and 1 more site!
Ambleside American-style Compston House B&B
Ranked #11 of 103 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 February 2013

We enjoyed our stay very much and we will go back again. The B&B is very clean, comfortable, and we felt very much at home there. Sue and Jerry are great hosts, very welcoming and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The breakfasts are the best!! You can go walking from the doorstep without having to take the car out and there are many nice restaurants within walking distance so again no need to drive if you fancy a glass of wine or two. If you want to go out in the car you are centrally located to easily reach the whole of the Lake District. Great location and Great B&B!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 February 2013

We booked Compston House because of the reviews we read on this site (mainly about the breakfast!!) and even though we went with the highest expectations we were still extremely impressed with the welcome, cleanliness, facilities and, of course, the amazing breakfast!!
The full American breakfast was simply delicious and the yoghurt with fruit was fresh and plentiful.
Sue and Jerry made us feel really at home and the loan of an umbrella was very much appreciated as we had left ours at home (for a weekend n the lakes in February you really need an umbrella!!)
We will definitey be staying here again!!

Room Tip: The superior double (Maine) was very spacious with a view of the park. The superior rooms also come...
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We've holidayed in Ambleside for many years but always stayed in self catering accommodation, so staying in a B&B for a few days was first for us. We chose Compton House because of its location and guest reviews and we weren't disappointed. The owners Sue & Jerry are friendly and very welcoming, the house is spotlessly clean, warm and comfortable and the breakfast is wonderful, eat as much or as little as you want, providing you can convice Jerry that you wont fade away if you only eat three pancakes!!!. Compston House will definately be our choice for short breaks in the future.

Reviewed 9 February 2013

We only stayed for one night as we only found compston house on our final night in the lakes district but what a lovely find! Sue and Jerry are overly welcoming and give you all the information and restaurant recommendations you need. The place is spotlessly clean and the breakfast is exactly what you need to set you up for a day in the lakes. Would deffinatly recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 5 February 2013

This was our first stay at Compston House and will definitely not be our last. We spent two nights in the New York room, which had all the amenities we needed: tea and coffee facilities, TV, comfy bed and a hot shower. Sue and Jerry were excellent hosts, they couldn't have been more welcoming, and the breakfast is by far the best I've had in any B&B. The food is made to order using local ingredients. You can have anything from cereal, to a full English or American breakfast, and the pancakes are delicious... you won't leave hungry. All in all it was a great stay, I would recommend this B&B to anyone visiting Ambleside!

Reviewed 5 February 2013

I first stayed at Compston house out of luck as I needed a b&b short notice and they had rooms, since then I have returned on numerous occasions as it is the most welcoming friendliest place I have ever had the pleasure of staying at. Even at times when I have been a local to the area I have to admit I have still stayed there! Breakfast is incredible and I'm not one for eating breakfast but the pancakes are fantastic and you are well looked after i have constantly been asked if i have enough as i don't require a large portion personally. Sue and jerry never fail to make me feel comfortable and at home when I stay at the Compston house, when I watch channel 4s 'four in a bed' I can never help but think how much better the service is at Compston house and how Sue and Jerry should participate. I enjoy to stay at hotels a frequently check into places around the UK compston house is easily my favourite place to stay would always choose it above luxurious hotels as you will never receive such friendly service in other places.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Me and my boyfriend like to go on weekends away. When he told me we where going to an American styled b and b, I was like oh dear sounds a bit tacky. When arriving I was shocked at how classy it really was. We where greeted with a lovely warm welcome... Are room was really clean. We are a bit fussy and could not fined a fault. Breakfast was "perfect" I would say the best Iv had just a bit upset with myself I couldn't eat it all. Got to try the pancakes and muffins... I have travelled the world and this is truly the best.. Would love to stay more than one night. Can not wait to go back.. Thank you for a lovely stay..,

• Stayed: February 2013