Stayed for one night following a return trip from Scotland and decided on a stop off in the Lakes.
- great location. Ambleside is beautiful if not a tad busy this time of year, great fish n' chips too!
- was worried about parking given the reviews on TA but all ok
- slept well
- the doggie Megan is the friendliest member of staff there
No good (and apologies this list is longer than the 'so good' but I have to be fair)
- not very welcoming. The lady who handled our check in, immediately asked what type of room we had booked as it was a double. Two guys travelling together to the Lake District, we can't be the first! I have checked in the mirror on returning home and no I definitely don't have two heads! There was no friendliness, just rules about sitting for breakfast and how to lock the door.
- trek upto the top floor to a very small, dated room.
- here's the problem, the room smelled. So bad in fact we had to buy air freshner at the local Tesco.
- tiny bathroom with a feeble shower and a mirror designed for someone no taller than 4 foot tall.
Some may call this charm.
- breakfast was a more friendly-ish affair with a young lady who was doing her best. Why we got half a black pudding was anyone's guess! Must be those two heads we're endowed with!
- wi-fi is non existent in the room we had
- check out by the same lady who checked us in. Still no warmth from the previous day! How about, 'did you sleep well and enjoy your stay?' or 'what have you got planned today, is there any advice or tips I can give you for the local area?'
I can't comment on other places in the Lakes but it is generally very touristy. Keep going to Scotland where we and you will enjoy 5* hospitality.
Sorry but hard to recommend especially at these prices. A nicer approach and de-toxifying of whatever had passed in our room would help!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Gables Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Gables Guest House Hotel Ambleside
- The Gables Guest House Ambleside, Lake District