermostat and how different the temperature is the furtherest it is away from the thermostat but she replied, I've turned it up to 30 degrees but it won't be staying like that, I will be turning it down!! I don 't know how I bit my tongue. We felt insulted as if we weren't paying customers.
On entering the bathroom we noticed that the jacuzzi bath was full of marks and chippings and behind the taps there was black thick mould and some behind the washbasin taps, when you sat on the toilet the toilet seat moved. This property was not good value for money we paid £183 for 2 nights. This was part of my birthday present! so not pleased at all I am so glad that we only booked for 2 nights. This is our first time in a B+B's and going on this experience I don't think we will be staying in any-more. A Travel lodge would be better value for money!!
Ok, so now for the plus points- The breakfast was FANTASTIC!! Loads of choice and set us up for the day. The location of Cherry Garth is also fantastic just 5 mins walk to the centre of the village. I felt that the money we paid didn't go back into the business which is a shame as it could be a nice place. Pity we won't see it, if it happens!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carol D

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.

Our heating is always set at around 24-25 degrees. We turn it up to 30 to make sure radiators are working and then turn it back down again. We would all boil if it was left at 30!! The radiator in your room was turned off, as I explained. All I did was turn the dial on it and it came on. Your husband was looking at the heating on/off switch, which is located at reception, as I explained to him. If he was a plumber surely he would have known that this was not the thermostat? The radiator by Reception was not on at the time you said it was cold, as the heating had turned off, as it had obviously reached the 25 degrees of the thermostat.

You were offered a fan heater and a blanket for your room as you were cold. Both of which you declined.

I am sorry you felt your stay was not worth the money.

I do hope that you can find somewhere else in the Lake District to suit your needs so that you can still enjoy this wonderful part of the country.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Stayed at the Cherry Garth for 2 nights on a voucher which entitled us to a standard room. Due to the lack of ceiling height we paid an additional £22 per night for upgrade to a Superior Room. (Room 12)

There are some really nice aspects to this B & B.

Wonderful breakfast and service.
Pleasant proprietors who are only too wiliing to assist.
Ample Parking
Good location

However it stops there.

The room was NOT superior!
The four poster bed had no canopy or curtains and looked odd.
The jacuzzi bath had large chunks of enamel missing.
The window frames were lacking in paint and were blackened with the damp.
Cobwebs around the plugs underneath the TV and high on the window frame.

This could be such a nice place if only it was given a make over.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 12
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night and we're very happy with our stay. This family run Bed and Breakfast has a very homely and comfortable feel about it. The decore may be a little dated and tired but the room was clean and the beds comfortable. The B&B presents a great opportunity to explore Ambleside which is only a 2 minute walk and they have plenty of information on nice walks and activities in the area. I can highly recommend the walk from Ambleside to Grasmere which is gentle and scenic, a great stroll and snapshot of what the lakes have to offer. There is a good choice at breakfast and the staff are friendly, genuine and you feel that nothing is too much trouble. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We chose this place because we have a springer spaniel and needed somewhere that would allow dogs and had rooms spacious enough to fit her cage, the Cherry Garth fit the bill. The rooms are large, well appointed and comfy. The breakfast was tasty and the staff were all very friendly. In terms of location it is ideal for a stroll into the village or to the lakeside where the ferries depart for Windermere. We were able to get B & B for £75 which is very reasonable and I have yet to see it for the same price again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed in room 9 Attic room (standard room)
The room was very tired ,
The shower was a complete waste of time,
broken tiles in bathroom,
issues with towels,
when approached staff were not very helpful,
Nice Breakfast,
Great location.
Would not stay in a standard room again.

Room Tip: Stick to ground floor not a standard room that has not had a make over.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple