“Great meal in a cozy setting”

The Drunken Duck Inn
Ranked #43 of 128 Restaurants in Ambleside
Price range: US$0 - US$82
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful dinner with great service. The wine selection was well done, and my husband enjoyed the ales. Service was top notch, and the restaurant was very cozy and homey. Great meal, and the cost was reasonbale as well. I will note that the road to get there was scary - dark and twisty on the "wrong" side left me happy to have a drink when we arrived!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,396)

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Myself and my wife celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary here on Sunday night. The character of the restaurant is wonderful, a good sized bar greets you with an excellent selection of local cask ales as well as good selection of wines by the glass. The service was both friendly and helpful.
IMy wife had the kipper scotch egg to start and I the venison terrine both of which were full flavoured and enjoyable. However the main course was exceptional! We had the full duck shared between the two of us. Moist and full of flavour; the leg meat particularly melted in the mouth with so many underlying flavours.
We were that full we could not face a dessert!! We will definitely be going again!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Enjoyed a good lunch at the Duck. Two of our group had the ploughman's lunch, which came with LOTS of cheese, 2 large home-made bread rolls, home-made pickle, apple etc. Good value! Only issue was that we had to sit outside as the bar area was full and we had 2 large dogs with us.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Lots of rave reviews about this inn, so visited on a Saturday lunchtime. Nice location and typical Lakeland pub, so we were looking forward to a pleasant afternoon. My food OK but nothing special and certainly not worth the amount paid. My wife's meal arrived very burnt on the bottom and was inedible, so she asked for it to be replaced. She was told it would take 4 minutes, but after 15 minutes it still hadn't arrived, by which time I had finished my meal and our drinks. So, we decided that rather than wait any longer, we would leave. Although not charged for the burnt offering, no other compensation was offered for a ruined lunchtime and only an offhand apology given. Not impressed!!

Reviewed 19 October 2013

We are regular visitors to the Lake District and a must when visiting the area is a visit to The Drunken Duck.
As ever the food was very good and the atmosphere relaxed and welcoming, however I was disappointed to hear a conversation at the bar between bar staff and a "local" who it seems are entitled to reduction on the advertised prices because by virtue "they were local".
Forgive me but if the business success is predominately based on the visiting tourist pound why should those of us who are not local subsidise those who are and how does this make your "tourist" customers feel, if like me, little better than a cash cow who is easily exploited.
Please Drunken Duck play fair or at the very least advise your staff to be more discreet.