“How is Lucy's not #1???”
Review of Lucy's on a plate

Lucy's on a plate
Ranked #17 of 120 Restaurants in Ambleside
Price range: US$13 - US$39
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Description: OPENING HOURS MONDAY TO FRIDAY FROM 5PM LAST ORDERS 9.30PM SATURDAY AND SUNDAY FROM 11AM EVENING MENU FROM 5PM LAST ORDERS 9.30PM Lucy's on a plate has been operational now for over 25 years and offers a unique and quirky dining experience - everchanging but the ethos remaining the same - catering for a variety of different palates - especially popular for the range of gluten free dishes and delicious desserts ... over 30 desserts made on the premises from Borrowdale Sticky Banana Pudding through to Apple and Almond Eve's Pudding as well as innovative and inventive temptations such as Toffee Vodka Cheesecake and Sorbet Sparklers. Ensure you book for the evening menu and you could find yourself mentioned in dispatches-great for birthdays and special occasions - there's a lovely large table for bigger groups (up to 16) and special celebrations are most welcome. Exclusive use with bespoke menus for weddings and suchlike is also a possibility and parties are managed expertly, without destroying the romantic ambience in other parts of the restaurant. The menu is typed daily with a wide range of meat, fish and vegetarian dishes(gluten free again marked clearly on the menus)! Join us for Brunch and Lunch ON SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS at Lucy's from 11am MONDAY TO FRIDAY Lucy's on a plate opens from 5pm with last orders at 9.30pm (Just Desserts up until 10.30pm). Lucy's chooses local produce to cook in a global fashion. Lucy's is NOT a fast food restaurant, but allows you to enjoy the company of friends, family, loved ones or simply relish the pleasure of being on your own. Dine or drink ... or pop in for your Just Desserts ... you decide, we'll provide. Lucy's is a place that once you've discovered - you'll never forget. PLEASE NOTE THAT LUCY'S IS NOT OPEN FOR LUNCH DURING THE WEEK (Monday to Friday) But Lucy's is open for Brunch, Lunch and Afternoon Teas from 11am Saturday and Sunday - evening menu commencing at 5pm. Christmas and New Year - Open (Booking essential) Pre-booked Lunch Parties of 12 or more can be accommodated on request during the week.
Derby, United Kingdom
“How is Lucy's not #1???”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I don't understand how Lucy's is only 29 out of Ambleside's restaurants, I cannot rate this restaurant highly enough!!!

When I booked the table, after a recommendation from a friend who's been (and returns) many times, Lucy inquired as to the reason for my visit, I thought she was just being polite but when I arrived I understood why. The menu each day is different with a little intro at the top introducing anyone visiting or celebrating a special occasion. You instantly feel welcome and are addressed by name by friendly and attentive staff, including Lucy herself.

We were shown to our table and our orders were taken. We sampled a couple of the "fizzy" cocktails, which were both delicious, and had starters of the Haloumi skewers and Pork belly, both of which were just the right size. For mains we had the Seabass and a Rib Eye steak which was cooked to perfection, it was a really decent cut of meat, it literally melted in my mouth like butter!!! We thought puddings would be stretching it but when we saw the (two page!) menu we just had to indulge. Luckily Lucy's has the foresight to offer takeaways, which we went for, whilst ordering another one to share as it was just too difficult to choose! The menu is clearly labelled for nut and gluten allergies offering up a number of gluten free options and/or alternatives (without sacrificing taste!)

The service was a little slow on occasions but the restaurant was busy so it was to be expected and each member of staff we dealt with was as polite, helpful and friendly as you could ask for. The atmosphere is warm and relaxed and we weren't surprised to have spent as long as did in there. Lucy clearly cares very deeply about the service she provides and how she provides it and the masterminds behind the food clearly have a passion for what they do. I can't recommend Lucy's enough, even if you just have a pudding!!!

• Visited September 2013
Lucyonaplate, Guest Relations Manager at Lucy's on a plate, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Ah Kerri ... what a love you are ... thank you for voting us your No 1 ... but actually I'm not unhappy that people have to come and seek us out and make an opinion of what we are ... we won't suit everyone and if we were No 1 then the expectations we'd have to deliver would be immense and I suffer enough stress already without the added burden of being at the top! Added to which ... where would we go once we got there? But I am thrilled that you think it's where we should be and that's all that matters to me. You're right ... at times we are busy and my team run round and for the most part they are brilliant ... but at time customers needs outweigh those who can attend to them and whilst we are a commercial kitchen - we can't snap our fingers and deliver 40 meals all at the same time (I do think the chefs are miracle workers though, with what they do produce - we don't use microwaves and we're not fast food ... we simply serve fresh food as fast as we can - it might be possible to cook a steak in 5 minutes (as one guest told me in a 'I'm not a chef, but I can cook like one' kind of way! ... but what about resting it? what about the garnish? what about the other 50 or so people waiting for their meals too! What about having a drink and enjoying a good old chat with the people you're dining with!) You've put up a lovely review and I couldn't ask for more ... except to say I am really looking forward to you visiting us again before too long and I shall make sure all the team see the nice things you've said about everything - thank you xx

London, United Kingdom
“Shame it doesn't deliver what promises”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Mixed feelings about this place: good portions and good dessert, but we were not impressed by garlic bread, wine and rather raw rice. Shame because it promised well, but I had the feeling that it's a popular place that is resting on its laurels. Service was decent, but staff was running around far too much (stumling on a noisy floor) and I felt we were in their way in their workplace...more efforts could be made to please customers with better food, service and atmosphere (the music was barely audible).

