“Fabulous - will definitely return!”

and 1 more site!
Ambleside American-style Compston House B&B
Ranked #11 of 102 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2011

From the moment I received a call from Sue & Jerry the day before my friend and I arrived, I knew this was going to be a good stay. They called to find out what time we'd be arriving and to offer assistance with buses/taxis etc so that we got there safely.

Sue and Jerry are the warmest and friendliest couple I've met in a long time and Compston House is a great little B&B.

The rooms are spotless with TV/Clock Radio/Hairdryer/Refreshment tray, the beds are comfortable and are decorated in their own particular way - we stayed in the New York room and I'm surprised how much I learned just from the pictures and the reference books!!!

Sue and Jerry's piece de resistance has to be those fabulous American breakfasts - I couldn't believe how accommodating they were - anything you wanted within reason. The food is all locally sourced and really tasty and Sue's own recipe pancakes with maple syrup to die for!! And on Sunday's home made blueberry muffins as well.

Rather than a guest you feel like family and they want everything to be just right for you - including that little bowl of welcome choccies at the top of the stairs.

My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I really look forward to coming back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 July 2011

Sue and Jerry are fabulous hosts, they gave me the impression that nothing was too much trouble, they made us feel very welcome and relaxed, and they made a real effort to get to know their guests. A lovely touch was the free chocolates at the top of the stairs, which each day were replenished, as I chocolate addict that made me very happy.
As for the breakfast, wow! freshly made american pancakes each day and blueberry muffins on a Sunday, what more could you ask for!
Would definitely recommend to all my friends and very much look forward to visiting them again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Really enjoyed our three day stay at Compston House. The breakfasts were excellent, everywhere was spotless and Sue & Jerry were very friendly hosts and went out of their way to make you feel welcome. Will certainly be back and will recommend this to our family and friends.

Room Tip: Maine - very good room at front with good views
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We have just returned from a four day break at Compston House. Sue and Jerry's genuine friendly welcome set the tone for a fabulous stay. Breakfasts were superb - from the yogurt and fresh fruit to the high quality local bacon and sausage and the mouthwatering homemade pancakes. An extra treat on Sunday was the warm home made blueberry muffins. If you are a foodie this is the place to stay. An extra treat was the dish of celebration chocolates placed on the landing that were topped up every day. We would definately recommend Compston House and will return ourselves in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Hawaii room which had great views
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sheilakingsland
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We booked a weekend away at the last minute and we were lucky enough to have the last room available at the Compston House. Sue & Jerry are great hosts and they work very hard to ensure your stay is a pleasant one.

The full English or American breakfast is a must and the home cooked muffins on a Sunday morning are a great treat.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2011

spotlessly clean; superb breakfast with ANY choice of items. Jerry and Sue were outstanding hosts.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Very welcoming, exceptionally clean, fantastic breakfasts. All round high rating. Very nice hosts.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple