“Good place to stay”
Review of Ambleside Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ambleside
Ambleside Lodge
Ranked #98 of 102 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Big comfy bed in a big comfy room. Nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. Radiator dried our hiking clothing which was useful! Staff friendly and helpful without being intrusive. Breakfast good. Plenty of parking and well placed to wander into town. In fact exactly what you need from a B&B in The Lake District.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Comfortable stay in very spacious accommodation with plentiful parking - just a few mins walk from town centre. Breakfast lovely and a rel find at the affordable price. We will be back to stay again. I wasn't expecting much. After reading some of bad reviews but they are poor reflection of reality.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I can't speak for the service that my mum and dad got, as, when my mum called the hotel repeatedly for over a week, emailed and left messages, she was ignored until, finally, she managed to speak to them one Saturday (by the time she managed ton speak to them it was late Sept/early Oct) to book a weekend break for her and my dad. My sister, thoughtfully, had arranged this for their anniversary through KGB deals.

My mum was told that she was not permitted to stay on weekends (although this was not listed in the small print on the voucher) and although there were rooms showing as free online throughout the week throughout October and well into November, she was told that these were not the 'KGB rooms' and even though the voucher stipulated it was valid for a room worth 'up to £270' - she was not able to use this to book any of them. My mum was then told if she paid another £130+ she could have a 'twin room' for her and my dad!! A case of blatant mis-selling!!

After we all sat and read the reviews on trip advisor, I am just thankful my mum and dad never got to visit Ambleside Lodge. I was present when my mum was being spoken to on the phone by staff at the hotel and am shocked at how rude and beyond unhelpful they are! My sister is trying to sort something out through KGB deals but I just hope that, no matter what happens, this terrible hotel will not see a penny of my sister's hard earned money.

10  Thank JenniWren87
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Ambleside Lodge. We stayed on a KGB Deal - 2 people, 2 nights, B&B, £99.00. For the money, it was good value. I wouldn't have wanted to pay the full hotel rate though.

The Lodge is set back from the main road as you head into Ambleside, about a 5 minute walk to the vilage centre. Good location. There is ample parking space.

When we arrived, we were met by Paul who I had read a lot about on reviews before I booked. He was very friendly. But that was the one and only time we saw him all weekend. An older couple (parents possibly?) seemed to run the B&B when we were there and the lady seemed a little miffed on our last morning when my partner asked her for more milk for our room as we had run out. Certainly the lady seemed less friendly at breakfast as a result!

The property is a large detached property and the communal areas are spacious if old fashioned. The property is very dark and not helped by the fact the lights are very dim. In fact the lighting throughout the building was poor, even in our room.

Our room (number 7) was large, with a comfy 4 poster bed. It was a little old fashioned but was perfectly serviceable. It had a private outlook and soem seating.

The bathroom was tired and in need of an update although the water was piping hot, which cant be said for a lot of hotels. The drains smelt a little in the bathroom.

Breakfast was satisfactory although most of it was served to you, with a limited self serve option. But the portions were good and the food tasty.

Use of the nearby spa and leisure facilities at the Salutation hotel was a definite plus point. We enjoyed our visit there.

1  Thank MD-FatDonkey
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed in room 16, firstly ee thougjt it was a pet friendly room as it smelt of damp dogs, the room was that damp, the bedding and toilet paper was wet, and the smell was awful, spoke to owner and he done nothing, have since wrote a letter, and been ignored.

Room Tip: If you stay here, request NOT to stay in room 16, I since came home with a chest infection.
9  Thank Samantha G
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Last stayed at the Ambleside in 2005 and when a deal came up on Kgb deals we decided to book a couple of nights to celebrate my 70th birthday. We then decided to extend the stay for a further one night which Paul the owner was only too pleased to fix up. The car park remains the same but the outside paintwork was in poor condition as was the entrance hall. Paul met us at the reception and took us to our room (14). Upon stepping into the room he asked for the £50 extra charge which we paid rather reluctantly. Usually all bills are settled at the end of the stay. We had booked a four poster with jacuzzi bath. No hand towels were in the room as apparently they were not delivered-given a day later. The rubbish bin had not been emptied and the previous occupants rubbish was still in the bin-not a good start. In fact the bin was only emptied once during our three day stay.
The shower was either burning hot or very cold. Instructions to run the jacuzzi were vague. There was no information available as to other things on offer in Ambleside, no instructions in the event of a fire, no breakfast menu was available so a decison had to be made on the spot. The breakfast was average to say the least with grapefruit or tinned pineapple chunks as a fresh fruit offer. Why couldn't there have been a bit of imagination with a fruit salad or similar as there are many good fruit shops in the town. The toast came long before the tea!!f
The good points are that the room and bed are extremely clean and tidy apart from the bin not being emptied. Paul did point out the best and worse places to eat/avoid in Ambleside and indeed recommended Matthews Bistro where we enjoyed two marvellous meals.Within easy reach of the towncentre and good off road parking.
It does seem to ask the staff-mother and father, to manage a b/b of 19 rooms without help. Place badly needs some tlc and certainly nothing like its website paints
We would expect that during this economic climate that value for money is the first priority and this is not apparent at the Ambleside Lodge and the owners are missing a trick when so many people have taken advantage of the kbb offer. How many will be back I wonder. Not this person.

Room Tip: Read some reviews before booking.
4  Thank digitraisedwhenasked
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Just returned from a two night stay at Ambleside Lodge. We had an enjoyable stay. The room was large, clean and comfortable, just what you need after a day walking in the hills.

When we arrived we had to ring for someone to book us in, within 5 minutes a very friendly lady confirmed our booking and showed us to our room.

The breakfast was good and filling, there is no dining facilities for evening meals, however Ambleside lodge is within walking distance of the town centre where you will be able to find a place to eat whatever your tastes. There is a list of places to eat in a folder containing essential information, which was on the dresser in our room.

The décor could do with some brightening up, but as we were there to enjoy the countryside that the lake district has to offer we were more than happy with the welcome and hospitality we received.

On returning home my husband could not find his adapter for his camera, he telephoned Ambleside Lodge to see if it had been found. They went down to the room to check straightaway, they couldn't have been more helpful.

We certainly will look at returning if we stay in Ambleside again in the future.