“Stunning setting, great food”

The Drunken Duck Inn
Ranked #35 of 122 Restaurants in Ambleside
Price range: US$0 - US$82
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Aperitifs outside overlooking the rolling hills was a perfect way to start a first rate dinner. The interior is nice and cosy, with a fun atmosphere in the bar. The food was excellent through all three courses, including a kipper scotch egg. A cut above anything in the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,330)

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We went with American friends who were so impressed with the place they bought one of their t shirts. The food was amazing, you were informed where it was sourced, choice was great, presentation fab, it tasted fresh and homemade, best chips I've ever had, great choice of beers, great ambience, friendly staff, great buzz about the place. Loved it.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Popped in for a drink after walking around Tarn Hows. We sat outside across the road and enjoyed the view over the hills and the mountains. The drinks were not cheap but the view made up for it.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We recently visited Ambleside for six days and this place was so good we visited twice. The food is amazing. We particularly recommend the kipper scotch egg, tomato and white bean soup (starters), lamb (main course) and my husband loved the salted caramel/ice cream dessert (looked good - I was too full). I imagine loads more winners on the menu too but we didn't get chance to go back again. Great place, amazing food - you must visit if you get chance

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Driving en route to the famous Tarn Hows on a rainy afternoon we came across a sign to The Drunken Duck Inn, and were delighted by what we found. The decor is elegantly done, and the food and beer is excellent!

I had a Ploughman's and it was one of the nicest I have ever had. Two hot freshly baked brown rolls, tomatoes on the vine, home made piccalilli and chutney, celery sticks and a good cheddar cheese arranged beautifully on a board with a shiny apple. I was relieved not to be swamped by huge pickled onions and I loved the fresh radishes :-)

There was a great array of beers, and the whole bar had fresh hops flowers hanging from the ceiling. The great innovation was the BEER BAT - a wooden bat with three holes into which three one third of a pint glasses fitted, so that one could sample some of the range. I enjoyed a local Pale Ale, a rich dark Stout and a Bitter.