2 Thank LUCA M
Hi Luca ... shame, it's my absolute favourite place in Italy (Lucca that is) but your review has given me rather mixed feelings too. I am really sorry that we didn't hit the spot - although I'm not sure what it is that makes you complain about us (only 1 review overall always gives me the heebie geebies about authenticity anyway) ... you state that we serve good portions with good desserts ... I am not sure what the complaint is with regard to the wine or garlic bread so can't really make a comment except that we do keep a nice wine list - not extensive, nor expensive - but with some nice slightly unusual and interesting bottles (although in my opinion the only good bottle of wine is an empty one) ... raw rice - I don't believe that to be accurate - al dente yes and had you mentioned it at the time we could have exchanged it for you. The staff are busy - they do move quite quickly - but noisy shoes - most definitely not - trust me it's one of the criteria's of working here - soft bottomed shoes and preferably trainers - they're on their feet (as am I) from morning to night on a wooden floor - it's an impossibility - however, I am on the look out for the baby elephant. Goodness - we go out of our way to please customers - but we do at times feel that they should be left to their own devices with regard to conversation (hence the desire not to make the restaurant sound like a disco ... I love Michael Buble and Frank ... but I don't want him to overpower what I have to say when I'm dining out with someone special - only if I've run out of conversation ... which to be honest isn't often!) Anyway, whilst I'm sorry that you didn't feel that Lucy's was the place for you, I think that you are very wrong about the 'Laurels' thing ... there's a saying that goes along the lines of 'rest on your laurels and they turn to holly' .... I've tried it and trust me the little pricks hurt!
London, United Kingdom
“Personal service and top food”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Friends took us here and we were really made to feel welcome. Really great and interesting food, plus it was family friendly, and we will definitely go back.

Visited August 2013
Hi MargaritaMum ... glad you enjoyed your visit to Lucy's ... it's great when people recommend us to their friends - Lucy's is such a personal space that what might suit one person doesn't necessarily hit the spot for the next (as the variation of our reviews bears testimony!) so I'm delighted that you enjoyed all that we have to offer ...although I'm sad that you feel obliged to state that we're family friendly ... isn't that a sad reflection of our society nowadays that not all places welcome families or make appropriate spaces for different needs? We welcome everyone and have space in our hearts and our restaurant for all sorts - whether you dine with family, friends, loved ones or simply on your own you'll be welcome - dogs too! We're a bit of everything for everyone - that's because we have three different areas so you won't feel surrounded by 'romance' if you're on a family holiday nor will you feel in a kennel if you don't bring your dog!! For the most part we manage the spaces we have in a sympathetic and good way thus creating the kind of atmosphere you want to experience (without it being canned of course!) So, hurry back and see us again before too long ... either with or without the full team! xx
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Too much cake!”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We decided to call in for tea and cake on a Sunday afternoon having been before and enjoyed the experience. It was pleasantly quiet and the service was good. Drinks were good as usual and the cakes were lovely but I ordered the chocolate fudge cake and it was far too big! I have a very sweet tooth and love chocolate but because of the size of the slice it became far too sickly as I worked my way through it and had to leave some which is most unlike me! I really would have enjoyed it far more if the slice had been smaller.

• Visited September 2013
Oh BillyBear ... how can you have too much cake? If you've got too much then share it with someone else ... it's so difficult to know what's big to one person and tiddly to another - so we have to have an 'inbetweenie' that hopefully hits the spot - I'm sorry that you were outfaced - we would have happily wrapped it up for you to take away and enjoy either the next day or later ... I can't decide whether I'm delighted that you've put such a review on TA or saddened to think that everyone will think our cake pieces are the size of the Titanic when they're just 'regular' to the majority please don't expect a 'Matilda' size Chocolate portion when you come in everyone reading this - but we shall make sure that 'you have your cake and eat it' - from Chocolate to Carrot, Gluten Free, Lemon, Stripey Cake, Cumberland Dream Cake and so much more .... all made here at Lucy's!
Stockport
“Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We have holidayed in the Lakes for many years, sadly this was only our second visit in 12 months and we were again impressed to be warmly greeted by Lucy herself, the lady is tireless in making sure that all guests feel at home. The staff are pleasant and helpful and the food is scrumptious. It was, as last time, the perfect end to a wonderful day. Other family members visited on different days and came back equally delighted. Lucy's is a place to relax and enjoy food - we will be back again next year :-)

• Visited September 2013
Dear Pearlfisher (great name ... ) thank you for your lovely review and your positive comments - the staff work every bit as hard as I do (maybe not for quite as long!) but with a desire to please as well as having fun at work - we love to 'play' with the customers - our American friends call it 'fish throwing' ... perhaps it should be 'pearl' throwing too! I'm delighted that your extended family enjoyed what we had to offer too and we shall look forward to seeing you on your next visit - I'm sure that 2014 will be here before we know it! All good wishes, xx