“Not great service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Gables Guest House

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Gables Guest House
Ranked #44 of 105 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Not great service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I found the owners to be very unwelcoming. There was just a staff member to greet me on arrival, and no-one about when I left. Fortunately I had paid in advance as it was impossible to find anyone when I left. I only met the male owner (whose name I don't know because he didn't introduce himself) once, and that was by accident. The owners were conspicuous by their absence for the whole of the rest of my stay. I wanted to leave details of my hill walked planned for that day with the owner for my own safety as I would be out on my own and I take safety in the hills very responsibly. He refused to accept my walk details and responded with a sarcastic 'so, I'll have to come looking for you then' !! His reason for not accepting the walk details was that he was 'going out' that evening. He did 'advise' me to leave my walk details in my car, but I always do that as well anyway. I don't expect 24/7 service in a guest house as it isn't a hotel, but I didn't think it too much to ask to have him take a note of where I was going and when I would be back in the rare case of an emergency. I was a 'guest' after all. It can be frustrating for guest house owners to have to wait on a phone call from a guest to confirm they are back safely when some guests forget to do that, but surely that isn't too much hassle if it means that should an emergency arise, help can be summoned as quickly as possible. I was astonished by his attitude as every other guest house I've ever stayed in in the Lakes were more than happy to keep hold of my walk details, and some actively encourage it by having forms available in reception for that purpose. Fell walkers make up a significant proportion of the tourist trade in the Lakes and it seems only right that a little bit of help should be given them. It was even more astonishing since I was asked before I arrived if I could check in early on my arrival day because the owners would be out (again) on that evening. I was happy to oblige, but it seems that favours back to guests are not reciprocated. I thought it significant that there was a notice in reception saying not to disturb the management after 9 pm. except in an emergency. Here's a place that is happy to deal with their guests' requirements during 'reasonable' hours, but woe betide you if you need anything after 9 pm. I've never seen a notice like that in any other guest house I've stayed in. The place was clean, the breakfasts good, and the service by the staff was pleasant. But that's the very least I expect from a guest house for 55 quid a night for a single room with the most uncomfortable bed I've ever tried to sleep in. My advice is go there if you can't find anywhere else and you don't expect anything other than the minimum offering. Otherwise, and especially if you're fell-walking on your own, go somewhere else, as they may be a lot more friendly and helpful, and probably less sarcastic.

Room Tip: Room 9 (single room) has a very high boxed in platform (to accomodate the stairs beneath) which less...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Johninthehills
GablesGH, Owner at The Gables Guest House, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
I always find it interesting that out of the hundreds of guests we have staying every month, the majority that write reviews are always those with a gripe - gone are the days when you'd actually ask to speak to the owner/manager.

Prior to your arrival day I rang to ASK what sort of time you were arriving, not if you could check in early and yes, we did have a family members 80th birthday celebration to attend. Not an everyday occurrence and even in the hospitality trade, surely we're entitled to some down time? We are a family run business and as such, would like to spend time with our young daughter. All of the guests I've spoken to find it perfectly reasonable that we are not disturbed after 9pm but you obviously do expect 24/7 attention.

Every member of my team ("just a staff member"!!) is fully trained and more than capable of checking in guests and if we are working elsewhere in the guesthouse, they are there with a ready smile but you obviously expected more from us. I can't understand why you booked through a third party agent if you expected this level of owner contact.

As we were still clearing up after breakfast, I can find no reason why you couldn't find anyone when you checked out - all you had to do was ring the bell by the open reception door and one of the four of us here on that morning would have appeared to say goodbye. As it was, I found your key on the table in the hall on my way to finish off in the dining room.

I work very long hours every day and it would appear that you would have expected me to be sat in the conservatory waiting for you to arrive back from your day out. I have a 14 bedroomed guesthouse to keep spick and span and am also a wife and mother with my own home to look after. What do you expect from me? My husband wasn't quite sure how he was supposed to know if you had arrived back from your walk, or not, and there was no mention of you phoning upon your return which, with hindsight, would have been the easy solution. Most of our guests leave details of their walks in their rooms and vehicles.

