“Had a great stay breakfast the best room comfortable & spotless”

Ambleside American-style Compston House B&B
Ranked #10 of 103 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 February 2011

We were made very welcome every where is very clean and Sue &Jerry make your stay wonderful nothing is to much trouble.We are looking forward to our next stay.We would reconmend an evening at the cinema and a meal in Zefferelis after although vegi the food is delisious you dont miss the msat.Also we had a meal at the indian resturant and again would reconmend it.Altogether a lovely break even though we had some rain.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ambleside American-style Compston House B&B

Reviewed 30 January 2011

This lovely B&B is in a great location, with parking a couple of minutes walk away, and all the local amenities in walking distance. The room we stayed in - Wyoming - was small, but clean, warm and very comfy, with plenty of character - we particularly liked the bear mirror, and we'd love to know where we could get one!
The most unique feature of Compston House, however, is its fantastic owners Jerry and Sue - they are friendly, welcoming, helpful and just a pleasure to be around - and thier breakfasts are legendary - I would particularly recommend the eggy bread and syrup, whereas my partner said the pancakes were the best he'd ever tasted.
We had a lovely stay, and will be returning again in the not too distant future!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2011

When I was choosing a hotel for my boyfriend and I to stay at on New Years Eve, I narrowed it down to 3 in Ambleside. Each had their selling points, price, location etc. Compston house was in the middle price range of those and looked nice enough, but I have to admit, I was wary of its American theme at first, I thought to myself 'we do love an American breakfast (kind of one of our special things to do together) but will it be too weird being in an American theme hotel rather than a traditional Lakes b&b'. So I took a chance on Compston House. I needn't have worried! The room was clean, comfortable and warm, and the breakfast was amazing! It didn't feel out of place in the Lake District at all! The only very slight 'criticism' as that the bathroom was a bit small and the shower wasn't very powerful, but hey, it is just an en suite! It was clean and it did the job just fine.
Breakfast was amazing, bacon and sausage from local butchers etc and they're also very flexible on what combinations you can have. We opted for the Full American of course and weren't disappointed. And before that, they even fill you up with cereals, fruit, yoghurt, anything you want really. Sue cooks a NICE pancake!
Its a short walk to/from Windermere lake which made for a lovely New Years post midnight walk. Its also a great base for walking in general, we did an 8.5 mile route from Ambleside, around Rydal and Grasmere then back. This route was recommended by Sue and proved to be a good recommendation.
Overall, I had a very memorable 2 day new years trip and Compston House played a big part in that.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2010

I'd heard about this hotel from a co-worker and had also stumbled across it on the web. I'm always wary of reviews as there are seldon any "yeh, it's OK" reviews - they're either everything was better than you can imagine or don't touch it with a barge pole! Well I can now understand why Compston House has loads of excellent reviews. We had a wonderful three days in Ambleside and Sue and Jerry are perfect hosts personified; if you want to find out about American hospitality without crossing the pond ... stay here.

If I was to be hyper-critical - the home cured bacon may not be to everybody's taste as it is quite strong; also breakfast potatoes might have been nice instead of hash browns on one of the days. But that is being very picky. The bedrooms are wonderful but not necessarily huge - but that is a function of the building, not the hosts; the rooms are big enough unless you're going to spend all your time in there.

We'll be staying again sometime - hopefully sooner rather than later.

Reviewed 25 November 2010

Having read all the advertising blurb and looking forward to a few short days in the Lake District I resolved to try Compston House for myself. what a wonderful place even better than what was claimed or the many excellent reviews.

We were met on arrival by the Jerry half of the duo, Sue we would meet later, and he was helpful beyond belief even down to supplying free parking discs. It was obvious from first entering that Sue and Jerry's "Little bit of America" was wonderfully run and nothing was a problem to them.

We were in the Arizona en suite room, their rooms are dedicated to various states in the US of A. It was sparkling clean, fresh smelling, cosy, warm and a welcome pack at the ready as well as a book about Arizona what a wonderful touch. TV was good and working and there was a plentiful supply of coffee tea sugar etc. Slept very well. we were to discover that their overall standards of cleanliness and finishing are very high for which they deserve every complement. even better either Sue or Jerry were always about to offer assistance or guidance.

Breakfast will never be forgotten. Now I can eat and love breakfast when on holiday. Fruit juice awaits when you sit down and very quickly Jerry in charge of the dining room , Sue is in charge of the kitchen, is at your side with a wonderful selection of goodies. I opted for the full american cooked breakfast and what a plate. Scrambled eggs, my choice, crisp bacon, sausage,has browns and a pile of large freshly cooked pancakes with a jug of maple syrup. Accompanied by freshly made coffee, altogether an experience in itself. Now just when you think you have managed to polish all of your food off up pops Jerry as if by magic to ask "Would you like some more?" There can be no complaints about this standard of service and there is no need to eat the rest of the day anyone going away hungry must be delusional.

Sue and Jerry have truly created a Little Bit of their native America deep in the heart of Ambleside and if you are thinking about visiting don't think just do it.

Reviewed 23 November 2010

We were made to feel very welcome from the moment we arrived by Sue and Jerry who moved to Ambleside from New York. We were upgraded to the Texas room which was decorated with a wallpaper border of white stallions a stetson and various other american nik naks. We usually wouldn't stay at a theme hotel or B&B but this one wasn't tacky at all. There was free wifi and a nice little touch was a bowl of sweets on the dresser as you went upstairs. The bed was really comfy and kingsize which was great for my Husband as he is over 6ft tall. The ensuite was nice and toiletries were eco-friendly The tea tray in the room had a nice selection of teas and cookies. Breakfast was anything you wanted, Jerry couldn't do enough for you, nothing was too much trouble. The pancakes were amazing. All in all a very pleasant stay right in the centre of Ambleside. Parking was not an issue as they provide you with a free permit.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Compston House came recommended from the new Lonely Planet guide, and my American Girlfriend insisted on staying at this Americana themed B&B from the write up it was given there. We were not disappointed. Right from our arrival the owners were so friendly and keen to please and make us feel welcome. Our room was their largest apparently (Florida Room) and so bright and spacious and spotless.

The breakfast was amazing and I wasn't left wanting for anything, I'd reccomend this lovely place to anybody.