“Nice guesthouse, good location, but lacking atmosphere...”

West Vale Country House
Ranked #31 of 103 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Braunschweig, Germany
“Nice guesthouse, good location, but lacking atmosphere...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

A very nice house in a good location to explore lake Windermere. Rooms are good size and very clean. Bed was not very comfortable. Good breakfast served on polished plates. Atmosphere could be improved by reducing number of signs, telling you what to do and what not to do. We felt a bit like staying in a museum ....

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank tetikus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

We had a three night break in June and were very reluctant to leave. A warm welcome,a beautiful home in a stunning setting.Lovely hosts very helpful and friendly.We hope to return soon.Many thanks Caron and Paul

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

We stayed for 7 nights and had a wonderful time, we would recommend West Vale to anyone. The location is actually pretty perfect in our view as it's no more than 20 minutes' drive to Ambleside and it's a pretty central base to explore most of the Lakes.

The house is beautiful and obviously really cared for, Glynn and Dee take great pride in laying out a perfect buffet table for breakfast and ensuring your cooked dish is just as you like it. We are vegetarians (or fisharians I suppose!) which some people can groan at, but they were more than happy to cook breakfast just as we like it.

The bathroom was exquisite and our room modern yet old-worldy in one, a lovely simple four poster room but so comfortable and cosy and very romantic. We loved the Lakes, loved our hotel room and loved dining out in Ambleside.

We would love to return and a great big thank you for making our first holiday together the trip of a lifetime.

We hope to see you again

Habib and Lisa

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa H
Cleckheaton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

We went to West Vale in December and returned in May 2012 for my birthday. We had a fabulous weekend each time. This is a very high quality establishment. The decor, furnishing, welcome and setting are all first rate. Ensuite facilities are immaculate and bedrooms are beautifully co-ordinted, as are the dining room and lounge (complete with log fire in winter). Breakfasts are locally sourced and there is a yummy buffet too each day. Can't recommend it more highly.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

What an amazing experience and what a greatvfind! A beautiful home in a beautiful setting. The hosts were friendly and helpful - as with everything else, above and beyond that which we expected. The breakfast was superb. Although oldy worldy in appearance the home has been completely renovated and offers high quality ensuite accommodation that is truly 5 star.

As visitors from Australia we thoroughly enjoyed both the area and the time we spent in this beautiful home. Highly recommended!

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

My expectations of this lovely, cosy country guest house were high - the pictures looked very inviting - but my expectations were far exceeded. Here's why.

First, Glynn and Dee, the lovely, smiley couple who run the place, are two of the kindest people one could meet. Examples: I was driving (like a maniac) from London to the Lakes on a Thursday after work. I had informed G&D already that I would be arriving around midnight - at about 16:00, I received a text asking if I should like a platter ready in my room to eat when I arrive, as I would probably be hungry - how considerate of them! Glynn was kindly waiting up for me when I arrived (just 10 minutes before midnight) and helped me check in very quickly, so I could settle into bed.

Another example of the welcome I received: I had climbed Scafell Pike during my trip. The following morning, I had a lovely, lovely breakfast (more later) and headed back to my room for a short nap. Dee knocked gently on my door at about 11am to ask if I was feeling ok, as I had been telling her about my sore feet at breakfast! This kind of welcome cannot be bought - it was a pleasure to stay in the company of this lovely couple.

All three nights I stayed, I slept very well in the incredibly comfortable bed. The room was so tastefully decorated - as was the rest of the house. I'm not sure why this was so surprising to me - perhaps I had subconsciously expected an Old-England style, but what I got was a beautifully welcoming, exquisitely tasteful, wonderfully comforting home away from home. Breakfast was sublime. Served on beautiful dinnerware, in a dining room that was, again, beautifully decorated and so bright, I had an English breakfast, cooked to perfection, with tea served in a proper little pot, and a naughty but divine lemon posset topped with a blueberry!

I may sound as if I'm embellishing, but I kid you not - this warm, welcoming, simply perfect house, sitting away from towns in the middle of the countryside, is exactly the place I will a) happily revisit whenever I'm up in the Lakes, and b) recommend to anyone without hesitation. In fact, I would urge anyone not to miss it.

Room Tip: Good room? You're spoilt for choice. I had room 2 which was just lovely, with a 4 poster bed in...