I will look into your comments regarding the bed and hope that you find the service you are looking for elsewhere on your next visit to the Lakes.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
SALTBURN BY THE SEA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed in September for three nights. I will start with positives first. Kettle with good supply of Tea, coffee milk and biscuits.Now negatives Our bed had craters in it and was extremely uncomfortable.Breakfast lacked anything for special dietary needs and when asked if had soya milk said no And never offered to get any The chandelier needed a dust as had cobwebs hanging from it. The bathroom in general was very clean however hairs were left in the bath a small but unacceptable oversight. It is on a busy main road so we were woken up at six o clock every morning. The owner lacks any customer service skills and was infact rude. Needless to say will not be returning I'm afraid.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GablesGH, Owner at The Gables Guest House, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
We are so sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay here at The Gables, what a pity you didn't mention it whilst you were here. I think it's fair to say that our customer skills mostly reflect the attitude of the customer themselves.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed here for our 5 year anniversary weekend in Ambleside. It was a last minute decision (booked the room a week before) and they had availability. We got in touch with the owners via phone and then booked our stay online via their website, which was nice and simple. Because we were arriving late (>10pm), arrangements were made to collect our key.
The room itself was very nice, clean and tidy. We had a four poster bed (which we hadn't asked for!). The only problem with it was that the posters made it difficult for my fiancé to watch the TV without having to be on one side of the poster! But the bed was comfortable and the room temperature good. We had an en suite with shower and this was great. Very helpful that there were toiletries in the bathroom (shampoo, body wash, hand wash). There was also a kettle with tea, coffee and milk, and some biscuits. Tea and coffee making facilities are a big plus in my book! The room was cleaned every day and there were fresh towels, clean cups etc put in the room.
Breakfast was good with cereals, toast, yoghurts and a variety of drinks. You could also have a full English breakfast and this was very good when we had it. The only down side of breakfast was that it was from 08:30-09:15 but, if these times didn't agree with you, you could ask for a bacon/sausage sandwich to be made for you and the owners would put it in the fridge ready for when you wanted it! There was also a bowl with extra tea bags, coffee and milk available if you ever wanted it. There were glasses and a corkscrew that you could help yourselves to. And there was a fridge, which we put our anniversary prosecco in, and had it when we wanted it.
The B&B was very nice and we would definitely stay here again. The little things really make a difference (being able to order breakfast, having somewhere to store your prosecco, free passes to the Langdale Day Spa etc) and this B&B does it very well. The people who run it seemed very nice when we spoke with them. Knowledgeable and friendly.
Fantastic location as well! In the heart of Ambleside.

Room Tip: We had the four poster bed room and this has nice views over the bowling green and of St. Mary's...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Very many thanks for your lovely review and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Gables in the not too distant future.
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

We arrived at the Gables at the end of day 1 of a coast to coast cycle ride. We were given the cellar to store our bikes in - probably the most secure cycle parking of the week and easy enough to carry the bikes down the straight staircase. Possibly not advisable for tandems though!
A modern, clean and comfortable room with a good sized bathroom with bath and shower. Some fun individual touches like the multicoloured chandelier. Shower gel, shampoo and hand wash were all provided, the shower itself sufficiently powerful and easy to adjust.
Pleasant guest lounge at the front of the building and free wifi throughout. The Gables is on the edge of Ambleside so off the main thouroughfares. However, our travelling companions who had a ground floor room were woken by the glass recycling being collected early in the morning outside their window.
Excellent breakfast and the only B&B on our trip that didn't require a pre-order. Wide selection of cereals, very nice English breakfast with the best Black Pudding of the Week.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Matt B
Thank you for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again sometime in the future.
cumbria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Brilliant, stayed for 1 night, booked the deluxe double, was excellent, very clean and modern. The breakfast was fantastic as was the service. Central position for all the local amenities right next to the park, will definately be staying again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GablesGH, Owner at The Gables Guest House, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Gables in the future.
Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed here for two nights with my wife and another couple. Our room had a nice view over the recreation grounds next to the church in Ambleside. The Gables is tucked away in a spot where you won't get noisy passers by at night but has the benefit of being in the centre, a minutes stagger from shops and restaurants. Our rooms were clean and well presented. My only gripe was that the toilet flush was a noisy shredder affair. My friends only gripe was that the corner post of their four poster bed was in the way of the telly when he laid down!
The car park was fairly small but I was always able to find a spot.
Don't forget that you get free passes to Langdale hotel spa which looks really good but we didn't have time to go.
I would have probably given this five stars had this been the only B and B I had stayed in but that would mean that it was as good as the only other one I have reviewed which was in Grassington (Grasssington lodge), and could not be faulted. Still I would happily stay here if I visit Ambleside again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your review and we are so pleased that you enjoyed you stay with us. I appreciate that the your shredder toilet (the only one in the house) is a rather noisy affair but that I'm afraid that is the nature of the beast and we do plan to rearrange the layout of your friends room to enable better viewing of the TV when things quieten down. Hopefully we'll see you again in he not too distant future and you can make use of the Langdale Spa passes during your visit.
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Nice place, rooms fresh and clean, breakfast cooked to order, a little lounge area. Not much parking. Friendly in-house dog. Totally fine. The stairs a bit steep but not too bad, the room standard size. Nothing over the top but nothing that puts you off either.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Annelie D
Thank you for your review and we are glad that you enjoyed your short break with your friends.